Acne Clears Up Duri...

Notifications
Clear all

Acne Clears Up During Period...what Is Going On Here?!

MemberMember
(@hopskipjump)

Posted : 09/20/2012 3:30 pm

I've just turned 33, had annoying constant mild acne since teens. What I've noticed, (but I can't be sure this has always been this way), is my acne completely clears up the day I start my period. Literally, the spots on my face will dramatically reduce and disappear very quickly. My skin will also become much softer, and I suppose 'normal' - this is, I think, how my skin should be if I was healthy:( This will last about a week or two after the end of my period, then sadly back to constant acne.

I've not changed my diet in any dramatic way, I've not changed any products I use. I certainly haven't been doing anything different lifestyle wise.

Now, I know its very common for women to breakout during their period, not the other way round, so what on earth is going on with me?!

I knew I was a contrary girl, but this is just weird!

Has anyone else had this, does anyone have any ideas about what is going on?

Any help appreciated!

Hop;)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/20/2012 5:41 pm

I wouldn't say it's common for women to breakout DURING their menses, but the week before. This is because your androgen level is highest during ovulation. This higher androgen level can cause acne. But acne takes a week or so to form, so a little after ovulation you get acne.

I noticed a little clearing on my period as well. It was probably worst 1.5-2 weeks after my period.

The only thing that clears up hormonal acne is hormonal treatment. You're 33, obviously you've passed the point where you're supposed to "grow out" of this kind of thing, so your body for some reason can't balance its hormones itself.

I personally recommend anti-androgen drugs or natural supplements. You can see my story in the link in my signature.

Many women also clear on the "right" birth control, but I prefer the anti-androgen route because anti-androgens are milder, less complex (with birth control you're messing with multiple hormones), and less expensive. I use an IUD for birth control so I don't need BC pills anyway.

MemberMember
(@hopskipjump)

Posted : 09/21/2012 10:22 am

I wouldn't say it's common for women to breakout DURING their menses, but the week before. This is because your androgen level is highest during ovulation. This higher androgen level can cause acne. But acne takes a week or so to form, so a little after ovulation you get acne.

I noticed a little clearing on my period as well. It was probably worst 1.5-2 weeks after my period.

The only thing that clears up hormonal acne is hormonal treatment. You're 33, obviously you've passed the point where you're supposed to "grow out" of this kind of thing, so your body for some reason can't balance its hormones itself.

I personally recommend anti-androgen drugs or natural supplements. You can see my story in the link in my signature.

Many women also clear on the "right" birth control, but I prefer the anti-androgen route because anti-androgens are milder, less complex (with birth control you're messing with multiple hormones), and less expensive. I use an IUD for birth control so I don't need BC pills anyway.

Thanks very much for the info GG;) I know hormonal acne is a pretty complex thing and everyone is different. I've also noticed I do breakout slightly more before my period, but is not as noticable because I've already got a load of spots anyway.

I probably have a combination of things going on, plus some hereditary crap thrown in. Generally I have pretty terrible skin anyway, all over, I won't go into itcry.gif .

Most of the time I'm never without a couple of spots (4+), I have alot of blemishes/scars from old spots that never seem to heel (litereally years), and sometimes these reappear as if they were just laying in dormant waiting for the right time to breakout. Its strange that the increase in androgens during my period causes the spots to disappear so dramatically...??! Maybe the initial build up or increase just before the period causes the slight breakout, but then something else happens when ovulation starts and the androgens plateau?

I'll def look into the anti-androgen thing, but more towards the natural supplements I think. Thanks again GGwink.png

MemberMember
(@samorales)

Posted : 12/31/2012 6:11 am

women's bodies use hormones to regulate reproductive cycles for the purpose of procreating, this we all know. but the hormonal cycles play a big role on how we appear to the opposite sex. when we get our periods, it is during a time that our bodies are preparing to meet a mate. our cheeks get rosier, our voices get higher, and yes, our skin will look better. ALL acne is hormonal, in some way. however, that particular pattern is totally natural. now we just have to figure out how to get our hormones in check so they don't make us over produce oil....i'm still figuring that part out for myself tongue.png

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 12/31/2012 11:35 am

I have the same exact situation. My skin was clear for a few days before and a few days after my last period but now I'm breaking out like crazy, examining my diet trying to think what I've consumed differently in the past few days- and the truth is: nothing is different. I guess I just have to admit my acne is primarily hormonal because this happens every month and I deal with it by restricting foods in my diet. Nevertheless though, everything is connected and I'm glad I'm eating very healthfully because eventually it will balance my hormones naturally.