Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jordeyy

Best Peels For Blocked Pores And Red Marks?

i have many whiteheads, blackheads, and red marks. i've tried salicylic acid peels before, but they where only really marginally effective, not really helping the pores, and some times being irritating. i've tried mechanical exfoliation, but this seems to make my skin look better for an hour or twp, then it gets redder and feels irritated. so what peel, thats not overly irritating, would be good for both unblocking pores and getting rid of red marks?

I've used peels on and off for a few years now and have never really found them to be that useful for maintaining a clear complexion. As you say, it often starts out well, then either becomes ineffective or starts to irritate the skin. I've had similar results to you with mechanical exfoliation too and decided to give that up completely in the end.

I still use a 20% salicylic peel from time to time if my skin needs a boost but it is very drying even though I have very oily skin. What has worked quite well for me in the past, and is recommended by Skin Laboratories, is to alternate between salicylic and lactic peels. The lactic helps to continue the exfoliation started by the salicylic while combating the dryness by drawing moisture out from deep within the skin (it is a powerful humectant). Lactic acid is also less irritating that glycolic and could help you work up to the frequency you need without causing excessive irritation.

I'd also recommend trying the 'little and often' approach with peels as this seems to provide better results with less irritation, at least it has in my experience.

I've used peels on and off for a few years now and have never really found them to be that useful for maintaining a clear complexion. As you say, it often starts out well, then either becomes ineffective or starts to irritate the skin. I've had similar results to you with mechanical exfoliation too and decided to give that up completely in the end.

I still use a 20% salicylic peel from time to time if my skin needs a boost but it is very drying even though I have very oily skin. What has worked quite well for me in the past, and is recommended by Skin Laboratories, is to alternate between salicylic and lactic peels. The lactic helps to continue the exfoliation started by the salicylic while combating the dryness by drawing moisture out from deep within the skin (it is a powerful humectant). Lactic acid is also less irritating that glycolic and could help you work up to the frequency you need without causing excessive irritation.

I'd also recommend trying the 'little and often' approach with peels as this seems to provide better results with less irritation, at least it has in my experience.

i'm not really using it as a cure to my acne, just to speed up progress a little. alot of my inflamed spots have gone, and i'm getting fewer, but many whiteheads still persist, and many of them are opening up and turning into black heads. i also have alot of red marks/ red patches. i wouldnt want to do 20% SA again, didnt like the feeling, too irritating. would mixing 10% SA and lactic acid be a good peel? or would they have to be done separately?

i'm not really using it as a cure to my acne, just to speed up progress a little. alot of my inflamed spots have gone, and i'm getting fewer, but many whiteheads still persist, and many of them are opening up and turning into black heads. i also have alot of red marks/ red patches. i wouldnt want to do 20% SA again, didnt like the feeling, too irritating. would mixing 10% SA and lactic acid be a good peel? or would they have to be done separately?

Yeah, the 20% SA can certainly feel uncomfortable, particularly if used frequently.

You can't mix SA and LA (SA's a BHA so oil soluble, LA's an AHA so water soluble) but you can layer them. Apply the SA first, then the LA. The SA helps the LA to penetrate the skin's oil barrier allowing it to go deeper into the skin to give a deeper peel.

You can buy them mixed (with additional ingredients) but the result is a Level 4 peel, which is quite strong but could work well for you. Check out http://www.skinlaboratory.com/bha.

Edited by Tom Frearson