Notifications
Clear all

Post Accutane Joint Relief?

MemberMember
(@musclegto)

Posted : 09/13/2012 1:23 pm

Hello,

a little background on my treatment. I took a cycle of Accutane starting in the spring of 2011 that lasted for about 6-7 months. I cycled between 40 and 60 mg. Too make a long story short, I went through the inital breakouts, lathargy, joint pains, and eventually my skin cleared. Accutane worked very well for me beside the joint pain.

I am an ameatur mma fighter (martial arts). I was training during my treatment when I hurt my knee. I felt like the healing process took longer than normal because of the dry achy feeling accutane gave me. I still train to compete, however i feel like the medicine has affected my athleticism. Regardless, does anyone have any recomedations to overcome this joint discomfort? I do take some fish oil and cannot take glutamine (allergic to shellfish)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jorge.

MemberMember
(@ajab561)

Posted : 09/14/2012 11:27 am

You're doing the right thing by taking fish oil, but you might not be taking enough. I take 4 grams (4 1000 mg pills, 2 with breakfast, 2 with dinner) every day for my joints and it definitely helps. Make sure you are taking enough and that you are consistent with it.

If your joints are really bothering you, you might try treatment with an NSAID. Naproxen (OTC brand name Aleve) is a good choice because you only have to take it twice a day for 24 hour relief and it is available over the counter. That would decrease the inflammation and pain in your joints. You don't want to live on it though, but you could take it for several weeks if needed while healing or having a particularly bad spell of joint pains.

Hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@musclegto)

Posted : 09/14/2012 12:40 pm

MemberMember
(@musclegto)

Posted : 09/17/2012 9:35 pm

any other remedies? There have to be some athletes on here.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/17/2012 11:38 pm

I wouldn't recommend NSAIDs for a variety of reasons. I'll go into them if you care.

What I would recommend is:

- Getting a deep tissue massage that targets the areas around the joints. Often loosening up the muscles around the joints can do wonders for joint pain.

- Getting a chiropractic adjustment. MIsaligned bones in your back can make joint pain worse, because the alignment of your spine affects how you use the rest of your body.

- Stretching. You probably don't focus a whole lot on this as an MMA fighter, but you can find a lot of relief through regular stretching. Keeping things loose takes the strain off your joints.

I have taken many different supplements for joint and muscle pain and none of them seem to do squat. But doing the manual things above have helped a lot.

MemberMember
(@musclegto)

Posted : 09/25/2012 2:27 am

a chiropractor has been on my to do list. Thanks :)

MemberMember
(@ct1111)

Posted : 10/13/2014 6:02 pm

i am recovering from post accutane problems, i did so by applying tons of grape seed oil (high in linoleic acid) to my upper arms and experienced muscle twitches shortly afterward. since then I've been recovering a little each day, i kid you not, nothing worked for years until i came across this shot in the dark. it took two years for it to come on and it will take two years to go away, I'm hallway through and recovering everyday. good luck to you all

i am recovering from post accutane problems, i did so by applying tons of grape seed oil (high in linoleic acid) to my upper arms and experienced muscle twitches shortly afterward. since then I've been recovering a little each day, i kid you not, nothing worked for years until i came across this shot in the dark. it took two years for it to come on and it will take two years to go away, I'm hallway through and recovering everyday. good luck to you all