Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Estranged

Workout Routine For 14 Year Old Guy

Can anyone give me a basic workout routine which includes exercises like pushups, situps, and curls with relatively light dumbells? I'm quite skinny (5'10" and 62kg), and thought I could gain a bit of muscle by doing this. Right now I'm only doing:

4 sets 10 pushups

4 sets 12 chest flies

4 sets 15 crunches

4 sets 12 bicep curls

4 sets 12 hammer curls (as my forearms are skinny and I wanted to work the area)

Is this okay or is there anything I could add in? I'm not taking any supplements by the way, just eating my normal, healthy diet (which some people think is TOO healthy) haha. Thanks :)

Pull-ups are really good if you have the means to do them. However if you're really looking to bulk up, you may need to start lifting 2-3 times a week, and increase your regimen gradually. Also you're gonna want to add squats & lunges so you're also working your lower body.

Edited by Angel1982

Don't have a bar :/ Yeah I was going for Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Increase my regimen as in..? And I heard somewhere that squats and lunges cause breakouts somehow

Hey Estranged,

I'm a similar build to you, 5'9" and 65kg. When you first start weight training, focus on compound movements that use all the major muscle groups like squats & deadlifts, chest press, bent over rows, etc. Don't worry too much about isolated exercises like curls or crunches until you're more advanced.

This way, you'll develop a nice, balanced physique and encourage your body to grow. You don't need to go overboard, especially as you're still young. A simple routine and a healthy diet is all you need at this stage.

Squats and lunges don't cause breakouts directly but they do stimulate your growth hormones, which could theoretically worsen acne. The effect is likely to be very mild though so I certainly wouldn't let that put you off. Better to do squats than end up top heavy ;-)

There's free information and some handy tools on my website if you're interested to learn more about training, nutrition and acne. Check out http://www.smartbodymage.com/blog/ and http://www.smartbodymage.com/free-stuff/.

Drop me an email if you have any more questions. I'd be happy to help.

Cheers, Tom.

Flat bench press, incline bench press, flat dumbbell press, incline dumbbell press, military press, dumbbell shoulder press, dumbbell lateral raises, dumbbell rear raises, machine flies, reverse machine flies, barbell and dumbbell shrugs, deadlift, squat, crunches, leg raises, cable pushdowns, dumbbell and barbell curls, hammer curls, skullcrushers...

I recommend not doing too many isolation exercises like chest flys and hammer curls. Since you're a beginner and a skinny guy you should do primarily compound lifts like barbell bench press, barbell squat, barbell deadlift, barbell bent-over rows, etc. And don't only work out your forearms, because even though they may be skinny, they are in proportion with the rest of your body. Every skinny person has skinny forearms. If you just train forearms then you're going to have big forearms but a skinny body and it'll look weird, you need to train your entire body and get bigger as a whole, so you'll gain the most weight and be in proportion.

I recommend you do a 3 day split, for example on Monday work out your chest/triceps/shoulders all your pushing movements with barbell bench press, barbell shoulder press, dips, stuff like that. Then on Wednesday for example, work out all your legs so like quads/hamstrings/calves, legs are really important because you don't want to have a big upper body and skinny legs. So for that day you should do things like barbell squats and barbell deadlifts (or stiff legged deadlift). Finally on Friday you should workout your back/biceps so do things like pull ups (or chin ups), barbell/dumbbell bent-over row, and barbell/dumbbell curls. Only work out like 3 times a week especially as aabeginner because you don't want to over-train or get injured.

If you want to get big you can't just use some dumbbells or resistance bands at home, that can help at first but if you really want to gain muscle mass you need to go to the gym and lift heavy weights. And also another tip as a beginner don't use any machines, only use free weights like barbell/dumbbell because they recruit more muscle fibers which means more muscle gains.