Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iris9

Formation Of Cysts On Spiro

Hi. For those of you taking aldactone/spironolactone for cystic acne, has anyone had the experience of getting what seems to be the early stages of a cyst, which then resolves itself?

Twice during my time on spiro (3 months), I've felt the all-too-familiar feeling of pressure in my chin, with a little bit of redness on the surface and the first signs of a lump forming when I touch it with my finger (but the softer kind of a lump; not the hard, very inflamed, full-blown cyst kind). Both times I've totally panicked, but then miraculously, within a day or two the mini-cyst shrinks itself back down without ever progressing. This is atypical for me--before spiro, once I noticed the start of a cyst, there was no stopping it until it ran its complete awful course (sometimes taking a month to go down) unless I got a cortisone injection.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My guesses are that (1) this is my body still adjusting to the medicine (WHY does it so desperately want to make cysts?!) or (2) I'm on too low of a dose or (3) some combination of the two. I started at 50 but lowered to 25 after a month because my hair was shedding.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Hair will shed a bit when you start a hormonal regimen because any hormonal shift causes your body to go into tellogen effluvium. This is a normal phase that you go through periodically (your hair goes through a cyclical shedding cycle), but hormonal changes jumpstart it. Kind of like your period starting early when you start birth control. This is normal. If you are otherwise healthy, the short hair shedding phase won't make a noticeable dent in your hair. They actually prescribe spironolactone to women who are suffering from alopecia (loss of hair on the head).

After a few months on spiro, I didn't feel like I was getting less cysts overall, but I did notice that the cysts I got receded faster.

It's really hard to say what is the right dose for you. It is something you will have to feel out for yourself. After 6 months on 100mg spiro I was 100% clear. Since I am a pretty small person, I wanted to see if I could go down to 50mg and maintain those results. I did 50mg for a month and at the end had some new cysts on my chin. Ramped back up to 100mg and now am completely clear again.

Edited by Green Gables