Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Turn Out Okay?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/23/2012 1:16 pm

Anyone here turn out okay (Acne wise) after taking long-term doses of antibiotics? Or did you have to take the accutane route to finally become clear?

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 09/23/2012 1:33 pm

I didn't make it on long term antibiotics. After about 4 months I started getting insomnia and ringing in the ears, so I stopped taking the doxycycline. Antibiotics are not the answer. They only work while you are on them, and they stop working right after you stop taking them. So if you take them, you will have to stop when your bacteria becomes resistant, or when you start getting side effects, and then you will still have acne.

At least Accutane has a chance of putting acne into long term remission, but it is still dangerous.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/23/2012 1:33 pm

Hi, i'd be surprised if you found someone who was clear long term from antibiotics. In the long term, they are bad bad bad for your system and should only be taken for a short amount of time if at all. Make sure you also are taking probiotics.

Accutane is also a serious job with side effects that may or may not affect you long term.

Weight your pros and cons before going down the route and ask yourself:

have you tried diet changes (for 3 months at least)

supplements

topicals

BCP/Spiro

looked into PCOS

If you have exhausted all other options then accutane may be the next logical step. Good luck with your decision.

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 09/23/2012 3:58 pm

doxy + topicals cleared me up two years ago. i then used retinoid/BP combo for maintenance and I was clear as long as i used them.

but then this summer i broke out in severe, bleeding acne after taking septra for a skin infection followed by doxy and now i'm facing the worst acne in my life.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/24/2012 4:46 pm

I didn't make it on long term antibiotics. After about 4 months I started getting insomnia and ringing in the ears, so I stopped taking the doxycycline. Antibiotics are not the answer. They only work while you are on them, and they stop working right after you stop taking them. So if you take them, you will have to stop when your bacteria becomes resistant, or when you start getting side effects, and then you will still have acne.

At least Accutane has a chance of putting acne into long term remission, but it is still dangerous.

umm, 4 months is long-term my friend. I took doxycycline hyclate (100 mg 2x a day) for 4 months, and i consider this to be WAY TOO long.

I would like to reiterate that i don't think anyone got permanently clear BECAUSE they used antibiotics long-term (i.e. antibiotics treated their acne). What i am asking is did anyone here become 100 % clear in the future DESPITE taking antibiotics (and not taking accutane)?

doxy + topicals cleared me up two years ago. i then used retinoid/BP combo for maintenance and I was clear as long as i used them.

but then this summer i broke out in severe, bleeding acne after taking septra for a skin infection followed by doxy and now i'm facing the worst acne in my life.

How long were you on the doxy for two years ago? What dosage?

Did you have any stress when you broke out this summer in severe acne? Did it only occur after you took septra, or did it happen after you took doxy the second time around?

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 09/24/2012 10:02 pm

umm, 4 months is long-term my friend. I took doxycycline hyclate (100 mg 2x a day) for 4 months, and i consider this to be WAY TOO long.

I would like to reiterate that i don't think anyone got permanently clear BECAUSE they used antibiotics long-term (i.e. antibiotics treated their acne). What i am asking is did anyone here become 100 % clear in the future DESPITE taking antibiotics (and not taking accutane)?

Well it depends on what you consider long term. And yea, I thought you were asking if you should take antibiotics long term.

To actually answer your question, I took antibiotics for 4 months and I have not been able to become clear(or close to clear) holistically yet. But my acne was pretty bad before the antibiotics, and I don't know if the antibiotics had any log term effects on my acne.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/24/2012 11:54 pm

do you have a photo of your acne?

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 09/25/2012 11:31 am

No, the only camera I have is on my phone, and the picture quality is pretty bad.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/25/2012 6:19 pm

how many pimples do you have on any given time?

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 09/26/2012 10:07 pm

On average, I have about 4 active pimples, 10 healing pimples, and a bunch of red marks from weeks or months ago.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/27/2012 6:10 pm

thats not bad at all mate. I have it similar on my face, and i dont find it an issue. My back/shoulders, however, are a different problem.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/28/2012 3:33 am

I really want people to take notice to this thread.

I took oral antibiotics (doxyccline 100mg 2x a day) for 4 months. Because i took antibiotics, my acne went from mild, to moderate. My acne is now ALL over my back/shoulders.

On top of this, i have seborrheic dermatitis ALL OVER my face.

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 09/28/2012 5:53 pm

I really want people to take notice to this thread.

I took oral antibiotics (doxyccline 100mg 2x a day) for 4 months. Because i took antibiotics, my acne went from mild, to moderate. My acne is now ALL over my back/shoulders.

On top of this, i have seborrheic dermatitis ALL OVER my face.

I agree with this. Antibiotics gave me severe chest acne when before I had clear skin.

How are you treating your body acne btw, whoartthou?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/28/2012 8:15 pm

i honestly have no idea what to do rentedname. No fking idea. I used antibiotics 2 years ago... the acne is still here

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/03/2012 3:05 am

bump. There has to be someone who has cleared themselves of acne even after taking a course of antibiotics..

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/07/2012 8:22 pm

NO one? :((

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 10/09/2012 12:40 am

yo, i'm currently doing very well on a strict diet + water only washing regimen. my diet is basically paleo. salad and chicken breast for every meal. eat plenty of fruits throughout the day. no nuts. only oils are olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil (no standard cooking oils). no wheat or dairy.

i have one active pimple. a bunch of scars, red marks, and generally horrible skin besides that.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 11/15/2012 4:16 am

Hey man, is the paleo diet working for you?