Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nyla

How Do I Stop Living In The Past?

i used to have bad acne and tons of red marks on my face when i was 16 but it's cleared up significantly(i'm 18).. i still have some hyperpigmentation and rolling scars but i'd say my skin improved up to about 85-90%. i have pictures i took with my friends where my skin was at its worst and when i look at them they make me depressed and i feel 'unworthy' because i used to look so bad. it's like i'm living in the past. i'm happy that my skin is better now but i still beat myself up for looking like that. i feel disgusting. i don't feel that disgusting NOW, but i feel like the disgusting old me. if that makes sense.

Maybe you should take a picture of you the way you are now and just look at that. haha Just stop looking at the old one. =] Also, just stop yourself when you notice yourself starting to put yourself down; you've got to put a stop to negative thinking! I believe it's in a lot of people's control. :nod:

I think I understand what you mean. I often look at old pictures of myself when my acne was at my worst. The scars remind me of those times, and I can't help but remember how hard it was then. The strange thing for me though is that I seemed to care less about my skin when I was younger, like 2 years ago or so. I had a great job at the time, had a great girlfriend at the time...life was pretty sweet! I guess as I got older I started spending more time obsessing about my skin and noticing my flaws more frequently. So now I feel like I look 95% better than I did about 2 years ago when my acne was really bad, but my life is very different now. Job situation could be much better (searching and applying every day, won't give up) and I've adopted kind of a lonewolf mentality and I don't date nearly as much as I used to (feel like it's harder to put myself out there these days with girls, so I rarely do it) but yeah...the past is always gonna be there, and the scars will always remind us. We just have to rise above that and keep looking towards the future, because there's always a chance to create new, lasting memories for ourselves.

i used to have bad acne and tons of red marks on my face when i was 16 but it's cleared up significantly(i'm 18).. i still have some hyperpigmentation and rolling scars but i'd say my skin improved up to about 85-90%. i have pictures i took with my friends where my skin was at its worst and when i look at them they make me depressed and i feel 'unworthy' because i used to look so bad. it's like i'm living in the past. i'm happy that my skin is better now but i still beat myself up for looking like that. i feel disgusting. i don't feel that disgusting NOW, but i feel like the disgusting old me. if that makes sense.

I've said it a million times on here. Acne is more of a mental battle than physical

Like you i went through the same thing. Got my acne under control but was still depressed. Truth i was using acne as a scapegoat for other areas in my life that wasn't right and i tend to find this the case with most other people.

We get comfortable with being unhappy. We comfortably drown in it. When that scapegoat is gone we are still left with the underline reason to why we are unhappy for which we blamed acne for many years.

I would suggest really think about what you're not happy with in your life. It could be something silly like you're not happy with what you're studying or where you are working. Or could be someone in your life bringing you down.

Be brutally honest with yourself and see if you can isolate what is bringing you down.

I went through this exact problem and all along it wasn't acne. I was hanging out with the wrong people, my girlfriend at the time was bad for me and i hated my job. I changed all of those things and never looked back. It didn't happen overnight but after i made changes i was happy and still am. I was 22 when i done that and i am now 28.

Just some things I like to say to myself..

"The only thing that matters now? IS NOW"

"The past is the past and thats all it is"

Whats helped me is understanding that no matter how much I wish i could change the past, wish things had been different, I coiuld sit here and think about it all day and guess what... it won't change anything. Forget it.. move on.. you have to other wise you will forever be in the vicious cycle. Break that cycle.. now.