Yaz Vs. Tri-Cyclen ...

Notifications
Clear all

Yaz Vs. Tri-Cyclen For Adult Hormonal Acne

MemberMember
(@sarah25)

Posted : 09/15/2012 11:54 am

I'm a 22 year old female who struggles with adult hormonal acne.

I have very bad acne on my lower cheeks. I was able to clear up my first major out break about a year ago with minocycline. However, the minocycline stopped working and my acne has come back in full force. This time, my doctor put me on Epiduo and Yaz birth control.

I haven't been on the pill for a long time because I hate the weight gain the comes with it, but I'd MUCH rather have clear skin and 10 extra pounds.

Anyway, here is what I'm wondering. I'm only a month into Yaz and haven't noticed a change, even with the Epiduo. If anything, my acne has gotten a bit worse but I'm not sure if that is just the initial breakout from the products or what.

I don't want to jump too fast, but I was thinking about it the other day and I realized that for all of high school and up until I was 20, I was on Tri-Cyclen regularly. I didn't have ANY skin problems when I was on it, and Im wondering if that is because the Tri-Cyclen was regulating it.

I'm debating on asking my derm to go back on Tri-Cyclen, but I just know that Yaz is specific for people with hormonal acne so I don't want to screw myself over.

Does anyone have any advice or info on the difference between Yaz and Tri-Cyclen? In anyone's experience, which one is better?

I'm torn. i just want to get on a pill that works for my face and its suuuch a frustrating process (as I'm sure everyone knows).

Thanks guys!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/15/2012 4:30 pm

If you had clear skin on OTC, then I would just go back on OTC. Everyone's hormones are so different, that if you found something that keeps your skin clear, don't fix what's not broken.

Yaz only works for acne because it has a low dose of spironolactone in it. I'm on straight spironolactone 100mg a day. Yaz would not clear me because it only contains a 25mg dose. So it may or may not clear your acne.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 09/19/2012 1:13 pm

You also have to remember what cleared your skin as a teen or young adult may not be the same as what will now as an adult

I've been taking OTC since I was 15. It cleared me for the most part until I got until my mid 20s. Now I'm 28 and struggling again, with some larger pustules/cysts.

Mine is all hormonal on my chin and jawline. OTC does its job of not getting me pregnant and no side effects, so I'm going to keep using it.

I just saw my dr today and he said that OTC actually has the most anti-acne proven research than any other BCP- mostly because its been widely used for a very long time.

I've been gluten free, that helped a little, now trying elimination diets. 2 week trials of removing something from my diet. First its rice, then dairy, then citrus. We'll see whats a trigger. Hopefully something.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@palestblue)

Posted : 09/19/2012 3:09 pm

Hi! I just stumbled across this at a good time. I went to my gyno for a normal yearly exam today. I told her that I have had worsening acne over the last year or so. I also told her I wasn't sure if my normal birth control pill (Lutera) was causing it or just not doing anything to help make it better.

My doc gave me the option of switching to either Ortho Cyclen or Yaz. She said yes, Yaz can help women with acne due to the extra hormone drospirenone -which is similar to spironolactone - a hormone that has other effects such as diuresis which can cause lowering blood pressure and increased blood potassium levels.

She also said that she prefers to prescribe Ortho cyclen instead of ortho tri-cyclen especially for patients with acne because the Tri-cycle variety has three different phases of hormones for the three "active pill" weeks. This frequent change in hormones causes side effects in some women- including acne. Ortho-cyclen BCPs include only one phase of the same amnts of hormones for the whole three "active" weeks, and then the inactive week.

One more option she gave me is to start the new pack of BCPs immediately after finishing the "active" pills-- so you never take the inactive/spacer pills (of course this means not getting a period). She says this eliminates some hormone fluctuation and might also help acne.

Anyway, I am 27 next month, and didn't really have acne problems until 25 years old. My acne sounds similar to yours- pretty bad, only on my lower cheeks/jaw area. I am going to start ortho cyclen next time i start a new back of BCPs. For now, I don't think I want to do the continuous method she talked about. I think I will just take the full packs. I can keep you updated if you want!

MemberMember
(@neika1)

Posted : 09/23/2012 9:17 am

Today I am leaving Beyaz to start ortho tri. I been on beyaz for a yr and believe my body became immune to it and my derm wants to switch me. Funny because I was on ortho tryclen when I was 17 and I'm 26 now. I start today sooo let's see..

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 10/01/2012 12:32 pm

I'm a 22 year old female who struggles with adult hormonal acne.

I have very bad acne on my lower cheeks. I was able to clear up my first major out break about a year ago with minocycline. However, the minocycline stopped working and my acne has come back in full force. This time, my doctor put me on Epiduo and Yaz birth control.

I haven't been on the pill for a long time because I hate the weight gain the comes with it, but I'd MUCH rather have clear skin and 10 extra pounds.

Anyway, here is what I'm wondering. I'm only a month into Yaz and haven't noticed a change, even with the Epiduo. If anything, my acne has gotten a bit worse but I'm not sure if that is just the initial breakout from the products or what.

I don't want to jump too fast, but I was thinking about it the other day and I realized that for all of high school and up until I was 20, I was on Tri-Cyclen regularly. I didn't have ANY skin problems when I was on it, and Im wondering if that is because the Tri-Cyclen was regulating it.

I'm debating on asking my derm to go back on Tri-Cyclen, but I just know that Yaz is specific for people with hormonal acne so I don't want to screw myself over.

Does anyone have any advice or info on the difference between Yaz and Tri-Cyclen? In anyone's experience, which one is better?

I'm torn. i just want to get on a pill that works for my face and its suuuch a frustrating process (as I'm sure everyone knows).

Thanks guys!

Noooo!!!!! Stay on the Yaz!!! Trust me! Give it at least 4 months! I've tried many different BCP's due to my hormonal acne and Yaz is the only one that completely cleared me up! Just give it time because it is SO worth it!

I'm pregnant now and my skin is a disaster! I can't wait until baby is born and I can go back on the Yaz.

MemberMember
(@rubberducky__007)

Posted : 10/14/2012 9:06 pm

My derm switched me to Yaz 6 years ago just for my acne. It took a while to work, but once it did I had PERFECT skin!

But...there is a huge but here...

I went off of it mid August (wanting a baby) and the acne is back with a vengance! I am even getting them on my chest and back - - places never before affected by acne. I have been doing some reading and it seems that bc can cause hormonal imbalances later. There is a whole huge thread here about acne after stopping BC. I am now on the search for something else. Diet and supplements seems to be the biggest helpers.

Bottom line: works great for hormonal acne, but make an informed choice.

Good luck!