Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
josh3088

I Need Some Suggestions!

Hey guys,

Long time lurker of this website, and first time poster!

Since I was 13 (I'm 17 now) I have always had a pimple here or there, but nothing too serious. I've always had an oily face. The start of my junior year I started to get more inflamed breakouts, with an occasional cyst here or there. I had bad breakout in last March, and ever since then my skin has been more acne prone and is starting to wear down on my self-confidence.

I went to a dermatologist in april and he put me on 100 mg a day of doxycyclin, with Tazorac gel for nightime and Clindamycin for the morning. I also wash with Cetaphil and moisturize with Cetaphil moisturizer. The treatment definitely made an improvement and I no longer get cysts on my face anymore, but the acne still persists. I went back to my dermatologist and he recommended Accutane, but my skin has minor/moderate acne and I feel like he was rushing me into taking a dangerous drug that is for acne MUCH more serious than what I have.

My acne is just papules and pustules, no cysts, and I have only have about 5-10 of them on my face at a time, depending on if it's a good day or bad day. I rarely drink milk but I tried cutting it out of my system, which may have helped my skin a tiny bit. I eat relatively healthy for a teenager, so I don't think my diet plays too much into my face.

What treatments (prescription or otherwise) would work for mild/moderate acne with an oily face?