Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DxyxFunction

If I Become A Vegan, What Would I Substitute Meat For To Get My Energy And Steady My Weight?

I...I'm considering becoming a vegeteratian, but what would I substitute the meat for? I am very skinny and weight 100 pounds, if I take meat out of my diet wouldn't it make a very big impact? Help?

Ops I mean vegeterian, also...is eating wheat bad for you? Whole wheat? White wheat? So what should I eat to replace these?

Nuts, eggs, beans. Those will all help you with some protein that will be much needed.

Whole wheat to me doesn't have any benefits, a lot of people have allergies, intolerances, and just plain can't digest it well. To get the fiber you need eat lots of fruits, leafy greens, corn, beans, rice, etc.

You'll be fine. :P

Do hardcore yoga and juicing first before turning to a vegetarian. If not meat fish should be part of a healthy diet.

Protein is not an issue in a vegan diet when done correctly - in fact, the only possible issue with a vegan diet is B12 and possibly D, which are very easily supplemented. Legumes, grains (just avoid glutein-containing ones if you wish), tofu, seitan, etc. are quite packed with protein. But if you're still wary about it, you can buy a vegan protein supplement http://www.sunwarrior.com/.

Edited by luizedu

Please be careful. I know many people will say that you will get plenty of protein on a vegan diet but that isn't the case for a lot of us. It wasn't the case for me. You also have to take into account that things like beans and grains are not good things to base your diet on. They aren't good for the gut and many people with skin problems have gut and digestion issues. If you have leaky gut (not saying you do--just be aware), the last thing on earth you want to do is remove healthy sources of protein (meats, fish) and replace them by loading up on grains and beans.

Do what feels right for your body, just avoid the vegan dogma type stuff and be open to the possibility that this doesn't work for everyone. Many more of us seem to have success doing the Paleo diet or something similar, which is basically the complete opposite of the diets being mentioned here.

Oh-- and for any vegetarians who think corn is a good idea, at least make sure you are eating organic corn. Check out the latest findings about GMO (non organic) corn:

http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz26wQsnVCb

Edited by dejaclairevoyant

Please be careful. I know many people will say that you will get plenty of protein on a vegan diet but that isn't the case for a lot of us. It wasn't the case for me. You also have to take into account that things like beans and grains are not good things to base your diet on. They aren't good for the gut and many people with skin problems have gut and digestion issues. If you have leaky gut (not saying you do--just be aware), the last thing on earth you want to do is remove healthy sources of protein (meats, fish) and replace them by loading up on grains and beans.

Do what feels right for your body, just avoid the vegan dogma type stuff and be open to the possibility that this doesn't work for everyone. Many more of us seem to have success doing the Paleo diet or something similar, which is basically the complete opposite of the diets being mentioned here.

Oh-- and for any vegetarians who think corn is a good idea, at least make sure you are eating organic corn. Check out the latest findings about GMO (non organic) corn:

There is significant criticism over this study. Researchers have written it off as the results are not statistically significant. http://takingstock.asas.org/?p=5304

People on this board seem so comfortabe throwing around anti-GMO stuff. There is TONS of misinformation for GMOs on BOTH SIDES on the internet. Be sure to keep this in mind when reading about GMOs.

Edited by asdf12321asdf

There is significant criticism over this study. Researchers have written it off as the results are not statistically significant. http://takingstock.asas.org/?p=5304

People on this board seem so comfortabe throwing around anti-GMO stuff. There is TONS of misinformation for GMOs on BOTH SIDES on the internet. Be sure to keep this in mind when reading about GMOs.

Why does that matter though? I don't care what people think of that study, either way it doesn't make sense to eat GMO food when you could be eating real food.

I'm surprised no one mentioned quinoa. It's an amazing source of vegan protein, and very easily prepared. Also, smoothies with hemp seeds for protein and chia seeds to balance your omega 3 fatty acids would be a nice, filling breakfast or lunch, perhaps with some blueberries for antioxidants and throw in some greens as well. Just don't go super heavy on the gluten grains and white rice, as that's a surefire way to be an unhealthy vegetarian (Which I had done for quite awhile..)

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I have a ton of vegan/vegetarian recipes, a lot of which contain acne-healthy vegan proteins.