Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
michi31

New Vs. Old Scars

Hello. I'm new to this forum and wanted to get some feedback on my situation. I never had cystic acne, just a history of regular acne on the sides of my chin. After coming off differin and getting pregnant back in November, I had a cystic acne breakout on the right side of my chin. I panicked and went for cortisone shots. I continued to break out and went back on differin in April for 7 weeks. During that time I started to notice the right side of my chin develping depressed areas where the cysts had been. I started to come to terms with the fact that it is acne scarring and have been in a state of devastation ever since. I have been obsessively researching and contacting doctors, and would be happy to share my experiences so far. As a side note, I think we need to share more on our experiences with specific doctors - it has been a source of great frustration to find one that doesn't just want to blindly sell you whatever laser he happened to buy...

Anyway, I am wondering several things. My scars are new I suppose and there is a chance the collagen is still remodeling. Is there anything I can do now to promote a normal remodelling process? I have retin a sittting in my drawer, but am terrified to use it because the scars only started becoming apparent after going back on the differin. I would love to have a whole other discussion on retinoids because I cannot figure out why this is the case. One plastic surgeon I spoke with (who was wonderful to talk with and I may travel to see him) said he thinks the scarring was caused by the coritsone shots which can cause delayed atrophy. (Has anyone experienced this? I thought any atrophy would occur right away).

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it there for now. Basically I'm wondering what to do now short of surgerical revisions which I am also seeking (greatly interested in subcision). Thanks for reading - I think this is and important and valuable forum and hopefully I hope I can be one of those who brings something positive and helpful to it.