Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rip8

Perioral Acne, Can Anyone Help?

Hello everyone. I am 26 year old male and I've had acne for almost 13 years. My acne consists of mainly small whiteheads, but also large cystic pimples. Everytime I start a new program it will work great for about 2 months. But then it will slowly get worse again. My acne is only around my mouth, all others are few and far between.

Does anyone have any advice? I currently am on 100mg of minocycline a day and wash my face with a clinique acne system morning and night. I also workout about once a day.

I do not restrict my diet right now, but I'm willing to try anything. Acne is particularly bad right below the corners of my mouth. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Brian

Have you tried maybe switching your toothpaste? Possibly something fluoride and sulfate free. Those two ingredients I've heard can cause irritation in some people. Just a thought :)

Do switch your toothpaste. A good fluoride and sulfate free brand is Squigle. That may help with the smaller whiteheads. However, the cystic stuff sounds hormonal. For some reason hormonal acne tends to congregate around that area.

Basically what most hormonal acne comes down to is too many androgens.

Natural anti-androgens for men include saw palmetto, stinging nettle, pygeum and pumpkin seed oil. These are used both for hormonal acne and for prostate health later in life wink.png It calms those excess androgens down and clears up your hormonal acne.

I would recommend LifeExtension Super Saw Palmetto. It is standardized to 85%+ fatty acids which is what you want in a quality saw palmetto supplement.

Week 1: 300 mg a day

Weeks 2-4: 600mg a day

Week 5: Evaluate. Are you seeing significant clearing? If yes, stay on this dose. If no, ramp your dose up to 1000mg a day.

Side effects: While your body is getting used to the saw palmetto you may feel dehydrated and urinate a lot. Drink a lot of water. This wears off after a couple of weeks.

It's called PERI-ORAL DERMATITIS.

Flouride, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, (SLS) as well as Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (ALS) are the MAIN contributors.

Try changing your toothpaste like the other posts said. I always used colgate and then one time I strated using cinnamon crest and WHAM Peri-Oral Dermatitis. I had to do a course of antibiotics and switched back to colgate and I was fine. My fiance uses crest and if I run out and have to use his I start getting bumps around my mouth. WEIRD! Something in Crest.

BUT.... a friend of mine is much more sensitive than me. She can't use colgate either cuz of the flouride. She has to use Tom's flouride free and I think SLS free too. Not sure. She said even if she uses flouride one time she'll break out around her mouth. Super sensitive.

So definitely you need to experiment with the natural toothpastes. And you will need the antibiotic to clear it up. Try giving up flouride first. Then SLS. SLS is in everything so some people who are allergic can't use soaps or shampoos with SLS cuz it runs over your face.

Hope that helps! :) It's not something you have to suffer with. Easily fixed once you find out what your sensitive too.

Edited by crab76