Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, so until the beginning of this year, I've always had pretty manageable skin... Breakouts here and there whenever I was on my period or wasn't eating right, but most of the time, my skin was perfectly fine and I barely wore makeup.

However, all of a sudden in the span of about 2 weeks, my face erupted with a bunch of white heads and puss-filled nodules around my T-zone... in a matter of weeks, that spread all around my face, and cysts and nodules started popping up. It's been about 5+ months, and it still continues to erupt. I've tried Yaz - but it just made my face 10 times worse and made me go INSANE. I also could not breathe while on it.

I'm currently on minocycline, and it is helping a little, but it definitely isn't clearing up much. I eat very healthy and exercise on a daily basis. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, and have no clue as to what I should do. Derm told me awhile ago the mlno should have cleared it up - it hasn't, obviously. From having perfectly clear skin to this, I don't know how to deal with it.

My story is totally similar. I was taking Levora and my face was a WRECK. I recently started taking it again just to see what would happen and I totally regret it because now I have two cysts on my face and I'm getting a pimple on my neck. I was on minocycline but that did nothing for me. My last resort was accutane and even though I was only on it for a month it definitely helped. I had to stop because I moved and changing doctors was a hassle but I am definitely going back on it when I start working again.

So are you even open to hormonal treatment, or are you planning on only using topicals?

I'm open to anything that isn't hormone related - I'm scared to go on accutane, especially because of the side effects and initial breakout... i'm sensitive to a lot of medications, and even the mino i'm on is giving me some issues. so would my only option be accutane? saywhat.gif

So are you even open to hormonal treatment, or are you planning on only using topicals?

I'm open to anything that isn't hormone related - I'm scared to go on accutane, especially because of the side effects and initial breakout... i'm sensitive to a lot of medications, and even the mino i'm on is giving me some issues. so would my only option be accutane? saywhat.gif

If you didn't like Yaz, you could go on a different birth control. Dianette is a BC that was specifically made for acne sufferers. Orthocept is another good one.

I had huge success with spironolactone. It's an Rx anti-androgen. There are also natural anti-androgens you can get, such as saw palmetto, stinging nettle. pygeum, or pumpkin seed oil. Taken regularly at the right dose, they can stop excess androgens from creating acne.

Accutane has its purpose, but I find it is a poor choice for adult acne. When you're getting acne as an adult there's usually a hormonal issue going on that your body didn't "grow out" of. Since all Accutane does is temporarily shrink your sebaceous glands (which slowly grow back so your oil production returns), this doesn't solve the core issue.

Edited by Green Gables

I like you, did not get acne until I was your age ( 19 to be exact). I flat out refused accutane even though it was offered/highly suggested to me by every single derm I saw. I would say from 19-22 I had on and off moderate acne, nothing to horrendous. That all changed when I turned 23 and developed the most severe cystic acne of my life!! MORAL of the story here is that when I was 20 years old my dermatologist at the time told me that I was making a huge mistake by refusing the accutane. In fact, I believe his exact words were "I can assure you that if you don't take this drug now while you don't have any scarring you will regret it. I promise you will be in your mid twenties still crying over your acne wishing you would have taken care of it sooner." WELP... here I am now in my mid twenties still with acne ( only now it is much much worse) and about to take the accutane plunge. SO, if I could go back to the age you are now I would have taken the accutane in a heartbeat!!

That's just my opinion. I don't blame you for not wanting to take it because I have refused it for so long as well and now I am just sick and tired of having acne. Definitely try every option available before seriously considering accutane but if your acne is like mine and is unresponsive to alternative treatments than do yourself a favor and get accutane over with now.