Notifications
Clear all

Laviv Just Starting Procedure

MemberMember
(@bruin74)

Posted : 09/14/2012 2:55 am

Hey everyone i just started the laviv process for acne scars. Feel free to ask questions

MemberMember
(@wrocky)

Posted : 09/14/2012 8:25 am

Do you have any "before" pics? It would be very beneficial for others also who are looking into acne scar treatments.

MemberMember
(@bruin74)

Posted : 09/15/2012 2:49 pm

That is a good idea, I'll chronicle my experience on here. I'm attaching before and after photos, 1 and 3 are left and ride sides, while 2 and 4 are pulling the skin taut to demonstrate what the scars in theory could look like after filling in. 5 demonstrates what to expect from the biopsy, in 3 months or so I'll start the injections,

bru

post-33772-0-83463900-1347738497_thumb.j

post-33772-0-46911000-1347738503_thumb.j

post-33772-0-39837200-1347738509_thumb.j

post-33772-0-14833100-1347738515_thumb.j

post-33772-0-72462900-1347738520_thumb.j

Wrocky liked
MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 09/15/2012 9:47 pm

interesting. finally more on laviv... how do you know your scars will look like that after injections? did the doctor tell you that? where abouts are you getting this done?

i have same scarring as you and i wonder if laviv will have affect on our kind of scarring.

MemberMember
(@liang3212909)

Posted : 09/16/2012 12:18 pm

Hope to hear your good news!I'm concerned about the treatment for a long time.

MemberMember
(@bruin74)

Posted : 09/16/2012 4:20 pm

Hey there, i went back and forth between getting deepfx or laviv. From my understanding for atrophic boxcar and rolling scars the problem is ere was such a deep loss of tissue during scar formation that collagen never really caught up. Herefore the only real way to really make an impact is to direct injection into the scar. The dont know if the injected fibroblasts will take hold but there is some literature showing they do. Presumably cell cell communication normalizes the tissue such that your cells dont grow out of control after injection. The collagen from your cells is deposited and this gives sustained plumping. In regards to expected results there are some autologous injection of fibroblast papers that demonstrate between 50 and 75 percent improvement however the results varied. I personally think diet has a huge effect, so two weeks prior to the injection im gonna start eating a ton of citrus foods for vitamin c and a ton of other fruits and veggies and lots of protein. Because if you dont have enough nutrients im not sure bulk fibroblasts would do anything, so thats my plan. Ill be more detailed as the time approaches for injections

MemberMember
(@dragz)

Posted : 09/16/2012 4:42 pm

It won't hurt to eat lots of citrus, but it won't really do much because vitamin C exits your system so quickly, and your body can only absorb so much vitamin C every few hours. Vitamin C topicals, however, go straight into the skin and the effected area, so it'll work well. They are, unfortunately, expensive, and they actually go bad very quickly, especially if stored improperly.

Eating tons of protein-rich foods will definitely help.

MemberMember
(@liang3212909)

Posted : 09/17/2012 2:18 am

you are so great,I will always pay attention to you

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 09/18/2012 11:07 am

You're a UCLA Bruin?

Where are you getting the procedure done?

MemberMember
(@bruin74)

Posted : 09/19/2012 12:52 am

Procedure in southern cali

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 09/19/2012 12:58 am

I didn't even really know about this procedure until now. Where in Southern Cali are you getting it done at...who is your doctor?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 09/19/2012 2:53 am

I didn't even really know about this procedure until now. Where in Southern Cali are you getting it done at...who is your doctor?

LaViv is nothing new. In fact, it's been around for over 5 years. There are many people on this forum who were treated with it years ago but they don't really post about it now. It was previously marketed outside the USA under the name Isolagen. Do your research on it if you're seriously considering it. For example, google "Isolagen lawsuit". The old company filed bankruptcy and pulled out of the UK once lawsuits started coming in. Isolagen's clinical trials for acne scar treatment were also rejected by the FDA. They withdrew their own application to the FDA for burn scar treatment after starting clinical trials. I'm not sure why. It was only recently approved in the USA for wrinkles.

I wish the OP the best of luck, and hope it works for you.

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 09/19/2012 3:26 pm

LaViv is nothing new. In fact, it's been around for over 5 years. There are many people on this forum who were treated with it years ago but they don't really post about it now. It was previously marketed outside the USA under the name Isolagen. Do your research on it if you're seriously considering it. For example, google "Isolagen lawsuit". The old company filed bankruptcy and pulled out of the UK once lawsuits started coming in. Isolagen's clinical trials for acne scar treatment were also rejected by the FDA. They withdrew their own application to the FDA for burn scar treatment after starting clinical trials. I'm not sure why. It was only recently approved in the USA for wrinkles.

I was going to say this sounds a lot like Isologen! Thanks for the info.

Something that worries me that I saw in a Laviv video is that the sample behind the ear is sent to Laviv headquarters where your own fibroblasts are grown over the course of 3 months. What worries me about this is quality control. What if they mix up your sample with someone elses? How do they keep track of your sample at every step of the way. How many technician hands does it go through? Are they hiring local college students to work in the labs as interns?

Being injected with someone elses tissue would be horrible. Imagine if rejection occurred...it's not like a massive liver or heart they could just go remove...it's a micro suspension within your skin. It would be impossible to remove and you might need a life time of anti-rejection meds.

I would feel more comfortable if the sample stayed in my sight at the doctors office and didn't need 3 months to cultivate the product.

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 10/28/2012 4:29 pm

Hey everyone i just started the laviv process for acne scars. Feel free to ask questions

any updates?

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 01/11/2013 7:29 pm

If you don't mind, can you please update us on your progress.

MemberMember
(@meg-m)

Posted : 01/11/2013 9:30 pm

I was going to say this sounds a lot like Isologen! Thanks for the info.

Something that worries me that I saw in a Laviv video is that the sample behind the ear is sent to Laviv headquarters where your own fibroblasts are grown over the course of 3 months. What worries me about this is quality control. What if they mix up your sample with someone elses? How do they keep track of your sample at every step of the way. How many technician hands does it go through? Are they hiring local college students to work in the labs as interns?

Being injected with someone elses tissue would be horrible. Imagine if rejection occurred...it's not like a massive liver or heart they could just go remove...it's a micro suspension within your skin. It would be impossible to remove and you might need a life time of anti-rejection meds.

I would feel more comfortable if the sample stayed in my sight at the doctors office and didn't need 3 months to cultivate the product.

I found this amusing; although I realize you were being earnest.

MemberMember
(@bruin74)

Posted : 03/26/2013 7:06 pm

So. I just had the procedure done. It took a very long time for my cells to become available to grow, then be subjected to QC, then finally schedule for appointment. I had my biopsy performed on September 21st, 2012. Procedure done on March 26th, 2013. It apparently took until January 8th to get enough cells, then until February 21st for QC to be finished, then finally setting up an appointment and having the procedure. I'll just dive into the procedure thus far that I experienced.

1. Arrive at the doctor, and have the nurse basically lather you with lidocaine, it's pretty thick jelly, and takes about 30 minutes to fully kick in. I'm learning not to touch your face at all during this period, because if it gets on your lips, your lips are going to be pretty numb for about 1.5 hours or more for me...

2. You sit in a waiting area for the lidocaine to kick in. Next, they take you to the room they perform the injections in. The lidocaine is removed and wiped away with what appears to be water or alcohol, then your skin is subsequently sterilized with what appears to be 10% bleach. Then you wait.

3. Doctor comes in, unveils your 2 mL's of cells that he is about to inject. Your face is pretty numb at this point. He proceeds to perform injections. You can definitely feel the needles though, and some injections are a little more intense than others. After performing the injections it looks like a bunch of bee stings, the technical term is a "wheal", which is just a site injected with a small amount of liquid. Don't freak out too much at this point, it only took about an hour for me for the bumps of liquid to go down and become absorbed I suppose.

4. Upon looking at my face some, two or three areas appears to have some bruising. Swelling appears to play a role as well, keep in mind it's only been about an hour since injections. The main thing still is the lidocaine hasn't appeared to have worn off yet, but maybe in an hour or two it will and the swelling/pain will become much more apparent.

5. I'm attaching images so you can judge for yourself and compare to my first post. We'll see how everything turns out.

Bruin.

post-33772-0-05081800-1364341866_thumb.j

post-33772-0-82696200-1364341881_thumb.j

post-33772-0-22439900-1364341899_thumb.j

post-33772-0-97132900-1364341907_thumb.j

post-33772-0-78042600-1364341916_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@bruin74)

Posted : 03/27/2013 1:17 pm

Attached are pictures from this morning, approximately 16 hours after the procedure. The "wheals" are completely gone, numbness is gone from the lidocaine, and the red spots appear to be disappearing, although the slight bruising is still present. I took a shower last night, keeping in mind to keep soap away from the treatment area, if water did touch my face it only flowed down from the top of my head, with no direct contact. I was instructed to keep the treatment area as non-stressed as possible. In terms of nutrition, I was instructed of nothing in particular, however I think it wise to bulk on vitamins/protein as much as possible, therefore I'm basically taking an Emergen-C vitapack, eating oranges/bananas, almond butter, wheat bread, as well as adding in protein shakes, once a day. I think it would probably be wise to eat animal protein, i.e. rotisserie chicken/steak, etc. I'll probably try that in the new few days, and maintain the above diet as much as possible. Lemons are supposed to minimize redness as well as vitamin E, however I have not tried that yet, and have no reference point to make such claims. I'll add in a few days.

post-33772-0-43039800-1364407956_thumb.j

post-33772-0-43958900-1364407965_thumb.j

post-33772-0-88873800-1364407973_thumb.j

post-33772-0-12004200-1364407981_thumb.j

post-33772-0-04839100-1364407988_thumb.j

MemberMember
(@jnc4now)

Posted : 03/27/2013 3:01 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience. You are helping a lot of people on this forum.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/27/2013 3:37 pm

Looks good. Increase ur intake of zinc to speed up the healing process.

MemberMember
(@anthonytong)

Posted : 03/27/2013 6:37 pm

So. I just had the procedure done. It took a very long time for my cells to become available to grow, then be subjected to QC, then finally schedule for appointment. I had my biopsy performed on September 21st, 2012. Procedure done on March 26th, 2013. It apparently took until January 8th to get enough cells, then until February 21st for QC to be finished, then finally setting up an appointment and having the procedure. I'll just dive into the procedure thus far that I experienced.

1. Arrive at the doctor, and have the nurse basically lather you with lidocaine, it's pretty thick jelly, and takes about 30 minutes to fully kick in. I'm learning not to touch your face at all during this period, because if it gets on your lips, your lips are going to be pretty numb for about 1.5 hours or more for me...

2. You sit in a waiting area for the lidocaine to kick in. Next, they take you to the room they perform the injections in. The lidocaine is removed and wiped away with what appears to be water or alcohol, then your skin is subsequently sterilized with what appears to be 10% bleach. Then you wait.

3. Doctor comes in, unveils your 2 mL's of cells that he is about to inject. Your face is pretty numb at this point. He proceeds to perform injections. You can definitely feel the needles though, and some injections are a little more intense than others. After performing the injections it looks like a bunch of bee stings, the technical term is a "wheal", which is just a site injected with a small amount of liquid. Don't freak out too much at this point, it only took about an hour for me for the bumps of liquid to go down and become absorbed I suppose.

4. Upon looking at my face some, two or three areas appears to have some bruising. Swelling appears to play a role as well, keep in mind it's only been about an hour since injections. The main thing still is the lidocaine hasn't appeared to have worn off yet, but maybe in an hour or two it will and the swelling/pain will become much more apparent.

5. I'm attaching images so you can judge for yourself and compare to my first post. We'll see how everything turns out.

Bruin.

happy to see you back for sharing. If I have money, I will surely consider this one

MemberMember
(@panos)

Posted : 03/27/2013 7:31 pm

Thank you for sharing this.

MemberMember
(@no_hope)

Posted : 03/27/2013 8:33 pm

You rock for updating this thread!!!!! finally some more light shed on laviv. i have very similiar scarring to you and in the exact same area. i wish u best of luck! if this is a success im willing to travel from canada because no one performs it here.

MemberMember
(@datura)

Posted : 03/27/2013 9:50 pm

Thanks for the update. I had a consult with a doctor for Laviv myself. It does take a long time the way he described it. He told me it would take several months for them to culture my cells and everything to go through. I hope you see results.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 03/28/2013 8:48 am

Who is your doctor and where is he/she? Thanks so much!