Been On Regimen For...

Notifications
Clear all

Been On Regimen For 1 Month, Skin Is Not Dry At All

MemberMember
(@tingmothy)

Posted : 09/19/2012 12:14 pm

Hey guys I have a few questions. I would really appreciate if you guys comment and help me out. Thanks.

I've been on the Regimen for a little bit over a month, and while my facial acne has improved, I am not experiencing any dry skin whatsover. Instead, my skin is oily still. I am wondering if this is normal. I have always had extremely oily skin, and rarely had problems with dry skin. The benzol peroxide did not dry out my skin at all. I have been using the Regimen twice a day, including the moisterizer, so is this the reason? Maybe I should put more benzol peroxide on my face?

Do you think I need to put on more benzol peroxide so my skin will be dry? I am currently using about 1.5 pumps of Dan's benzol peroxide. I believe that because I am not getting dry skin, the benzol peroxide is not working as effectively as it can. Is this the wrong mindset and belief to have? So should I put on more benzol peroxide?

I have been reading reviews about Dan's AHA+, and I think I might try it after my first Regimen package runs out in a month. I do have some red marks and mild scarring still. I am breaking out a little bit less than before since I started the Regimen. My main concern is that my skin's tone seems to be the same (same oilyness, but less pimples). I don't have dry skin at all, and never did in my life. So should I put on benzol peroxide until my skin dries out?

Thanks for reading. I really appreciate the help guys. Any comment will help me Thanks.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/19/2012 1:14 pm

Just to make sure, are you waiting about 15 minutes between applying BP and moisturizing? That time should see your skin start to dry just a bit. It's hard to judge the "natural dryness" of your skin after you've put a moisturizer on.

Normally, I hear that people's skin dries out quite badly on their first month of the regimen. There are quite a few posts in this forum expounding on the intensity of such dryness. I might label those as extreme cases. Heavy dryness was not my experience. No peeling, no flaking. Just a little bit of redness. I was fortunate enough so that my skin adjusted to the BP quite well. So it's not inconceivable for someone's skin to not dry out very much on the BP.

The Regimen suggests that people start with a very small amount of BP, and slowly increase the dose. This is to allow your skin time to become accustomed to the BP, and to limit the severity of the dryness. Upon seeing that my skin was reacting quite well to the BP, I decided to increase my dose early. I did not see any negative results from this. In fact, I was pretty much clear after my first month.

At the same time, there is something to be said for just following the stock regimen, word for word. You could wait it out for your first two months, then make adjustments from there. If your skin is improving as you say, it should keep improving if you follow the instructions.

Hope that helps!

MemberMember
(@tingmothy)

Posted : 09/19/2012 1:33 pm

Just to make sure, are you waiting about 15 minutes between applying BP and moisturizing? That time should see your skin start to dry just a bit. It's hard to judge the "natural dryness" of your skin after you've put a moisturizer on.

Normally, I hear that people's skin dries out quite badly on their first month of the regimen. There are quite a few posts in this forum expounding on the intensity of such dryness. I might label those as extreme cases. Heavy dryness was not my experience. No peeling, no flaking. Just a little bit of redness. I was fortunate enough so that my skin adjusted to the BP quite well. So it's not inconceivable for someone's skin to not dry out very much on the BP.

The Regimen suggests that people start with a very small amount of BP, and slowly increase the dose. This is to allow your skin time to become accustomed to the BP, and to limit the severity of the dryness. Upon seeing that my skin was reacting quite well to the BP, I decided to increase my dose early. I did not see any negative results from this. In fact, I was pretty much clear after my first month.

At the same time, there is something to be said for just following the stock regimen, word for word. You could wait it out for your first two months, then make adjustments from there. If your skin is improving as you say, it should keep improving if you follow the instructions.

Hope that helps!

thanks a lot for your answer. I guess I will try to wait longer after applying my BP. I estimate that I wait around 5 minutes before I apply the moisturizer. Also, based on your answer, it seems like having skin that is NOT dry is more of a blessing than a curse. Is this true? Should I use as much BP as possible until my skin starts to dry? I feel like the more BP I use, the better my skin will be, so what if I used like 3 pumps if my skin doesn't dry or flake?

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 09/19/2012 1:36 pm

The goal of the regimen is not to cause extreme dryness. Dryness, redness, and flaking is a negative side effect of the regimen. Just because you're not experiencing dryness like most people describe does not mean that the regimen is not working for you. I found Dan's moisturizer to be too moisturizing for me and left my skin looking oily, so I switched to a different moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@tingmothy)

Posted : 09/19/2012 2:22 pm

The goal of the regimen is not to cause extreme dryness. Dryness, redness, and flaking is a negative side effect of the regimen. Just because you're not experiencing dryness like most people describe does not mean that the regimen is not working for you. I found Dan's moisturizer to be too moisturizing for me and left my skin looking oily, so I switched to a different moisturizer.

ah ic. which moisturizer did u end up switching to? Dan's moisturizer makes my skin look oily too.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 09/19/2012 4:03 pm

I use Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion if I don't use my tinted moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@jonnyjonny)

Posted : 10/05/2012 7:31 am

I'm glad I found this thread! I just started the Regimen 5 days ago and I am also experiencing the "no dryness" issue. Since I'm starting out, I only use a dime-sized amount of BP at night. In addition, I plan on doing it day & night on the 2nd week. I am very grateful that I am not experiencing the extreme dryness that everyone seems to be getting. Well at least not yet anyway. Prior to treatment, my face has always been pretty oily. I only use 1 pump of the DK moisturizer, but I feel like I can use less because it makes me feel EXTRA greasy. And yes, I am waiting 10-15 minutes after cleansing & treatment to dry completely. My face does dry completely after each step of the regimen too. Throughout the night my face will become oily.

HOWEVER... my concern is that instead of over drying, my face is starting to get wetter. Not more oily but wet. I haven't come across anyone with this problem yet. I feel as if my cheeks are excreting a little bit of pus while on the treatment. The thing is I can't see any open wounds on my face, but it feels like it is oozing at times. Funny/Scary thing is I'm not sure if this is an allergic reaction or not. My face is not swollen. I'm not extremely itchy. I don't see any blisters or boils. What could it be?

I get the normal symptoms of using BP like everyone else. The redness. The slight burning sensation. Itchiness. BUT NO DRYING/FLAKING. I am pretty sure my face is excreting pus. Other parts of my face (nose, chin, forehead) are oily. But my cheeks seems to be more wet from pus. I know that sounds gross. And it is gross. I would rather have the extreme dryness instead of oozing pus.

Has anyone experience this before? Is it normal? Am I an idiot for complaining? HELP!!!

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/05/2012 8:15 am

I'm glad I found this thread! I just started the Regimen 5 days ago and I am also experiencing the "no dryness" issue. Since I'm starting out, I only use a dime-sized amount of BP at night. In addition, I plan on doing it day & night on the 2nd week. I am very grateful that I am not experiencing the extreme dryness that everyone seems to be getting. Well at least not yet anyway. Prior to treatment, my face has always been pretty oily. I only use 1 pump of the DK moisturizer, but I feel like I can use less because it makes me feel EXTRA greasy. And yes, I am waiting 10-15 minutes after cleansing & treatment to dry completely. My face does dry completely after each step of the regimen too. Throughout the night my face will become oily.

HOWEVER... my concern is that instead of over drying, my face is starting to get wetter. Not more oily but wet. I haven't come across anyone with this problem yet. I feel as if my cheeks are excreting a little bit of pus while on the treatment. The thing is I can't see any open wounds on my face, but it feels like it is oozing at times. Funny/Scary thing is I'm not sure if this is an allergic reaction or not. My face is not swollen. I'm not extremely itchy. I don't see any blisters or boils. What could it be?

I get the normal symptoms of using BP like everyone else. The redness. The slight burning sensation. Itchiness. BUT NO DRYING/FLAKING. I am pretty sure my face is excreting pus. Other parts of my face (nose, chin, forehead) are oily. But my cheeks seems to be more wet from pus. I know that sounds gross. And it is gross. I would rather have the extreme dryness instead of oozing pus.

Has anyone experience this before? Is it normal? Am I an idiot for complaining? HELP!!!

If you are oozing pus, you should discontinue the products. Oozing is one of the signs of allergy. See the blue box on this page. http://www.acne.org/faq.html#burn

MemberMember
(@jonnyjonny)

Posted : 10/05/2012 8:54 am

Wow. How unfortunate that I belonged to the 1-to-3% of people who are allergic to BP... I thought I wasn't at first because I didn't have any blisters or rash. I am slightly itchy and red but I was hoping that it was just part of the normal symptoms. I am not crusting though. Maybe the pus couldn't harden because my face was always moist? This really bums me out... Thanks for your quick reply Brandy. I would have stuck to the regimen religiously without knowing that I was actually doing harm to my skin.

This really sucks.