Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whoartthou1

Why Doesnt My Family Understand?

Why does my family and friends not understand how difficult it is to live with this skin disease known as acne? None of them understand just how difficult it is to wake up everyday and face the world, worrying every minute about how your skin looks like in certain lighting. I have attempted to discuss this with my family members (mom dad and brother) and they do not realize the emotional distress that acne has caused me. I have even attempted to show them studies on how much acne can ruin you emotionally and mentally... they still do not get it.

Anyone else strugglign through a similar experience?

A little bit yeah, but you have to understand first that they don't know what you're going through. They're not trying to be mean or belittle your problems but rather make you realize it's not as big a deal as you make it. It is just skin. Don't let it get you down. :)

i understand.. how you felt.. sometime you got to face the fear.. easy to say but hard to apply... as my self.. i have to work my but off to pay the bills.. and everyday i have to face with people.. and alot them with very bad mouths.. all i could do i smile.. but 1000s tears behind that... smile but sometime just got to suck it up ... you cant stop people judging you ...or talk about.. u.. as my self i'm in my own world.. no one really understand.. or known if u check out my post i just update my picture today and maybe u know how its feel but keep your head up bro

What exactly is happening that is bringing this up between you guys? Is it that you've stopped going places, they ask why, and you say because you're depressed about your acne and they tell you to get over it...or what?

Yeah it can be hard for people who haven't had acne to relate to what it's like. It goes so much further than just being a physical thing and can really hurt us emotionally too. I think it's one of those things that they aren't going to fully understand, so while they can offer support and maybe empathize with you, you shouldn't expect them to ever fully understand unless they've had the same experience. And even if they have had acne, everyone's experience with it will be different.

A few days ago I was feeling upset about my skin and was trying to talk about it with my mum. I was going to say that she has no idea what it's like to wake up everyday unhappy about how you look, but I realised that she probably does know what that's like unfortunately. Not because of acne but because of her own battles with weight. So in that respect, our experiences relate and maybe she would understand - but their also very different at the same time.

What I'm getting at here is that I think it's also important to understand that nearly everyone has their own worries or 'battles' that they deal with everyday. And they may be things that we can't fully understand either.

i know what you mean... i have had problems talking to members of my family about acne, too. mainly my twin brother, who can be a huge asshole. there have been several arguments we've had because he thinks he knows everything and for some reason belittles me for my skin. he's a whole other story, though, he lives in his own world.

i've talked to my mom several times about my acne and a couple of those times she wasn't really listening to me and of course gives me the line "i don't think it looks that bad" to which i say, why would i care if you don't think so?? but anyway, i don't think you can really talk to family about this unless they have dealt with the same thing. to summarize my thoughts on acne i constantly think of the Alice in Chains lyric "my gift of self is raped, my privacy is raped..."

Green Gables

If you really see picture of my acne on the thread i created .. you would know why .. people see me like a deadly toxic poison if they come by i might infect them and kill them :( when people see me . they staring at my acne not just that they give me nasty talk , so what about opinion right? easy to say .. i even got fired from a job few months ago due to my acne . like how my picture that i update on 9-20 . everywhere i go people avoid so what's the point even going out.. all i do i going work and going home paying my bills . yes everyone have to pay bills but everyone have there own situation.. and i understand people will bad mouth about me and laught at me and see me different just because how they look and i'm different than others cause how my acne got worse and worse everyday .. you may and may not know or understand.. it's hopeless.. but i still got to face the fact that i have acne problem .. but i am still a human being.. why they all look me different they see me as like a monster.. all they do is avoid stay away from me... even when i try talk to ppl.. no more than 2 mins.... they just wanna get away from me.. so how would you feel..?

What exactly is happening that is bringing this up between you guys? Is it that you've stopped going places, they ask why, and you say because you're depressed about your acne and they tell you to get over it...or what?

Yes. I have seen counselors because my mom was concerned that i was always so, as she put it, "quiet and sad."

I told them that i am depressed because my acne is holding me back. All of my ambitions are shot down because of this disease. I never take off my shirt EVER. I rarely look people in the eyes when im at college.

Basically, they don't realize how debilitating acne is (even though my mom had acne herself during her young years).

Green Gables

If you really see picture of my acne on the thread i created .. you would know why .. people see me like a deadly toxic poison if they come by i might infect them and kill them sad.png when people see me . they staring at my acne not just that they give me nasty talk , so what about opinion right? easy to say .. i even got fired from a job few months ago due to my acne . like how my picture that i update on 9-20 . everywhere i go people avoid so what's the point even going out.. all i do i going work and going home paying my bills . yes everyone have to pay bills but everyone have there own situation.. and i understand people will bad mouth about me and laught at me and see me different just because how they look and i'm different than others cause how my acne got worse and worse everyday .. you may and may not know or understand.. it's hopeless.. but i still got to face the fact that i have acne problem .. but i am still a human being.. why they all look me different they see me as like a monster.. all they do is avoid stay away from me... even when i try talk to ppl.. no more than 2 mins.... they just wanna get away from me.. so how would you feel..?

completely agree. Its the media brain washing us that everyone is supposed to have clear skin.

Both of my parents had severe acne. My father said he didn't care about it, but I have a feeling my mother didn't take her skin so well. She has bad scarring now, but she doesn't open up to me about it. My brother is going through the same feelings as me that come from having acne - except my acne is FAR worse than my older brother.

It is depressing. As human beings, whether we intend to or not, we will always judge others based on appearance. Especially teenagers my age are vicious towards me. That's why I prefer to be around younger kids or adults who have had life experience. Having acne has helped me be less judgemental though and more considerate of others and what they may be going through in their life.

Everybody is living in their own little world concerned with their own problems and when they see you with acne people could give 2 shits how you feel to them we are ugly disgusting freaks. U can become a ticking time bomb ready to explode but until you explode your family won't understand. It took an explosion for my family to know how I really felt and they finally understood.

Everybody is living in their own little world concerned with their own problems and when they see you with acne people could give 2 shits how you feel to them we are ugly disgusting freaks. U can become a ticking time bomb ready to explode but until you explode your family won't understand. It took an explosion for my family to know how I really felt and they finally understood.

what did you do?

the thing is my family knows how feel... they just don't seem to give a shit. I mean they obviously told me to see counselors and whatnot, but i have an acne problem, not a mental problem.

what did you do?

the thing is my family knows how feel... they just don't seem to give a shit. I mean they obviously told me to see counselors and whatnot, but i have an acne problem, not a mental problem.

Your mental problem is caused by your acne. It happens to the majority of us on here. When my skin was clear, I had 0 anxiety or depression. Skin issues cause mental disorders, no question. Seeing a therapist is a very mportant and wise choice. It helps me tremendously.

what did you do?

Your mental problem is caused by your acne. It happens to the majority of us on here. When my skin was clear, I had 0 anxiety or depression. Skin issues cause mental disorders, no question. Seeing a therapist is a very mportant and wise choice. It helps me tremendously.

Agreed. But i believe it also depends on the severity of the skin issue. If you have a 4-5 pimples no big deal... but if whole areas are covered in them....

My family is also brain washed to believe that acne is a "young teenager, young adult afflcition" that "will pass." They know nothing about acne. Nothing.

fuck that dude. my parents still don't understand. they think i'm a selfish bastard because i have to spend so much effort to take care of my skin and not enough time for them. god i swear when i become financially independent i'm going to let them have it

what did you do?

Agreed. But i believe it also depends on the severity of the skin issue. If you have a 4-5 pimples no big deal... but if whole areas are covered in them....

My family is also brain washed to believe that acne is a "young teenager, young adult afflcition" that "will pass." They know nothing about acne. Nothing.

If I have 4-5 pimples, it's the end of the world for me and I hide in my room for days. I can't cope with even 1 pimple. I have w serious mental disorder when it comes to the tiniest blemishes on my face. I know I'm not the only one on here with that issue.

what did you do?

If I have 4-5 pimples, it's the end of the world for me and I hide in my room for days. I can't cope with even 1 pimple. I have w serious mental disorder when it comes to the tiniest blemishes on my face. I know I'm not the only one on here with that issue.

if you have only ever had mild acne, it will be the worst thing in the world to you. once you get severe acne, you'll realize that you've been fucked beyond comprehension and only then will you start to appreciate just 4 pimples on your face at a time. i don't really know how else to say this, but you should be grateful.

what did you do?

THIS is the real mental issue. 4-5 pimples is nothing man, nothing. Go live your life