Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
girl3900

TCA Cross

I've been preparing to do a 50% cross on a few scars. I was hoping someone could answer a few of my questions.

-If such a high percentage of tca will burn a hole in unscarred skin, how exactly does it help acne scars fill in? Wouldn't it make them deeper?

-Are the results from 50%-100% permanent and if so, why aren't the results from 12 or 25%'s permanent?

-I just finished doing a 12% so how long should I wait before I do the cross?

-Is it possible to thin your face out too much by doing too many peels?

-Also, is it safe to apply it to shallow rolling scars? I apologize if there's already answers to these questions on the board but I couldn't find them. Thanks.

I can only answer a couple of these.

-If such a high percentage of tca will burn a hole in unscarred skin, how exactly does it help acne scars fill in? Wouldn't it make them deeper?

Essentially, it works by damaging the dermis. That triggers a wound response which will build new collagen, and/or replace scar tissue. (Hopefully!)

-Are the results from 50%-100% permanent? Probably - only long-term studies would prove this, it's too new and there are no studies yet

and if so, why aren't the results from 12 or 25%'s permanent? milder peels don't usually damage the lower dermis, therefore the pits are still underneath there, and a pitted dermis can only create a pitted epidermis.