Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tomasson

Oily Skin Because Of... Eating?

Hello everyone.

I've been to a dermatologist many times but neither his advice nor his medicines helped. Frustrated and angry I started to search for information about curing seborrhea on my own and eventually stumbled across diet issue.

I got a bit confused because I didn't know what types of food I should avoid. Many sources give different opinions so I decided to do a test first.

One day I had ONLY scrambled eggs for breakfast and a chicken breast with cabbage for lunch. What I realized was that the next day I woke up my skin wasn't oily at all, although for the last 12 months I had been waking up with tons of oil on my face every single day.

Obviously I couldn't eat that way any longer so after giving the 'diet' up my skin got oily again. But since then I've known that my acne is related to diet.

My question is: what can be the cause of my acne? Can it be a yeast infection in my gut? I'm especially curios about the fact that the problem was gone so soon after doing the test and eating only eggs and a small amount of meat. Symptoms of what disease could disappear so quickly?

Are you a skinny person who eats as much as or more than a big person? I think that may be a lot of my own problem.

My weight is 64kg, height 177cm, 17 year old. Yes, I am a bit skinny but not anorectic (rather sporty :) ).

Frankly speaking, recently I realized I can eat really much - even more than my father - and like eating between meals.

I had stopped eating diary a few months before the test and although there were less pimples, oily skin remained. I am not even sure whether pimples disappeared because of that or maybe something else.

Moreover, encouraged by such a positive result of my 'diet' I decided to cutt sugars off, you know - no bread, no pasta, no rice, no carbohydrates - just vegetables and meat. After two days there was no improvement, it got even a bit worse after eating a whole packet of bacon for supper - the next day my skin was crying out for washing.

I know that two days it's not enought to judge but I can't eat that way cause I just feel sick.

I've noticed anytime I eat something I'm intolerant to my face and hair are much oilier the next day. Since you know it's connected to diet, why not try an elimination diet to find out the specific food that is setting it off.

Just so you know, when testosterone is too high or estrogen is too low (or both), your oil production ramps up. Dairy and sugar stimulate a testosterone increase (see Dr. Hyman's article on this). I'm sure other foods have hormonal responses, I just don't know what they are.

Other lifestyle aspects affect the level of testosterone and hence oily skin. Exercise, especially muscle-building activities, triggers DHT (dihydrotestosterone), for one.

Edited by Green Gables

I'd rather say it's a matter of digestion problems, not hormons.

I hadn't said that before, but I realized that after eating most foods I have terrible gases (btw they are really stinky) and my belly is really inflated. I also feel like everything inside me is swimming and bubbling which I find annoying as well.

I also have digestive problems after eating a chewing gum. One is enough to make me suffer a horrible pain caused by flatulence which go away only after I spend some time on my pan.

Has anyone else experienced symptoms like these and found out what was the cause?

I'd rather say it's a matter of digestion problems, not hormons.

I hadn't said that before, but I realized that after eating most foods I have terrible gases (btw they are really stinky) and my belly is really inflated. I also feel like everything inside me is swimming and bubbling which I find annoying as well.

I also have digestive problems after eating a chewing gum. One is enough to make me suffer a horrible pain caused by flatulence which go away only after I spend some time on my pan.

Has anyone else experienced symptoms like these and found out what was the cause?

When I was younger I was diagnosed with IBS and given prescription antacids which made it worse. Turned out I actually had LOW stomach acid which makes digestion terrible. Too high or too low stomach acid ironically have almost identical symptoms. After 3 months on Betaine HCL at every meal the bloating etc. stopped.

When I was younger I was diagnosed with IBS and given prescription antacids which made it worse. Turned out I actually had LOW stomach acid which makes digestion terrible. Too high or too low stomach acid ironically have almost identical symptoms. After 3 months on Betaine HCL at every meal the bloating etc. stopped.

Did IBS cause your acne problems or after healing it you saw no improvement in your skin?

Did IBS cause your acne problems or after healing it you saw no improvement in your skin?

It didn't seem to have any relation to my skin. I had IBS at age 10-11, before acne, yes that's really young, no I don't know why my body is so messed up. I didn't really hit puberty until 13, when the acne set in. My IBS "resolved" with betaine HCL at about age...16? But it didn't help my skin.

My digestion definitely affects my health and energy levels but after dealing with this for so long, I'm very convinced that my acne is purely hormonal.

Edited by Green Gables

Hello everyone.

I've been to a dermatologist many times but neither his advice nor his medicines helped. Frustrated and angry I started to search for information about curing seborrhea on my own and eventually stumbled across diet issue.

I got a bit confused because I didn't know what types of food I should avoid. Many sources give different opinions so I decided to do a test first.

One day I had ONLY scrambled eggs for breakfast and a chicken breast with cabbage for lunch. What I realized was that the next day I woke up my skin wasn't oily at all, although for the last 12 months I had been waking up with tons of oil on my face every single day.

Obviously I couldn't eat that way any longer so after giving the 'diet' up my skin got oily again. But since then I've known that my acne is related to diet.

My question is: what can be the cause of my acne? Can it be a yeast infection in my gut? I'm especially curios about the fact that the problem was gone so soon after doing the test and eating only eggs and a small amount of meat. Symptoms of what disease could disappear so quickly?

Diet affects so many of the factors involved in acne--hormones, inflammation and the function of various organs that manage those being the biggest. Oily skin is just one, and oily skin doesn't really cause acne. It just doesn't help.

And you don't necessarily have any disease. It's just that the average diet today is really, really bad for your and the reason everyone is so sickly with screwed up hormones, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, emotional/mental problems, etc.