Notifications
Clear all

Lacking Emotions

MemberMember
(@kyle-1)

Posted : 09/18/2012 6:23 pm

I don't frequent this site nearly as much as I have in the past, but it is one of the only places I can go for unbiased advice. Has anyone ever lost feelings for everything? I know it's an odd question, but hear me out. Over the last few years, i've noticed myself caring about certain aspects of my life less and less. It's taken about 4 years for me to get to this point, but i'm fairly confident I can say I have no feelings or emotions left for anything or anyone. I don't really have any hobbies, every friend I have ever had has flipped on me, and my relationship with my family is far from good. I've noticed i'm quick to sever ties with people and it doesn't bother me at all. I've been on my own in every way for so long I feel like I don't need anyone or anything to get by. I used to think I was self conscious, but I really couldn't care less about anyones opinion of me. I honestly don't know what i'm trying to get out of this. Keep in mind, i'm a very introverted person and I have a very deep thought process. There is a lot more that goes into this, but I guess i'm just curious to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/18/2012 7:07 pm

It's so weird you mention all those things because that describes me somewhat. I match my feelings to depression though where i want to care but i don't, i want to be motivated, but i don't. Since you haven't been this way all your life it may be some type of depression or a similar disorder. We as human beings are meant to care and be social so i recommend you talk to a professional about all these feelings as in the grand scheme of things, we're not meant to be alone.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 09/18/2012 7:25 pm

I am like this about some things. Like I don't mind staying in my house by myself all day, and sometimes I actually prefer doing that. I usually don't go out unless one of my friends asks me to. I am kind of introverted too. I think that's what would make someone not care about the world around them - because they are in the world inside of their heads instead. You could compare introversion to video games or drugs - the more someone gets into them, the less they care about the real world.

That being said, I do enjoy doing some things, and I am motivated to do some things too. Just not social things...

MemberMember
(@kyle-1)

Posted : 09/18/2012 7:43 pm

Seems like the three of us are all in somewhat of the same boat. I wouldn't say i'm depressed, it's more of i'm aware of my surroundings. Not sure if that makes sense, but i've come to the conclusion people are replaceable and this world is nothing more than a rat race.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 09/19/2012 4:45 am

i've come to the conclusion people are replaceable and this world is nothing more than a rat race.

Well then your thinking is horribly flawed.

Sure there's a disappointing side to society. But you can't let that make you cynical. I really suggest you see a psychologist because if you continue on this wrong track you are on you are going to cause yourself a lot of grief.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 09/19/2012 12:32 pm

I don't frequent this site nearly as much as I have in the past, but it is one of the only places I can go for unbiased advice. Has anyone ever lost feelings for everything? I know it's an odd question, but hear me out. Over the last few years, i've noticed myself caring about certain aspects of my life less and less. It's taken about 4 years for me to get to this point, but i'm fairly confident I can say I have no feelings or emotions left for anything or anyone. I don't really have any hobbies, every friend I have ever had has flipped on me, and my relationship with my family is far from good. I've noticed i'm quick to sever ties with people and it doesn't bother me at all. I've been on my own in every way for so long I feel like I don't need anyone or anything to get by. I used to think I was self conscious, but I really couldn't care less about anyones opinion of me. I honestly don't know what i'm trying to get out of this. Keep in mind, i'm a very introverted person and I have a very deep thought process. There is a lot more that goes into this, but I guess i'm just curious to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Not at all weird.

Been through it myself and everyone at one point will probably go through this.

However i found it is was me with the problem not the rest of the world.

The common denominator in anything you do is you. If you are happy the way your are then stay that way. If you're unhappy then a life style change is needed for you to be at peace with yourself.

Just to add to what i just said.

I have times where i am super sociable and times where i don't go out too much. I have no problem enjoying my own company on Saturday night by myself.

Balance is key. You need a little bit of eveyrhting

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 09/24/2012 12:30 am

What you're describing sounds a lot like anhedonia, which is a common characteristic of depression. It's not uncommon to be depressed without ever feeling sad; sometimes depression manifests as a lack of pleasure and lack of motivation to engage in pleasurable activities. You're definitely not alone in feeling this way, and just know that there is a name for what you're likely experiencing as well as effective ways of treating it if you decide to seek help to change the way you are feeling.

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 09/24/2012 1:44 am

wow, story of my life!!!

ive kind of adopted an "i dont care attitude" over the years... my friend even told me i was like that with those exact words. it seems like you went through a lot to get to that, though. my problem is just like im... excrutiatingly bored with life. nothing bads ever happened to me, no ones ever turned on me and ive never had a bf so ive never gone through a breakup (lol) so im just really bored and just always want to be somewhere else, or i belong in a different era or world or something. if that makes sense haha.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 09/24/2012 2:22 am

Acne changes every thing. I have seen both side of the coin. I have been studying vedic astrology lately and it is possible to predict whether you will suffer from depression, acne etc. There is some thing called destiny. So keep on thinking what can be done to change your current situation. If not then suddenly you will realize than time has gone by and you have become old.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 09/24/2012 5:59 am

Acne changes every thing. I have seen both side of the coin. I have been studying vedic astrology lately and it is possible to predict whether you will suffer from depression, acne etc. There is some thing called destiny. So keep on thinking what can be done to change your current situation. If not then suddenly you will realize than time has gone by and you have become old.

I don't agree with this.

Firstly. Why do you think acne changes everything? Is it acne itself that changes your outlook or is it the social demands placed on us to look perfect that changes your outlook? I would argue it's society that is the problem and the demands that are placed on us.

Secondly and excuse my ignorance. How does vedic astrology predict if one will have depression or not? Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain and in a lot of cases can be traced back to poor diet and life style. I would be interest to see the scientific study behind vedic astrology in predicting if you are able to provide that study?

I believe it is within everyone to change their own lives or "destiny" as you have put it. We can't sit here as people and hope things will happen. We have to make things happen and only then will our lives change.

Never be disappointed with the results you never got from the work you never did.

That isn't a direct statement towards you but i think that is good advice for anyone.

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 11/03/2012 6:12 pm

You sound a lot like my brother. He is a 20 year old genius and serious underachiever. He started out doing extremely well in college and then it all went wrong. He became very apathetic and no longer had passion for the things he once loved. Writing, film, music, friends...Nothing. Flat. I wouldn't say he seemed depressed per se, he just didn't give a shit anymore. He flunked out of school and started smoking a lot of pot (and other crap, which was so unlike him before) and he would do this alone.

He started taking meds for depression about 6 months ago and he is slowly becoming his old self. I agree that this may be a form of depression. And for my brother, it had nothing to do with acne.