Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheTruthHurts

How Fast Can Direct Sunlight Make Hyperpigmentation Darker?

How long does it take exactly for direct sunlight on dark marks/ hyperpigmentations to get worse/ darker? I try to avoid sunlight as much as possible as I do have a few dark spots left after acne whiteheads.

How long does it take exactly for direct sunlight on dark marks/ hyperpigmentations to get worse/ darker? I try to avoid sunlight as much as possible as I do have a few dark spots left after acne whiteheads.

that's a good question, I also avoid the sun as much as possible. I've heard some people say wear sunscreen even if you step out for 30 seconds, I've heard some say that you would need an hour or more of sunlight to actually impact the marks.

I think it's good to just put sunscreen on every time you step out but I'd be very very surprised if a couple of minutes of sun could do anything

This is one of those questions that we can't give you a definitive answer to. Depends on skin type, elevation (proximity to the sun), amount of sun, amount of UVB/UVA rays that day...You would be better off asking a scientist to monitor it on your own skin to determine that.

that's a good question, I also avoid the sun as much as possible. I've heard some people say wear sunscreen even if you step out for 30 seconds, I've heard some say that you would need an hour or more of sunlight to actually impact the marks.

I think it's good to just put sunscreen on every time you step out but I'd be very very surprised if a couple of minutes of sun could do anything

Yea I heard 30 seconds or an hour also. I sure hope I'm not the 30 seconds type. Also, I've always wondered this: If I was under an umbrella, covering my self (ESP. face) could I still be tanning/ making marks darker even though it is not direct contact? Like do the rays travel side ways or soemthing is what I'm asking or will it only affect me through direct contact only?

This is one of those questions that we can't give you a definitive answer to. Depends on skin type, elevation (proximity to the sun), amount of sun, amount of UVB/UVA rays that day...You would be better off asking a scientist to monitor it on your own skin to determine that.

Yea I figured everyone would be different when it comes to sunlight. If it helps, I'm basically exposed to sunlight only when I go to my car to get to school and out to get back home, so not too much sunlight. Also, like I've asked the one above, Wondering if you know this: If I was under an umbrella, covering my self (ESP. face) from the sun on a hot day, could I still be tanning/ making marks darker even though it is not direct contact? Like do the rays travel side ways or soemthing is what I'm asking or will it only affect me through direct contact only?

As Green Gables said, it's different from person to person. Avoiding the sun, however, isn't necessary nor advisable. Just wear sunscreen on your face, and let the sun "touch" your arms and/or legs for up to 30 minutes a day or so (avoiding the hottest time). It has many health benefits.

Yea I heard 30 seconds or an hour also. I sure hope I'm not the 30 seconds type. Also, I've always wondered this: If I was under an umbrella, covering my self (ESP. face) could I still be tanning/ making marks darker even though it is not direct contact? Like do the rays travel side ways or soemthing is what I'm asking or will it only affect me through direct contact only?

There are several studies about this, 2 of them:

Ultraviolet radiation protection by a beach umbrella

The solar ultraviolet B radiation protection provided by shading devices with regard to its diffuse component

The amount of sun rays that reach your skin is probably different with different umbrellas, but they won't block the UV rays 100%.

very interesting. I often go outside in my backyard at around 2-3 oclock (sometimes 11-12 in the morning) with my shirt off, and i have moderate bacne. Maybe this is why my marks arent fading?