Notifications
Clear all

Folliculitis Anyone?

MemberMember
(@grubby456)

Posted : 09/14/2012 9:39 pm

I wonder if any of you guys had already cured Folliculitis? My pimples are the same of the guys from this thread http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/309336-acne-or-folliculitis/

Apparently, it is caused by bacterial of fungus.

In my case, it respond to massive amount of BP twice a day it leaves huge redness and the day that I stop it comes back within 2 weeks.

Right now I'm trying Tinactin which is an antifungal cream combined with a candida diet and Candex, so I'm going all in for the fungus theory. No results after 5 day but I guess it takes more time (took a month for BP).

I wonder if any of you guys had already cured Folliculits, in my case I follow a ''perfect'' diet (no gluten, dairy, peanut, alcohol, sauces, fermented food, sugar, carbs) so it's definitively not a diet issue.

I also use all natural stuff (shampoo, toothpaste, body wash)

I had bad lip licker habits, it might be a reason for the pimples directly on my lips.

The pimple are only around my mouth and lips, and even in my nostril.

I thought it was a kind of dermatitis, but it's really looks like Folliculitis

So yeah again, I wonder if any of you had already fixed that naturally or with the help of over the counter products, thanks again

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/15/2012 10:23 am

I'm going to step in and see if anybody has cured this as well.

MemberMember
(@grubby456)

Posted : 09/15/2012 1:54 pm

I went to see a doctor today for the first time, he said that it was Bacterial since it respond to benzoyl peroxide.

He also said that I was stupid to wait all this time (over a year now lol). He prescribed me Minocycline 100mg for 2 months and told me it should be gone within weeks and continue using it to avoid recurrence.

Hope he's right, i'm still scared of antibiotics but I guess I'll mix them with probiotics.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/15/2012 4:16 pm

Dermatologists never change. They ALWAYS just write prescriptions for antibiotics.

This shit infuriates me.

MemberMember
(@grubby456)

Posted : 09/15/2012 5:50 pm

After a year and a half of diet, over the counter cream, antifungals etc. I never had result really other than BP.

I always said that I would not use antibiotics, but now I'm kind of desperate. I'm only 21 and I would like to enjoy the rest of my college year :P

I'm pretty sure it's going to work since my problem seems to be bacterial, but at what cost! Recurrence really scare me, so I guess i'll stick with good habits even when my treatment will be done (SLS free stuff, good diet...)

Doctor told me that my case wasn't that bad but I should had consult before it started spreading, right now I only have a 1 month prescription, and if we see result within weeks I have to do another full month to avoid relapse.

Don't know why I kinda trust him, the dude was pretty cool.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/17/2012 2:17 pm

The easiest way to treat folliculitis over the counter is topical Betadine (also known as topical iodine). Betadine kills ALL bacteria, yeast, protozoa, and fungi after coming in contact with it for 90 seconds. Any other antibiotics or antifungal medications you use will only kill a range of microorganisms, so you may need to take several courses of different spectrums of pills or creams. Betadine just nukes everything on your skin. They use it to prepare skin for surgery. You can get it for $6 at Walmart.

I have used it, it's not harmful, and it doesn't burn at all. Only downside is it has a temporary orange stain. You need to apply it all over your face, leave it on for 90 seconds, rinse it off, and then wait about 15 minutes for the orangeness to fade.

MemberMember
(@justin333)

Posted : 10/19/2012 8:15 pm

BUMP

I have the same exact issue along with seborrheic dermatitis. The folliculitis outbreaks are the big concern though and look exactly like Sir Paul's. They spread rapidly, follicle to follicle sometimes even form to make one big nasty inflamed whitehead. Sodium Sulfacetamide had been keeping it clear for a couple months but now is back with a vengance. I had some great success with dead sea salt soaks for awhile but became ineffective. It is super depressing and help would be so greaty appreciated. I'm looking for a more natural cure. Thanks

MemberMember
(@clearje)

Posted : 10/22/2012 11:57 pm

I last posted on acne.org about 8 years ago (under a different screename which I've since forgotten) just to respond to this thread. If you haven't already, try chlorhexidine gluconate 4%. The brand name is Hibiclens, but the Hibiclens formula is very runny and is red in color. I use either the Walgreens or CVS brand in the shower once a day in the morning and haven't had a trace of folliculitis since starting it. It's very affordable, $7-10 for an 8oz bottle and a little goes a long way. My last bottle lasted me about 4 months applying it once daily. My only word of caution is do not get it in your eyes. Not because it will burn, although I'm sure it will, but because studies show it can cause damage to your eyes/vision. This is why I do not apply it above my eyes (not neccessary actually since no folliculitis in that area) I wet my face, pour a small amount of the liquid onto my index and middle finger, and massage it into the areas (with eyes CLOSED) where my facial hair grows including my neck. Takes 20-30 seconds and then you simply rinse it off. It continues to work against bacteria for roughly 6 hours. I suggest doing a little research on your own before deciding but it's been the only thing to work for me.