Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alporich

Help with my TCA 12.5% peel

Okay, on Thursday, around 630pm, I washed my back and applied the TCA peel, i put one layer, waited 5 minutes like it said then put anothe layer. I waited 5 more minutes then washed it off and put neosporin on it. I've been washing twice a day and applying neosporing as the instructions say. It's now Saturday and nothing has happened. I know it takes maybe another day or two to actually show signs of peeling, but it seems like applying the peel didn't do anything. I'm not going to apply the peel again, I'm going to wait but is there something wrong here? Shouldn't it be discolored or something, everyone else says their skin turned dark brown, kind of like leather and I'm wondering if there is something else I should do.

It might not be strong enough. The skin on your back is a lot thicker and tougher than the skin on your face so I'd assume you'd need something higher to get the brown leathery look. Although, it's only been 2 days so you might get some discoloration in a few more days. When I did my chest with the 12%, nothing seemed to happen and then a week later, I started peeling like crazy. More than I had ever peeled on my face. I'm sure it'll work, probobly just have to give it more time.

Oh, thanks for the info. So assuming that it does peel, how long do you think I should wait to do another peel? The instructions say to wait at least 3 weeks but that if I think I can do it sooner then it's ok. Any opinions?

Oh, thanks for the info.  So assuming that it does peel, how long do you think I should wait to do another peel?  The instructions say to wait at least 3 weeks but that if I think I can do it sooner then it's ok.  Any opinions?

Well I'm using a peel for hyperpigmentation, I already use hydroquinone 2%, but I thought this would help expedite the process. I hear good things about tca peel and hyperpigmentation so I thought I'd try it.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I had a TCA peel (the Obagi Blue Peel) done professionally 3 times. I have several scars on my back ranging from the top of my shoulder down to my tailbone. The first two times were at 15% and the third was at 30%. My first 15% gave me a little peeling around the 4th day and stopped peeling completely by the 8th day. The middle of my back and my shoulders didn't peel as much as my lower back. I probably got about a 40% overall improvement after 6 weeks. I then went again to get another peel at 15% and got absolutely NO improvement or peeling... turns out the TCA was weakened by excessive exposure to the air, so they did it again (for free!) at 30%. The last peel did the trick for me and now my scars are only visible if you look closely.

Also, the only skin color change I had was from the blue tint that eventually faded away. My back didn't frost or darken at all-- from what they told me, skin that thick won't. At all. But it does get that leathery feeling, without the brown color.

They did tell me that because the skin on the back is thicker, it's going to take more peels at a higher concentration to even be effective. Just from what I experienced, I'm not sure if you'll have much improvement with the 12.5 solution. My post is a little late I see, but still hope it's helpful.

Not indented. The majority of my scars were old--at least 5 years or so. They had reached that phase where they were white/pale pink in color, some (newer) scars were flat and brown.

So the peel essentially repigmented the ones that were white/light pink, then? Hmm... might be worth trying on the ones on my back... eusa_think.gif

I guess you can say that...  The peel helped lighten more with the brown scars, though and even out the white/light pink ones to match the surrounding skin color.  I'm very fair skinned, so the old white/light pink scars blend in more than the brown ones.  Since the peel helped the brown scars more, it worked to my advantage.

When I got the peel done, they only did two coats (the max they allowed for non facial skin) of each percentage.  I always wondered if more coats would help further since they can do up to four coats on the face....