Notifications
Clear all

Topical Ziana (Tretinoin+Clindamycin) And Oral Solodyn (Minocycline) And Sumadan Wash Logs

MemberMember
(@jakebakedacake)

Posted : 09/20/2012 7:25 pm

I have just seen my dermatologist, and she has given me topical Ziana, oral Solodyn, and Sumadan wash (to use in the shower).

I have tried Clearasil, Duac, Differin, and Epiduo in the past, none of which have demonstrated much efficacy. Hopefully an oral antibiotic will help, plus a stronger topical treatment and the Sumadan to back it up. Please feel free to post anything you want on this (Suggestions, concernes, personal stories, or even the weather in LA!) Anything you want. Also, if anyone know's of a good vitamin to take that may help acne, that would also be appreciated. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/21/2012 1:30 pm

Please make sure you are taking a good probiotic while on antibiotics. Antibiotics kill harmful bacteria, which can help acne, but they also kill all your gut flora, which is a CRITICAL part of your immune system. If you don't keep your probiotics going, once you go off the antibiotic (which you have to eventually, they're only intended for short-term use), your acne will come back.

I recommend Ultra Flora's Critical Care 50 Billion probiotic.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 09/21/2012 11:05 pm

agreed. oral thrush sucks and is the most common side effect with oral antibotics. Of course there are worse side effects so i advise from personal experience to:

1) drink plenty of water throughout the day

2) take probiotics

3) take the antibotic around the same time of day and dont miss a dose

antibotics depending on which can really drain the water from your system so stay hydrated, they can also make you constipated and to the point it hurts to go to the bathroom

do not take probiotics and the antibotics at the same time of day. take the probiotics maybe at noon or night (depending on your antibotic dosage times, twice a day, once a day ect).

try to stay consistent as possible, as it helps especially when starting out.

MemberMember
(@jakebakedacake)

Posted : 09/23/2012 8:45 pm

Yes, I take the Solodyn at approximately 8:00pm, which is about the same time I apply the Ziana. Then in the morning (in between 5:00am and 6:00am, I take a couple of my multivitamins, which have probiotics in them. I have always taken the multivitamins, so thats nothing new. Do you guys think that it is ok for me to wash my face with Clean&Clear salicylic acid soap while im in the shower, right before I wash with the Sumadan? Thats what I have been doing, because it seems to make my skin very smooth. I just don't want to be doing more harm than good. Also I have been using Cetaphil Dermacontrol moisturizer, which I would highly recommend to anyone, even if you barely have any acne. It moisturizes your face perfectly without leaving it shiny, and it absorbs any oil on your face pretty much all day (it says 24 hours, more like 20 or so), AND it has an SPF 30 sunscreen in it, which is great for me because my acne meds are photosensitizing.

MemberMember
(@jakebakedacake)

Posted : 10/01/2012 5:07 am

Face looking pretty good so far- Maybe this is working!

MemberMember
(@jakebakedacake)

Posted : 10/07/2012 10:59 pm

Not that this matters, but I was switched from 100mg Solodyn(1X per day) to 50mg generic minocycline (2X per day). This was due to the fact that my insurance refused to cover the Solodyn, which was 950$ for a months supply, due to the fact that a 2X per day generic equivelent was 1/100th the cost of the Solodyn. Thats American healthcare I guess lol. But yeah. Overall, I guess my face is starting to look a little better, but I guess its still too early to tell.

MemberMember
(@wavy)

Posted : 10/16/2012 7:24 pm

my dermatologist put me on a similar regimen in july until now.. i was Solodyn (80mg), Ziana, and Phisohex wash. Honestly in my 3 months my acne didn't improve one bit so I'm starting tazorac today. i hope it works for you.

MemberMember
(@bizz)

Posted : 12/05/2012 12:47 am

Murad makes a multivitamin for acne but you could just take a Centrum with zinc and vitamin c in it.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/08/2013 11:11 am

What happened to this thread? any updates on your regimen? i hope your skin's doing great right now.

I saw your other thread about differin, my derm prescribed me the 0.1% gel four years ago when i started college. i had mild-moderate acne on the left side of my face back then. she told me to come back after two weeks so i did and i thought it wasn't working. She also prescrbied me with Acne Plus? its a cream in a green tube i don't know if u guys are familiar with it but i only used it once cause it stings really bad, after that one time i never used it again. She gave me a 2% clindamycin solution to cleanse my face after washing it with SEBAMED and before putting on Differin. After a month or two, my skin got a lot better. I kept on using for about 4-5 months until my derm told me i can stop cause she said my skin looked great already (I only used it on my left cheek, chin and forehead cause didn't have acne on my right cheek). I only used differin then as a spot treatment whenever i got a pimple i apply it to dry it out and to reduce the scar. it never irritated my skin and i don't remember it worsening my condition on the first week or so. I still used Sebamed as my daily facial cleanser. It's a cleansing bar without soap or other irritating chemicals in it. it worked really great but may dry out your face a little at first. i was really happy with my condition back then i thought i finally got rid of my acne. 2 and a half years later my acne came back but not as bad as before, it happened during christmas break i don't what happened but i had a break out on my left cheek, but not in my forehead and chin, they were probably because of pollution because i started riding my motorbike to school back then. i went back to my derm and she prescribed me an Acne Lotion that contains 5% Benzoyl Peroxide and erythromycin. she said i should apply it in the morning then the differin at night but only the small part of my cheek that has pimples on it. i also switched to a different facial wash. The company that sells Sebamed decided to put the cleansing bar on the market since it was only available through dermatologists at first and was kind of expensive. iMy derm made me switch to a Hyaluronic Foaming Facial wash, it has no paraben, no sulfur, so soap in it so its pretty mild. it didn't break me out . I didn't like putting anything on my face in the morning so i decided to put the BP at night (my derm said its okay). it worked great. i stopped that regimen after a few weeks cause my face got better again and the BP lotion works GREAT as spot treatment. whenever i had a zit coming on my chin or any part of my face i applied the lotion on it few times a day and it wouldn't turn into an actual pimple, but its really pricey. but recently i started getting whiteheads and zits on my front cheeks. those were the parts that i didn't have any problem before. i tried to put differin again on them but it turned them red and itchy, and would go away if i stop applying. i also developed Seb Dermatitis on my left cheek another story i know, but my derm told me stop using differing for the meantime. so right now im stuck with just the facial wash which i think is too mild it doesn't do anything lol

Sorry for the long post and the typos im on my tablet lol

Hoping hear from your regimen and this thread! rolleyes.gif

Hoping to get updates