Notifications
Clear all

Makeup Help

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/16/2012 2:01 pm

Haven't worn makeup in 5 years and now that my acne is bad, i am looking into investing in makeup that will make my acne look less obvious (not planning on adding eye shadow/blush or any other fandangles - just want to cover my acne and make it look less obvious without making me look like a person trying to cover my acne.)

My acne type:

red inflamed undergrounders all over cheeks, some on chin

chin/mouth area covered in smaller red bumps

I want a makeup that is not medicated to treat acne as my face is already dry and i may or may not be doing a course of accutane next month

Also, something that won't clog my pores and make my acne worse

MemberMember
(@thatusernameisalreadytaken)

Posted : 09/16/2012 2:48 pm

I know its a foundation formulated for acne prone skin but Clinique anti-blemish soloutions neutral is very good for acne prone skin it really does not dry out the skin and i have very dry skin most of the time. It a little bit like a primer it glides on so easy and most of all looks natural!

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 09/16/2012 4:10 pm

I think that Clinique stuff has salicylic acid so that doesn't really help much, that would really dry your skin out further.

I have tried eeeevery kind of makeup known to man since the age of 11 to conceal blemishes and of course stay noncomedogenic with all of the products.

The best thing you can do is buy a good concealer. You can't really say what will break you out and what won't because everyone has different levels of sensitivites but L'Oreal's True Match concealer is pretty darn nice (and comes in a billion colors, is noncomedogenic, and doesn't look cakey). The True Match foundation is also nice and light too, perfect for the non-makeup wearers.

There's also a dying out concealer (but it's always at Wal-Mart) and that's Maybelline 24 Hr Super Stay concealer. It's noncomedogenic as well and provides pretty good coverage.

I've heard Maybelline's Fit Me concealer is noncomedogenic but I had some issues with it and it slides right off a couple hours later.

But yeah find a good concealer that matches well with your skin tone and if you want to even it out even more add a nice foundation that's thin and won't make it look like you're wearing a mask. :P

Almay is always a good makeup line for people with sensitive skin (AKA acne). Good luck I hope I helped a little!

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 09/16/2012 4:27 pm

Clinique isn't great.

The new formula of Vichy Dermablend is good. Much thinner than the previous formula and covers red marks etc really well. Doesn't cause any issues with my super sensitive skin.

I don't have acne anymore but if I get a little redness, I use a little of this to even my skin tone.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 09/16/2012 5:34 pm

I've also used vichys dermablend and it's good, but has a very limited shade range.

Lots of people suggest estee lauders double wear and this is what I'm wearing now, it's pretty good, but it took me a while to master applying it. It's pretty hard to get off (which does of course mean it lasts all day), but people say it doesnt break them out, its hard to tell for me since i'm on accutane.

A green primer or concealer underneath a foundation will also help with your redness.

MemberMember
(@jamris12)

Posted : 09/17/2012 3:21 am

I have tried eeeevery kind of makeup known to man since the age of 11 to conceal blemishes and of course stay noncomedogenic with all of the products.

LOL. i sometimes feel the same even though i am far from trying every foundation out there. but believe me, i have tried a lot. my favorite concealer is laura geller's real deal. you need very little, and the lasting power is pretty great when you set it with powder. i don't think it works well for the under eye, though. the value is crazy, too. it's $20, but you use so little because it's so concentrated. i wouldn't be surprised if the tube lasted a year or longer with every day use.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/17/2012 11:24 am

Anything from Sephora? Thanks for all the great suggestions! I am so overwhelmed right now.

MemberMember
(@mwilso)

Posted : 09/18/2012 8:45 am

Anything from Sephora? Thanks for all the great suggestions! I am so overwhelmed right now.

I love reading reviews on makeupalley (I guess I don't have a lot going on) and people just love Make Up Forever Full Cover Concealer, and it's available at Sephora.

I plan on trying it, as soon as I get going to a Sephora.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 09/18/2012 11:47 am

Covergirl Clean makeup is really nice and has never made me break out :)

After going so long without wearing makeup, a nice light foundation such as this one might be a good idea to start with.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/18/2012 5:15 pm

So went to Sephora and Walgreens and came back with a bag full of nothing. All of Sephora's stuff had bad ingredients to one degree or another and i couldn't select my tone from Walgreens. Stuck!

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 09/18/2012 11:43 pm

Really? ALL of the products at Sephora contain bad ingredients?? Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet +, Make Up For Ever HD, Laura Mercier Silk Creme, NARS Sheer Glow, Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour, Lancome Double Wear...I mean there are literally dozens of foundations at Sephora that I've used (and loved) that did not cause me to break out.

And I know that if you purchase foundation at CVS, you can return it if you don't like it or if it's the wrong color. I don't know what the return policy is like at Walgreens but I would assume that it's the same.

It's difficult to recommend a foundation with so little information about what you're looking for. Natural-looking coverage? Medium or full coverage? Do you have dry skin? Combo? Oily? Are you going to use concealer?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/19/2012 12:59 pm

So went to Sephora and Walgreens and came back with a bag full of nothing. All of Sephora's stuff had bad ingredients to one degree or another and i couldn't select my tone from Walgreens. Stuck!

As far as comedogenic ingredients go, Loreal True Match is fine. I'm planning on switching to that once my MAC runs out, because all of MACs tones have too much yellow or too much pink. I'm definitely pink undertoned but more of a neutral. True Match has MANY tones in both Warm, Neutral, and Cool.

Water, Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Isoeicosane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphates, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, Hexyl Laurate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopherol, Panthenol

I'm not usually one for drugstore makeup, but I did a test with it and I think Loreal really got this one right. I will definitely love paying $8 a bottle instead of $30. Though I will still apply everything with my great MAC foundation brushes.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/19/2012 8:43 pm

Really? ALL of the products at Sephora contain bad ingredients?? Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet +, Make Up For Ever HD, Laura Mercier Silk Creme, NARS Sheer Glow, Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hour, Lancome Double Wear...I mean there are literally dozens of foundations at Sephora that I've used (and loved) that did not cause me to break out.

And I know that if you purchase foundation at CVS, you can return it if you don't like it or if it's the wrong color. I don't know what the return policy is like at Walgreens but I would assume that it's the same.

It's difficult to recommend a foundation with so little information about what you're looking for. Natural-looking coverage? Medium or full coverage? Do you have dry skin? Combo? Oily? Are you going to use concealer?

Well let me say that some of the ingredients were on green gables master list of comodogenic ingredients. I break out in multiple pimples everyday so i have to be oh so careful about makeup ....sigh. I didn't realize the makeup policy so now i know i can buy and return. My acne is small red bumps and several inflamed, underground zits on chin and cheeks. Ialso have large pores and combo skin.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 09/20/2012 2:31 pm

Also, I know for sure that Sephora accepts returns as well. So if you try something and don't love it, just take it back.

MemberMember
(@jamris12)

Posted : 10/01/2012 2:48 am

^ yup. lol. there are some good return policies out there when it comes to makeup, actually. i wasn't too impressed with the makeupforever full coverage. i am seriously in the minority though. when i first tried it, it seemed to work well, but i noticed after using it for longer that the staying power sucks. on me, anyway. the shades run really light for that concealer. i had to get a number six, and i'm an NC25 in mac. i burn like a lobster :/

MemberMember
(@linali26)

Posted : 10/01/2012 4:53 am

Vichy dermablend foundation!!!

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/07/2012 9:17 pm

Alima pure mineral makeup... It's amazing. I use a kabuki brush to apply and a concealer brush and use the powder to add on places that need it, I can cover almost anything with it but it looks natural. On their website you can order small samples of colors for a dollar each... Best makeup I've ever used.

MemberMember
(@crab76)

Posted : 10/09/2012 9:29 am

Jane Iredale Mineral Make-up. It's the cleanest mineral make-up. Will not break you out and covers amazing. It was created for burn patients or sumthing like that. :)

This is a quote off their site......

"we feel confident that our makeup will not make acne-prone skin worse and may even help it. Our makeup is completely non-comedogenic and allows the skin to breathe and function normally. It also easily covers the redness common with eruptions. We have had many aestheticians report to us that they have seen an improvement in the skins of their clients since they have been using jane iredale."

I have two friends I turned on to this makeup and they seriosuly thank me all the time. They say their skin is the best it's ever been. I get compliments on my skin when I wear this stuff and that's NUTS cuz I have a TON of Reddness, Hyperpigmentation, Large Pores, and Acne. I have Hormonal Cysts too! (on chin/jaw) It covers so well and stays on all day. I hardly ever retouch and my skin is super oily. I just use my oil blotting sheets during the day.

I also use Laura Mercier concealer which is all over the internet for the best (non-comedogenic) concealer for covering acne. :)

MemberMember
(@linali26)

Posted : 10/12/2012 9:50 pm

Jane Iredale Mineral Make-up. It's the cleanest mineral make-up. Will not break you out and covers amazing. It was created for burn patients or sumthing like that. :)

This is a quote off their site......

"we feel confident that our makeup will not make acne-prone skin worse and may even help it. Our makeup is completely non-comedogenic and allows the skin to breathe and function normally. It also easily covers the redness common with eruptions. We have had many aestheticians report to us that they have seen an improvement in the skins of their clients since they have been using jane iredale."

I have two friends I turned on to this makeup and they seriosuly thank me all the time. They say their skin is the best it's ever been. I get compliments on my skin when I wear this stuff and that's NUTS cuz I have a TON of Reddness, Hyperpigmentation, Large Pores, and Acne. I have Hormonal Cysts too! (on chin/jaw) It covers so well and stays on all day. I hardly ever retouch and my skin is super oily. I just use my oil blotting sheets during the day.

I also use Laura Mercier concealer which is all over the internet for the best (non-comedogenic) concealer for covering acne. :)

Hi Crab,

Where do you get your Jane iredale makeup, what do you use? Do they have samples?

MemberMember
(@crab76)

Posted : 10/15/2012 8:39 pm

I get it from a beauty supply called Planet Beauty. (I live in Orange County CA) They also sell it at Med-Spa's, Plastic Surgeons Offices ect. Just google Jane Iredale Locations and put in your zip code. Once you know your colors you can also order online which I do sometimes. :)

I use the Pressed Base foundation in golden glow, Balance antioxidant hydration spray, So-Bronz #1. And I also have the Handi Brush to apply the powder. It's a must becuase it was made specifically for this powder.

As far as samples.... I went to a spa once in Seattle a looooong time ago and they gave me samples. That's actually how I got hooked on this makeup. So maybe! Just ask.

I hope you try it and love it as much as I do.

MemberMember
(@onlyskindeep)

Posted : 10/21/2012 7:34 pm

Palladio cosmetics. Dual wet/dry foundation compact.