Notifications
Clear all

People Who Break Out From Probiotics

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 09/22/2012 9:55 pm

have any of you guys waited out the breakouts and it eventually cleared you up?

I'm currently breaking out from probiotics and I was wondering if this "initial breakout" thing really is just temporary

EDIT:

Just to clarify guys, I take both VSL#3 supplements (currently ramping up) and water kefir. After experimenting with each one, I've found that I break out from the VSL 3 and not from water kefir, which is non-dairy.

My concern is whether or not people have been through an initial breakout and then experienced success, regardless of the particular probiotic sources.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/22/2012 11:41 pm

Supplements or yoghurt etc?

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 09/22/2012 11:42 pm

I did not wait it out. Posting here to keep this thread in my feed.

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 09/23/2012 2:18 am

either or. as long as you had an initial breakout when taking it

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 09/23/2012 6:06 am

didn't wait long enough here. broke me out horribly in 2 days.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/23/2012 7:17 am

either or. as long as you had an initial breakout when taking it

Well yoghurt is dairy (unless you get dairy-free) which possibly did it, never heard about the supplements doing it unless it's a period of purging

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/23/2012 3:23 pm

Does not break me out. If you're taking a probiotic that is not properly coated so that the capsule reaches your small intestine, I would be wary. A lot of the cheaper ones aren't properly coated.

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 09/23/2012 3:43 pm

Just to clarify guys, I take both VSL#3 supplements (currently ramping up) and water kefir. After experimenting with each one, I've found that I break out from the VSL 3 and not from water kefir, which is non-dairy.

My concern is whether or not people have been through an initial breakout and then experienced success, regardless of the particular probiotic sources.

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 09/24/2012 12:43 am

Did not wait out the initial breakout. Took probiotics for three days and contiuned breaking out extremely bad for the week following. The probiotics I took were coated to reach the small intestine, were refrigerated and the culture count was in the billions. When I eat probiotic yoghurt I do not experience breakouts, or when I take antifungal/anti-microbial substances. Just from the probiotic supplements.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/24/2012 3:17 am

Probiotics do not work for every one specifically some strains. Get it from natural sources as much as possible.

MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 09/24/2012 8:06 am

I've been taking a powdered probiotic (not in capsules) and have not been breaking out. When I started, however, I did have some problems with it, both instestinal and on the skin (not too severe though), which led me to quit. I decided to start taking it again (+ water kefir grains) and it seems to be working quite well, but it's still too soon to tell. I'd say you should try less intense probiotics, isn't VSL medical grade stuff?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/24/2012 3:34 pm

Some people say they break out from the foods and not the supplements. Others say the opposite. I can only think that it has to do with what strains of bacteria are new to their intestines, and how damaged their intestines are in the first place.

I have always broke out pretty horribly from probiotic supplements, but I seem to be able to eat kimchi just fine. I don't know if this is because I started with kimchi in very small amounts. I'd have maybe a spoonful with a full plate of regular food. Over time, I've ramped it up to about three spoonfuls per plate of food, and sometimes more than one per day, too. I'm getting ready to begin experimenting with water kefir and am going to start the same way: very slowly. Maybe one spoonful at first, gradually working up to where I can actually drink a whole glass of it as if it were a soda or something.

I'll let you guys know what happens. My kefir should be ready to go later this week.

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 09/25/2012 2:05 am

Did not wait out the initial breakout. Took probiotics for three days and contiuned breaking out extremely bad for the week following. The probiotics I took were coated to reach the small intestine, were refrigerated and the culture count was in the billions. When I eat probiotic yoghurt I do not experience breakouts, or when I take antifungal/anti-microbial substances. Just from the probiotic supplements.

it's such a dilemma when you're breaking out on probiotics :/ i've had digestion problems ever since i was young and can trace that back to multiple courses of antibiotics. i just know that my gut is the answer to my acne problems... and yet i'm breaking out from probiotics when i finally get to taking them. UGH. did the probiotic yogurt do anything for you?

Probiotics do not work for every one specifically some strains. Get it from natural sources as much as possible.

hmm, i've been told this before. i read somewhere that a cup of water kefir only provides bacteria count in the millions, whereas something like VSL 3 gives you 450 billion per satchet. Did you personally experience success with natural probiotics?

I've been taking a powdered probiotic (not in capsules) and have not been breaking out. When I started, however, I did have some problems with it, both instestinal and on the skin (not too severe though), which led me to quit. I decided to start taking it again (+ water kefir grains) and it seems to be working quite well, but it's still too soon to tell. I'd say you should try less intense probiotics, isn't VSL medical grade stuff?

Please keep us posted!! how long have you been taking them so far? And to answer your question, I gave a jarrow 10 billion count brand a good few weeks to no avail, which is why I opted for VSL 3. Even then I am taking about 1/3rd of a satchet per day...

Some people say they break out from the foods and not the supplements. Others say the opposite. I can only think that it has to do with what strains of bacteria are new to their intestines, and how damaged their intestines are in the first place.

I have always broke out pretty horribly from probiotic supplements, but I seem to be able to eat kimchi just fine. I don't know if this is because I started with kimchi in very small amounts. I'd have maybe a spoonful with a full plate of regular food. Over time, I've ramped it up to about three spoonfuls per plate of food, and sometimes more than one per day, too. I'm getting ready to begin experimenting with water kefir and am going to start the same way: very slowly. Maybe one spoonful at first, gradually working up to where I can actually drink a whole glass of it as if it were a soda or something.

I'll let you guys know what happens. My kefir should be ready to go later this week.

Awesome, please keep us posted! Do you have preexisting digestion problems?

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/25/2012 2:13 am

I used to drink home made dairy kefir which cleared me instantly.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/26/2012 7:39 am

Awesome, please keep us posted! Do you have preexisting digestion problems?

Before I was gluten free I was always constipated. Sometimes I wouldn't even go for 3-4 days at a time. I thought it was normal until I began healing. Over the years as I moved from the standard american diet to gluten free, to being free of other grains and dairy and then all processed foods, my body began operating normally. I never have gas, bloating, or stomach aches anymore. It seems like the body heals from the inside out though, and my acne is the most difficult thing to heal.

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 09/26/2012 11:47 am

Ive tried 3 different probiotic brands and everytime they made me break out. Was not willing to wait to see if it was an initial break out, F that. shit was serious.

MemberMember
(@alexisc)

Posted : 09/26/2012 2:07 pm

it's such a dilemma when you're breaking out on probiotics :/ i've had digestion problems ever since i was young and can trace that back to multiple courses of antibiotics. i just know that my gut is the answer to my acne problems... and yet i'm breaking out from probiotics when i finally get to taking them. UGH. did the probiotic yogurt do anything for you?

Probiotic yoghurt has helped me! I have been using a store bought kind but I think if you were to make your own yoghurt it would have even more benefits. I'm one of the people who breaks out from supplements but not from natural sources so I'm looking to add in other sources of stonger probiotics now that I have been eating yoghurt daily for about 4 months. It makes me feel great and has resolved some of my health issues but I know I need to step it up to continue healing.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/26/2012 4:36 pm

Probiotic yoghurt has helped me! I have been using a store bought kind but I think if you were to make your own yoghurt it would have even more benefits. I'm one of the people who breaks out from supplements but not from natural sources so I'm looking to add in other sources of stonger probiotics now that I have been eating yoghurt daily for about 4 months. It makes me feel great and has resolved some of my health issues but I know I need to step it up to continue healing.

Do you react to dairy in general?

MemberMember
(@jeyneg)

Posted : 09/26/2012 10:59 pm

Can it be the brand of the probiotics you are taking? Have you tried any other brands?

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 09/28/2012 2:34 am

I used to drink home made dairy kefir which cleared me instantly.

Can you describe your story in more depth? I'm trying to find some commonalities... how bad was your acne? did you have any other bodily problems, such as bad digestion? also, when you say instantly, you mean within a few days of drinking it?

Can it be the brand of the probiotics you are taking? Have you tried any other brands?

hmm... it definitely could be. i think you're on to something here. i'm taking VSL 3 and ramping it up, but it's been making me constipated and arguably worse in all aspects even at low doses. I think I'm going to try some whole food probiotics instead. I will keep you guys updated.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/28/2012 2:42 am

My acne was moderate. If you can make home made kefir preferably goat milk it will give u glowing skin after few weeks. Any fermentation contains alcohol and I don't recommend it drinking long term. Later I started juicing vegetables carrot, cucumber, celery, dandelion greens, powdered wheat grass which kept my skin clear.

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 10/12/2012 2:33 am

Hey guys, here's an update.

after about a month of probiotics (vsl 3 1/3rd satchet), i decided to stop taking them and see what happened. it's been about 2 weeks now and the result is that my moderate/severe acne turned into mild/moderate. i still get acne, but its not deep under the skin. i think the amount or type of probiotic that i was taking just wasn't the right balance for my own personal gut flora.

i still have digestive issues and acne so the problem is not yet resolved. i guess this means i have to try other probiotics and figure out the right blend for me personally.

MemberMember
(@danny-lingo)

Posted : 10/12/2012 11:10 pm

Does the probiotic make you continuously break out severe? Or just at first?

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 10/13/2012 4:06 am

i experienced an initial breakout period of about 3-4 days, which tapers down a lot. then during continuous usage i was getting about one to four new deeply inflamed pimples every week. right now i hardly get any. i think the initial breakout should only last a few days at most. if you sense that something is wrong after a week, then it probably isn't going to get any better.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/13/2012 9:55 am

I think the key is adding the probiotics super slowly. Which is one thing that is impossible to do with those pills that contain billions of organisms.

Last year, I attempted water kefir. I started with a glass, and had a terrible reaction. Very, very bad breakouts. I stopped, thinking it wasn't good for me.

Now that I'm back on the gut healing/gut flora mission, I tried water kefir again. This time, I began with one spoonful. I did one spoonful a day for a week. Then I did two spoonfuls a day for half a week. Then I tried three spoonfuls for a couple days. All of that time I saw minimal negative side effects, so I drank a whole glass. No breakouts! In fact, drinking the whole glass seemed to make the old leftover breakouts heal faster.

I now believe that I simply introduced it far too quickly the first time.