Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
suferer

Regimen Is Not A Solution

I think that the message Dan is spreading is wrong. Acne shouldn't be treated this way. I tried to use the regiment and even after 3 months I still had acne and burned skin (my skin did not adjust do BP), I used moisturiser etc....

Acne is inside problem, it's not caused by what's outside. That's why it should only be treated topically as a secondary way to treat acne.

I think topical antibiotics like tetracyclin are way better. I know they may cause resistant to antibiotics acne and that BP has similar effectiveness although much worse side effects on skin and many users report that their skin becomes dependant on BP anyway and worsens dramatically after stopping BP use.

Tetracycline does not leave my skin dry, red or burned.

I was very pessimistic about dairy causing acne but after I tried it, it really did improve my skin a lot.

One weekend when I ate a lot of dairy, I got 5 new pimples, even though I didn't get a single one whole month before that weekend when I was not eating any dairy also I had zero pimples.

I am not lactose intolerant and I have no allergy to dairy. It's not the dairy itself that causes acne, but hormones inside it.

Even natural milk that my grandma milked herself 60 years ago was full of hormones. It's just the way it is. Cows are often pregnant and that makes it worse. It's estimated that milk contains about 50-65 hormones including those that are scientifically connected with acne.

Besides acne IS always caused by hormone imbalance. Genes, stress ,etc, can contribute or even be the primary cause but in the end that will affect your hormonal balance and only then acne. Hormones controls how much your sebaceous glands will secrete oil.

I found that I can eat as much chocolate as I want (dairy free) and I get no acne from it including other sugary sweets etc.

Also my digestive system is in a way better state than it was when I was using dairy products perhaps because I do have some problems with lactose.

Edited by suferer

Tetracycline will give u temporary relief and will weaken ur immune by killing all the bad bacteria

Tetracycline will give u temporary relief and will weaken ur immune by killing all the bad bacteria

^this.

and also, the regimen is the best solution for alot of people when weighing pros and cons. Diet will not always fix acne. everyone is different.

My acne was definitely caused by hormones and The Regimen did not work for me, but I don't have a problem with Dan's message. It worked for him and if he wants to spread that message I'm fine with it, especially on the board he's hosting for us :) It can be a good band-aid for people whose hormones naturally balance out with age. I also don't think we know EVERYTHING about acne. For some people, it's hormones. For others, bad cosmetics or irritating face products. Some have problems with diet.

Also I wouldn't be too quick to start advertising antibiotics as the solution. I've been on over 10 courses of different antibiotics and I became resistant to all of them. Antibiotics long-term really shoot the hell out of your immune system (see Dr. Ayers studies on this if you want the science).

Edited by Green Gables

The regimen can be the solution for some. If it works for someone and they are happy to continue using BP to maintain clear skin then there's no reason why they shouldn't use it.

Personally BP wasn't something that worked wonders for me and I didn't want to keep using it, so I'm looking into and trying different things.

I think that the message Dan is spreading is wrong. Acne shouldn't be treated this way. I tried to use the regiment and even after 3 months I still had acne and burned skin (my skin did not adjust do BP), I used moisturiser etc....

Acne is inside problem, it's not caused by what's outside. That's why it should only be treated topically as a secondary way to treat acne.

I think topical antibiotics like tetracyclin are way better. I know they may cause resistant to antibiotics acne and that BP has similar effectiveness although much worse side effects on skin and many users report that their skin becomes dependant on BP anyway and worsens dramatically after stopping BP use.

Tetracycline does not leave my skin dry, red or burned.

1. Tetracycline isn't used topically as much as before (wasn't it about the first topical antibiotic for acne and wasn't its use limited due to poor skin penetration?).

2. Skin does not become dependent on BP. Contrary to antibiotics, there's no way bacteria can become resistant to oxygen.

If acne is an inside problem, then why do you say that topical tetracycline is way better? Topical = not treating it from the inside.

^this.

and also, the regimen is the best solution for alot of people when weighing pros and cons. Diet will not always fix acne. everyone is different.

^ This! While coaching some people, trying everything available, I've come to the conclusion that BP is by far the best solution for them. They've tried diet, sulphur, tea tree oil, manuka oil/honey, salicylic acid, several AHA's, several essential oils, niacinamide gel, silicol gel, vitamins, supplements, weird Chinese solutions, doing nothing, etc. etc. etc. While all these treatments were promising at first, they failed miserably in the end. BP got rid of their acne. They've tried them all for some months, so it's not a matter of not giving it enough time. They could have saved a lot of time (years, in fact), money and frustration, if it wasn't for the scare-mongering that kept them from using BP in the first place. I'm not saying other methods don't work, they probably will for some people, but from my experience they don't work nearly as well as BP.

Is BP/the regimen the solution for everyone? Probably not, but it definitely is a proven method, and it should work for the majority. Is it a cure? No, there is no cure for acne, only treatments, until you "grow out" of it.

I really don't think Dan's is trying to spread a message that his Regimen is the cure for acne. I think Dan is just sharing his experience and success with using BP as a way to manage and control acne. I agree that BP is not the greatest acne medication nor is it a miracle drug, but it has controlled my acne along with many others. Yes, it has side effects and may not be the most healthiest substance to apply to our skin daily, but for many it is our only way to remain clear until we figure out our personal root cause of acne.

I agree that treating acne internally would probably be a better approach to curing acne, but stuffing yourself with anti-biotics, is pretty much the same thing as using BP, or probably worst as it kills all your healthy bacteria along with the bad. It also only temporarily helps with acne. So eventually it weakens immune system and interferes with other bodily functions associated with the good bacteria that we need. I am sure our Acne is caused internally, but there are so many causes, diet, poor digestive system, allergic reactions to certain foods, hormones, etc... the list goes on and on. But I think the use of BP has been successful for many including myself and Dan has helped many, dealing or has dealt with ACNE in the past.

I for one can assure you that my acne is not caused by diet. Before college, I was clear as day, ate anything and everything, never broke out. Broke out terribly in college and eventually cleared with use of external topical treatments. Mid 20's began really taking fitness seriously, eating super healthy, natural foods, lots of water, but broke out with bad acne again. Late 20's work and business kept me away from the gym and I started eating anything again, this lasted for a few years, clear for a few years. Recently january 2012 I once again got back to eating really healthy but had one of the worst breakouts I ever experienced in my life, used Dan's regimen, and have been clear for 2 months, after about 6 months of breaking out. So causes of acne is different for everyone.

I think this site is great, it allows everyone to share information and advice for free. I am sure some info here is more valuable than what your dermatologists may tell you. I honestly think after researching and gathering info from this site we know just as much about acne as most derms do. Anyway, I think Dan's message is just sharing his successful experience with the use of BP to control and manage acne. I dont think he ever intended to convince people that BP is the cure for acne.

Dan's message is simple: this regimen is what works for him. That's it; it's really simple. He doesn't claim this regimen is the end-all be-all treatment for acne. Dan found an effective way to treat his acne and shared it with all of us. It doesn't work for everybody, but it works for a lot of people. Frankly, the notion of haphazardly recommending antibiotics as the primary treatment for acne is dangerous.

And I would definitely not be so bold as to say that we know just as much about acne as dermatologists do.

I am 27 , and I have had acne since 18...i can finally say that this regimen has kept me clear from zits. I still have red marks, but no bumps on my face. Thank you Dan!!!

I must disagree. You are correct in that acne is often cause by horomones, but the regimen CAN be an effective treatment. Testosterone tends to make the skin more oily, and the regimen helps to control much of that oil. The cleanser seems to get rid of most of the oil, the BP controls the oil production and helps eliminate current acne, and the moisturizer keeps the skin from getting too dry while not clogging pores (That is, assuming you use the right products). So basically, if you follow the steps very precisely, use the right products, and be very strict with your applications: you will most likely clear up your skin.

I must disagree. You are correct in that acne is often cause by horomones, but the regimen CAN be an effective treatment. Testosterone tends to make the skin more oily, and the regimen helps to control much of that oil. The cleanser seems to get rid of most of the oil, the BP controls the oil production and helps eliminate current acne, and the moisturizer keeps the skin from getting too dry while not clogging pores (That is, assuming you use the right products). So basically, if you follow the steps very precisely, use the right products, and be very strict with your applications: you will most likely clear up your skin.

I can't imagine my skin ever getting used to BP... As I said I tried it for 2-3 times for about 3-5 months and my skin was always burned from bp and red, acne marks did not fade, acne improved but was healing too slow

I think topical antiobiotics are not as bad as everybody seems to think here, they are 1000 times less harsh on my skin than 2.5% BP

And the only thing that stopped my breakouts was stopping dairy and starting low dose accutane. I didn't eat milk for 3 months now and last weekend I had chicken tikka masala (souce includes yoghurt) after that first time in 3 months i got 2 pimples, this can't be a coincidence

Edited by suferer

Everyone skin is different and there are a varied amount of acne types...I usually have cosmetic acne which goes away when I use a simple soap like Dead Sea Mineral Soap and take allergy tablets like Piriton.

However i do agree that taking care of the gut internally is necessary...multivitamins are good also

I can't imagine my skin ever getting used to BP... As I said I tried it for 2-3 times for about 3-5 months and my skin was always burned from bp and red, acne marks did not fade, acne improved but was healing too slow

I think topical antiobiotics are not as bad as everybody seems to think here, they are 1000 times less harsh on my skin than 2.5% BP

And the only thing that stopped my breakouts was stopping dairy and starting low dose accutane. I didn't eat milk for 3 months now and last weekend I had chicken tikka masala (souce includes yoghurt) after that first time in 3 months i got 2 pimples, this can't be a coincidence

While there is little evidence to show that greasy/junk food cause acne, there is some evidence showing that dairy products and foods high in carbs can cause acne in some people. So it seems like you might be one of those people who are sensitive to dairy such that it contributes to your acne.

Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. I'm not going to say that the acne.org regimen is the best way to treat acne, but at the moment, for me, nothing else has compared. I think Dan's message is awesome. He simply wants to help people. He's not forcing you to do anything you don't want to do. For some, the regimen isn't the best thing. For others, it is. Everyone is DIFFERENT. One thing will not work for all.