Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chelslaw

Adult Acne: Food Elimination Questions

Hi there

So I had acne as a teen, then too the pill (ortho trycyclen) and it went away. I still am on that same pill and its a good one for me (for many reasons i wont go into detail about here)

I'm 28 now and my acne came back in the last 2 years, this time its all chin and upper lip (hormonal) and some cysts (or papules- not sure exactly, just hard red bumps that itch and take a while to go away, dont come to a head)

I've been to a skin clinic and tried medical grade Biophora products, still have acne, I've been gluten free since Feb, still have acne. Maybe its better than it would be, but not sure. I'm about to start using Differin and change back to Origins skincare (the Biophora is just unaffordable)

I eat well, I exercise 3 times a week, i dont smoke, i exclusively drink water, I take all the right vitamins (omega 3, d, b12/6/9, calcium/mag, zinc, probiotic) and still have acne.

I am working to reduce my processed sugar intake and also doing some food elimination trials to see if maybe something triggers it. I am wondering how long do I need to remove something before I know if its that or not- so I can move onto the next.

Since I already dont consume gluten, I'm doing rice removal first (i consume alot of rice products since they are gluten free) after that I'll try dairy, then citrus, then I'm not sure whats after that- hope something shows up in the first trials.

I'm thinking 2 weeks?

Look into the specific carbohydrate diet. It's basically a bit further into what you're already trying to do. It's a diet designed to heal leaky gut and slowly reverse digestive problems and food allergies. I made the mistake in the beginning of being gluten free of eating a lot of rice products also, but rice feeds candida and keeps the gut in an unhealthy state that leads to acne. You likely have messed up gut flora as well (pretty much everyone does, let alone people who have food sensitivities and acne) so that will be something you need to look into working on (check out the major gut healing/gut flora thread).

If you're eating dairy, I highly recommend getting rid of that too. I gave up dairy about a year after giving up gluten. It's hard on the gut. If you can't give it up all the way, try just eliminating it for a while to see if you have an allergy, and then adding back "gut safe": dairy products. The specific carbohydrate diet book says that certain cheeses are okay in moderation, as well as yogurt, provided that you don't have a severe dairy allergy (I unfortunately, do)

A citrus allergy isn't likely, or at least, I wouldn't worry about that until you get on the gut-healing diet and stick to it for awhile. There have been a couple people here who've had specific allergies to citrus, but those people also didn't seem like their acne was caused by leaky gut. So it depends on the individual case. It's far more likely that eating a ton of rice and the dairy are causing you problems.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/listing/

^There's the specific carb diet website and the list of legal/illegal foods for gut healing. Good luck! :)

Look into the specific carbohydrate diet. It's basically a bit further into what you're already trying to do. It's a diet designed to heal leaky gut and slowly reverse digestive problems and food allergies. I made the mistake in the beginning of being gluten free of eating a lot of rice products also, but rice feeds candida and keeps the gut in an unhealthy state that leads to acne. You likely have messed up gut flora as well (pretty much everyone does, let alone people who have food sensitivities and acne) so that will be something you need to look into working on (check out the major gut healing/gut flora thread).

If you're eating dairy, I highly recommend getting rid of that too. I gave up dairy about a year after giving up gluten. It's hard on the gut. If you can't give it up all the way, try just eliminating it for a while to see if you have an allergy, and then adding back "gut safe": dairy products. The specific carbohydrate diet book says that certain cheeses are okay in moderation, as well as yogurt, provided that you don't have a severe dairy allergy (I unfortunately, do)

A citrus allergy isn't likely, or at least, I wouldn't worry about that until you get on the gut-healing diet and stick to it for awhile. There have been a couple people here who've had specific allergies to citrus, but those people also didn't seem like their acne was caused by leaky gut. So it depends on the individual case. It's far more likely that eating a ton of rice and the dairy are causing you problems.

http://www.breakingt.../legal/listing/

^There's the specific carb diet website and the list of legal/illegal foods for gut healing. Good luck! smile.png

This is my last health problem to resolve. I, like you, turned to Rice when going GF and developed yeast rashes on my arms, shoulders, legs, & now neck. I got tired of Rice & stopped eating it for 5 months but the Rashes continued. A little research revealed Chronic Yeast Infections are a result of a servere weakened immune system (like those w/ Aids, Cancer treatment, ect...). I must have other hidden food allergy/allergies yet to be discovered. I have already found 4 besides Gluten, this is suck.

best of luck to you finding those allergies.

i think whats hard for me is that i dont see any other symptoms except these hormonal breakouts on my chin (closed comedones and cysts)

removing gluten for me has helped the TMJ in my jaw immensely, completely cured my Keritosis Pilaris, and also impacted my period in a very positive way- so I know thats doing something good, but I still get these wicked breakouts.

i have removed rice for 7 straight days and I dont know if its making a difference, but i think im going to just only eat rice products 1-2 times a week (instead of daily) and im going to start a 2 week elimination of ALL dairy products starting Monday. We'll see how that goes. I think dairy is a much higher acne offender so ill start with that.

I dont know how long to try an elimination before you see the effects. should i be removing dairy for a month before i see results? 2 weeks? 2 months?