Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
paperbag

Really Dry On Only 40Mg, Should I Increase Dose?

I am about 145 pounds, 36 year old male. I am taking 20mg Claravis once in the morning, and 20mg from an online pharmacy at night, for a total of 40mg isotretinoin.

I want to go up to 40mg Claravis, because I have read that long term results are more likely with a higher dose. It seems to me this 6 months of suffering is only worth it if there are long term results. So I would really like to go up in dose another 20mg, to 60mg.

At my weight, I should be taking at least 60mg to be at 0.5mg/kg.

I started at 10mg twice a day for 1 month, then went up to 20mg twice a day for the second month. I'm about at the end of 2 months so far

I was still breaking out slightly on 10mg twice a day, but much improved. Then when I went up to 20mg, break outs went down even more, but my skin is now extremely dry.

I am seeing the dermatologist soon, and want to ask for 40mg pills....but am conflicted.

The dryness is very bad. I don't use any cleanser to wash my face any more...I can't. I juse use water. My face and lips are very dry and peeling I use cetaphil facial moisturizer. I use aquaphor for my lips. This is really bizarre for me. I used to have to wash my face with Neutrogena's 2% salicylic acid acne face wash multiple times per day. My skin was so oily, I would never even consider using a moisturizer. Now it's completely the opposite. I can't use even a mild face wash, and I have to use moisturizer.

I'd like to get some advice. Should I go up in accutane dose? I'd like to get to 60mg, so that would be 40mg in the morning, and 20mg at night. But my face is so unbearably dry now, I wonder if I can handle it. I have always been the type of person to get side effects from any medication I take. I guess I am just side effect prone. I worry if upping the dose would make me so dry I couldn't tolerate it.

I'm just concerned that if I stay on 40mg a day, it just won't be enough to give long lasting results. On the other hand, if I go up in dose to get to the therapeutic level, I won't be able to cope with the side effects.

Is it possible to get long term clearance of acne with lower than 0.5mg/kg? If I just stayed on 40mg a day, for 6 months, I wonder if I would remain clear forever. From what I've read, other people have some regrets if they don't do a "full course", 6 months, 0.5mg/kg - 1mg/kg. I don't have insurance, this is all out of pocket, so that's why I don't want to have to go through this again. And, of course, the dryness is not something I wan't to experience any longer than I have to.

I want to do this right, to try and make it as close to a 'cure" as possible. 10mg twice a day was nice, but I don't want to take Accutane for years. I can't afford it. No insurance sad.png

Any advice? Please help. Thank you so much to anyone who can lend their advice, or personal experience, or support. This is a very lonely journey for me.

Edited by paperbag

Are you self dosing/prescribing. Please don't. It's very dangerous and you really need to have blood work done. Speak to your derm. I think cumalitive (think i spelled that wrong) dose is more important than daily dose. So as long as you got your minium dosage for your weight/height/type of acne, you should be set.

Good Luck!

BTW accutane will dry you out like a mutha so invest in some good moisturizer

I am about 145 pounds, 36 year old male. I am taking 20mg Claravis once in the morning, and 20mg from an online pharmacy at night, for a total of 40mg isotretinoin.

I want to go up to 40mg Claravis, because I have read that long term results are more likely with a higher dose. It seems to me this 6 months of suffering is only worth it if there are long term results. So I would really like to go up in dose another 20mg, to 60mg.

At my weight, I should be taking at least 60mg to be at 0.5mg/kg.

I started at 10mg twice a day for 1 month, then went up to 20mg twice a day for the second month. I'm about at the end of 2 months so far

I was still breaking out slightly on 10mg twice a day, but much improved. Then when I went up to 20mg, break outs went down even more, but my skin is now extremely dry.

I am seeing the dermatologist soon, and want to ask for 40mg pills....but am conflicted.

The dryness is very bad. I don't use any cleanser to wash my face any more...I can't. I juse use water. My face and lips are very dry and peeling I use cetaphil facial moisturizer. I use aquaphor for my lips. This is really bizarre for me. I used to have to wash my face with Neutrogena's 2% salicylic acid acne face wash multiple times per day. My skin was so oily, I would never even consider using a moisturizer. Now it's completely the opposite. I can't use even a mild face wash, and I have to use moisturizer.

I'd like to get some advice. Should I go up in accutane dose? I'd like to get to 60mg, so that would be 40mg in the morning, and 20mg at night. But my face is so unbearably dry now, I wonder if I can handle it. I have always been the type of person to get side effects from any medication I take. I guess I am just side effect prone. I worry if upping the dose would make me so dry I couldn't tolerate it.

I'm just concerned that if I stay on 40mg a day, it just won't be enough to give long lasting results. On the other hand, if I go up in dose to get to the therapeutic level, I won't be able to cope with the side effects.

Is it possible to get long term clearance of acne with lower than 0.5mg/kg? If I just stayed on 40mg a day, for 6 months, I wonder if I would remain clear forever. From what I've read, other people have some regrets if they don't do a "full course", 6 months, 0.5mg/kg - 1mg/kg. I don't have insurance, this is all out of pocket, so that's why I don't want to have to go through this again. And, of course, the dryness is not something I wan't to experience any longer than I have to.

I want to do this right, to try and make it as close to a 'cure" as possible. 10mg twice a day was nice, but I don't want to take Accutane for years. I can't afford it. No insurance sad.png

Any advice? Please help. Thank you so much to anyone who can lend their advice, or personal experience, or support. This is a very lonely journey for me.

Based on what you are experiencing, I would not up the dose.