What Helps Your Ext...

Notifications
Clear all

What Helps Your Extremely Oily Skin? Sensible Answers Only.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 09/21/2012 5:46 pm

Hello.

This thread is for people, like me, who have extremely oily skin. I mean extremely oily as in 15-30 minutes after you've washed your face, you can see the oil oozing out and you notice a visible shine.

I want to know what helps your skin. Post any solutions or treatments that you've tried and which have worked to effectively control and/or reduce your oily skin SIGNIFICANTLY.

I feel really bad about my skin at times. Especially the fact I can't just go an hour without worrying whether or not my face looks like I've been in a head-on collision with a truckload of olive oil... it's really demoralizing. And without a doubt, you've probably spent hours upon hours browsing the internet for a solution or treatment for your oily skin only to find out 99% of it is just pure nonsense or advertising. Well, that's why I made this thread.

I want this thread to have sensible answers only, people in the same position sharing what works for them. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 09/21/2012 5:53 pm

Milk Thistle. My supplement also contains Dandelion and Turmeric.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 09/21/2012 6:05 pm

I mostly just manage my oily shine with pressed powder (could not live without this stuff) and blotting during the day with a clean dry napkin.

The only thing I've found to really have any big effect on my oil production was Accutane. Unfortunately, the effects do wear off.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 09/21/2012 6:05 pm

Milk Thistle. My supplement also contains Dandelion and Turmeric.

Thank you for your answer mate.

Could you explain your method please? And how much has it helped? Was your skin extremely oily like mine?

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/21/2012 9:15 pm

Hello.

This thread is for people, like me, who have extremely oily skin. I mean extremely oily as in 15-30 minutes after you've washed your face, you can see the oil oozing out and you notice a visible shine.

I want to know what helps your skin. Post any solutions or treatments that you've tried and which have worked to effectively control and/or reduce your oily skin SIGNIFICANTLY.

I feel really bad about my skin at times. Especially the fact I can't just go an hour without worrying whether or not my face looks like I've been in a head-on collision with a truckload of olive oil... it's really demoralizing. And without a doubt, you've probably spent hours upon hours browsing the internet for a solution or treatment for your oily skin only to find out 99% of it is just pure nonsense or advertising. Well, that's why I made this thread.

I want this thread to have sensible answers only, people in the same position sharing what works for them. Thank you.

Going on an anti-androgen stopped my oil production in its tracks.

Not like Accutane-overly-dry, but normal dry.

I'm on spiro which is Rx only.

Natural ones are saw palmetto, stinging nettle, pygeum, and pumpkin seed oil.

MemberMember
(@clearwaters)

Posted : 09/21/2012 10:16 pm

I understand your pain. I too am forever conscious of how oily my skin is. Forever conscious because it is forever oily. Even IMMEDIATELY after I wash it is oily/shiny. It's embarrassing because people must think I've put way too much lotion on my face or something.

Honestly, there's not much I've tried topically that helps. A few products I've tried have had a slight accidental mattifying effect just after they've dried on my skin, but it's only temporary. The best I can do is blot with tissues or sometimes I'll wash a third time in the day with just water just for oil control (but I guess the towel drying that accompanies that is like super blotting).

Surprisingly, the thing I've found to have most effect is keeping stress at bay. I mean, my skin is still oily when I'm calm but without stress it's less extreme.

Not much help I know, but thought I'd just say I can indeed relate.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 09/22/2012 6:46 pm

On 9/22/2012 at 8:15 AM, Green Gables said:
On 9/22/2012 at 4:46 AM, vincevega said:

Hello.

Going on an anti-androgen stopped my oil production in its tracks.

Not like Accutane-overly-dry, but normal dry.

I'm on spiro which is Rx only.

Natural ones are saw palmetto, stinging nettle, pygeum, and pumpkin seed oil.

Thank you. Could a male use this? What exactly is an anti-androgen? Sorry I'm not from an English speaking country.

On 9/22/2012 at 9:16 AM, Clearwaters said:

I understand your pain. I too am forever conscious of how oily my skin is. Forever conscious because it is forever oily. Even IMMEDIATELY after I wash it is oily/shiny. It's embarrassing because people must think I've put way too much lotion on my face or something.

Honestly, there's not much I've tried topically that helps. A few products I've tried have had a slight accidental mattifying effect just after they've dried on my skin, but it's only temporary. The best I can do is blot with tissues or sometimes I'll wash a third time in the day with just water just for oil control (but I guess the towel drying that accompanies that is like super blotting).

Surprisingly, the thing I've found to have most effect is keeping stress at bay. I mean, my skin is still oily when I'm calm but without stress it's less extreme.

Not much help I know, but thought I'd just say I can indeed relate.

Thanks for the reply, I feel your pain too. It's a real downer at times. I'll try keeping stress at bay but it's difficult because oily skin causes me to be stressy. And I've just got some bad news - i have tinnitus (constant ear ringing). Another thing I can worry about 24/7

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/23/2012 1:28 am

Yes, most natural anti-androgens are formulated for male prostate health. They have a nice side effect of stopping acne.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 09/23/2012 6:43 am

Yes, most natural anti-androgens are formulated for male prostate health. They have a nice side effect of stopping acne.

Thank you, I'll look into it. But I don't really have much acne luckily. Just looking to curb the oil production.

MemberMember
(@excelicious)

Posted : 09/27/2012 6:06 am

For me, washing my face in less than ten seconds. It seems that the more I wash my skin the oilier it gets. Also taking stress tabs that contains vitamin e and Vitamin bs (B6 B12 etc).

Getting enough sleep helps keep my oilies at bay as well. I especially need to sleep 8.5 to 9 hours a night or I would look like a greaseball in the morning.

The last and most important thing for me is excercise. It destressify your body and sweating can get rid of the toxins inside your skin.

Hope that helps! I wish you luck

rickyruin liked
MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 09/27/2012 12:54 pm

For me, washing my face in less than ten seconds. It seems that the more I wash my skin the oilier it gets...

Really? How would you explain THAT?? Does your car get dirtier, the more you wash it? Does your house or apartment get dirtier, the more you wash it? I personally did an experiment with Sebutape Skin Indicators which I used as the way to measure sebum on my skin; as expected, I got the results that any reasonable person would expect: the more I washed my skin, the drier it got. I think you're just fooling yourself when you think that your skin supposedly got OILY when you washed it more often.

MemberMember
(@excelicious)

Posted : 09/28/2012 1:50 pm

For me, washing my face in less than ten seconds. It seems that the more I wash my skin the oilier it gets...

Really? How would you explain THAT?? Does your car get dirtier, the more you wash it? Does your house or apartment get dirtier, the more you wash it? I personally did an experiment with Sebutape Skin Indicators which I used as the way to measure sebum on my skin; as expected, I got the results that any reasonable person would expect: the more I washed my skin, the drier it got. I think you're just fooling yourself when you think that your skin supposedly got OILY when you washed it more often.

Well it really happened to me... I think it's is because everyone is unique and responds differently. You should know that for you lived longer than me. It is Ymmv (your mileage may vary). For example some people react well to Vitamin C but some may break out from it. Please respect my opinions and my beliefs. I only meant to share the knowledge that I have gathered from experience.

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 09/28/2012 4:53 pm

On 9/29/2012 at 12:50 AM, excelicious said:

Well it really happened to me...[...] It is Ymmv (your mileage may vary). For example some people react well to Vitamin C but some may break out from it. Please respect my opinions and my beliefs. I only meant to share the knowledge that I have gathered from experience.

I can't respect your opinion, because what you said doesn't even make sense. For the love of God, if you want to see how oily your skin gets under varying conditions, do it scientifically with Sebutape Skin Indicators, don't just GUESS at how oily it gets!!

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 09/28/2012 5:11 pm

When you "wash" your face (which you really shouldn't), you're getting rid of dead skin cells. Dead skin cells provide a naturally dull matte-like surface because of their uneven texture. The ability to hold oil in the space between the dead skin cells also aids in the concealment of the sebum you produce. When you wash your face, you eliminate this dead skin cell layer, and the oil has nowhere to go except right to the surface.

I agree with Bryan. Washing your face has no bearing on the amount of sebum your body will produce, but will effect how oily your skin appears.

MemberMember
(@happykitty)

Posted : 09/28/2012 6:50 pm

This might just be noise, but I read somewhere once that if you have oily skin, what it really means is that your skin is actually very dry, causing your oil glands to produce in over produce trying to compensate. I know it feels ridiculous putting on lotion when your skin is oily, but i genuinely believe that it helped me get my skin under control.

Also, if you haven't tried the Regiman yet and you're thinking about it, be prepared for the driest skin you've ever had in your life!

MemberMember
(@excelicious)

Posted : 09/28/2012 8:01 pm

This might just be noise, but I read somewhere once that if you have oily skin, what it really means is that your skin is actually very dry, causing your oil glands to produce in over produce trying to compensate. I know it feels ridiculous putting on lotion when your skin is oily, but i genuinely believe that it helped me get my skin under control.

Also, if you haven't tried the Regiman yet and you're thinking about it, be prepared for the driest skin you've ever had in your life!

I totally agree, it really depends on the person. For example, I have oily skin and the more I moisturize and the less I wash the oilies just stay away. Also there are variables that can affect how much oil is produce like age. I am a teenager and teens are more likely to have oily skin than people that are 40+. It has something to do with the hormones in our body.

Edit: Anyways this is getting off=topic. Let's end this argument right here right now........

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 09/28/2012 11:31 pm

I can't emphasize this point strongly enough: HORMONES (androgens and estrogens) are what cause the skin to produce oil, not "lotion".

ImTheTinMan and v dub liked
MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 09/30/2012 6:53 pm

I thank you for putting in the effort to post in my thread because I know you're trying to help.. but this is exactly an example of a post I did not want to see. "I read somewhere once" does not constitute a sensible answer about your personal experiences of combating extremely oily skin. And no, I haven't tried the Regimen yet because I'm 99.9% certain it won't help my extremely oily skin at all. But please, if it helped your extremely oily skin, tell me why you think it did, what exactly you did and which effect it had on you.

When you "wash" your face (which you really shouldn't), you're getting rid of dead skin cells. Dead skin cells provide a naturally dull matte-like surface because of their uneven texture. The ability to hold oil in the space between the dead skin cells also aids in the concealment of the sebum you produce. When you wash your face, you eliminate this dead skin cell layer, and the oil has nowhere to go except right to the surface.

I agree with Bryan. Washing your face has no bearing on the amount of sebum your body will produce, but will effect how oily your skin appears.

I did not know this yet. But isn't a layer of dead skin cells going to cause blocked pores and blackheads?

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 09/30/2012 10:11 pm

I did not know this yet. But isn't a layer of dead skin cells going to cause blocked pores and blackheads?

I haven't "washed" my face in over a year. (I've just splashed water on it two times a day) It took a while for my skin to normalize, but once it did, I haven't had any trouble with blackheads or blocked pores.

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/01/2012 5:37 pm

I haven't "washed" my face in over a year. (I've just splashed water on it two times a day) It took a while for my skin to normalize, but once it did, I haven't had any trouble with blackheads or blocked pores.

I only use water too, still my face is extremely oily and full of blackheads

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/01/2012 6:37 pm

Thank you, I'll look into it. But I don't really have much acne luckily. Just looking to curb the oil production.

Well they stop acne largely because they decrease oil production...

MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/05/2012 5:24 pm

Anybody else know of a way to greatly decrease oily skin?

Also, Green Gables, I've looked up Spiro and a lot of males seem to have horrible side effects when taking it. Is it safe?

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 10/07/2012 5:56 pm

Chromium, Saw palmetto, decreased my oil production significantly enough to mention.

Ricar2012 liked
MemberMember
(@vincevega)

Posted : 10/09/2012 5:04 am

Chromium, Saw palmetto, decreased my oil production significantly enough to mention.

Could you please also tell me how you take or use these products? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/09/2012 10:09 am

Anybody else know of a way to greatly decrease oily skin?

Also, Green Gables, I've looked up Spiro and a lot of males seem to have horrible side effects when taking it. Is it safe?

Low doses are fine for males, 50mg or below. Most females take 100mg or higher. But there are natural alternatives like saw palmetto that don't have those side effects.