Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gymrat3

Need Shaving Advice!

So apparently the only time I get acne, by now it's mainly just red bumps I haven't been getting white heads (knock on wood) is when I shave. So my thought is if I don't shave I won't have to deal with acne, but I obviously need to shave.

Need some best advice on this, I use a gilette razor and non fragranced aveeno shaving cream.

Anything helps, thanks.

Guest T.M.

Your only other choices are an electric or a beard trimmer with the comb taken off. I'm using a trimmer at the moment. This isn't ideal if your after a clean shave though or if you apply topicals as they don't absorb as well. I hear the Aveeno cream is the best you can get so your on the right track if your gonna stick with wet shaving.

maybe add jojoba oil? to keep the area moisturized to help reduce the irritation that shaving can cause... just be very gentle. even when drying and washing the area:)

Th aveeno is the best shave cream you could use so you are good there. I would suggest maybe trying an electric shaver. I know Dan says they cause irritation, but I have one and I love it and I think I get less irritation from that than I do from a regular razor. I would occasionally get a couple tiny whiteheads after shaving back when I was on the regimen. May just have to deal with it. Recently I have just been growing a beard so I haven't had to worry about shaving. Maybe you should just try that lol if you like having a beard and can grow one that looks good I would recommend it. I think my skin has gotten healthier since I've been growing it out because it is more natural to not shave. My skin seems to like it, and if there is any acne under the beard, I can't see it anyway so that is a plus lol

Ya I can't grow that great of a beard plus my beard hair is like brownish red and I'm not sure why I have red facial hair when I don't have red anything else...

But, the hair on my right side of my face grows to the right, like along the jaw line, so do I shave the way the hair goes or just shave straight down? The hair on my left side of my face grows straight down and I rarely get acne on that side..

I personally find that a close shave is the best thing for the regimen. It allows you to put the products (benzoyl peroxide, moisturizer) directly onto your skin. If you have a bit of a beard, or a scruff of hair in the way, it becomes harder for the product to penetrate. It's also good to get rid of as much hair as possible, because it tends to retail dirt and oils that don't do good things for acne. That's why I shave every single morning, even on the days I'm just bumming around the house. It's also why I don't use an electric shaver or beard trimmer. They tend not to shave quite as closely.

Most guys have weird beard patterns. You learn the way your hair grows as you get older. I would recommend shaving with the pattern of your beard. So, shave to the right on that side of your face. It's quite common for the colour of a person's beard to be slightly different than the colour of your regular hair. It sometimes even changes colour over time. Don't worry about it.

I've been wondering about a getting a better shave cream for myself. Right now I just use Dan's cleanser, but I don't like it. It doesn't seem to lubricate well enough. Maybe I'll try that Aveeno stuff.

I personally find that a close shave is the best thing for the regimen. It allows you to put the products (benzoyl peroxide, moisturizer) directly onto your skin. If you have a bit of a beard, or a scruff of hair in the way, it becomes harder for the product to penetrate. It's also good to get rid of as much hair as possible, because it tends to retail dirt and oils that don't do good things for acne. That's why I shave every single morning, even on the days I'm just bumming around the house. It's also why I don't use an electric shaver or beard trimmer. They tend not to shave quite as closely.

Most guys have weird beard patterns. You learn the way your hair grows as you get older. I would recommend shaving with the pattern of your beard. So, shave to the right on that side of your face. It's quite common for the colour of a person's beard to be slightly different than the colour of your regular hair. It sometimes even changes colour over time. Don't worry about it.

I've been wondering about a getting a better shave cream for myself. Right now I just use Dan's cleanser, but I don't like it. It doesn't seem to lubricate well enough. Maybe I'll try that Aveeno stuff.

I completely agree about shaving everyday on the regimen. I'm not on it anymore though so that's why I am now growing a beard. Also, I absolutely recommend the aveeno shave cream to everyone. It is the best there is, especially if you have acne or just sensitive skin in general.

As for the hair growth, always shave with the grain. This reduces irritation and reduces the chance of ingrown hairs. On the right side of your face, shave to the right near the jaw if that is how it growing. And don't worry about the reddish color, that is normal for a lot of guys with brown hair. I have brown hair but my beard grows with a reddish tint as well. I don't know why this happens but lots of my friends have the same thing lol good luck with the regimen.