Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oakley

Does your skin break out every fall?

Hi everyone, I have been a longtime lurker (year and a half) but this is my first post. I stumbled across this site when i was looking into doing ANYTHING for my face. Despite all the info I have read, and doing my best to eat , drink and be merry, my acne has really changed me.

Just so people know, i am almost 33, will be in November. I would say i have been battling acne of some sort, sometimes mild, sometimes heavy for the last 16 years or so. I must have been a late blommer as a zit farm. Of course , like most of the people here, i suffer from some scarring, most people tell me its not very noticeable, but of course not only do i not believe them, i think its even worse.

I have read other posts where people talk about wanting any other face than there own, wanting to wear a mask, etc etc... I too have gone through this stage of emotions. I have had many suicidal thoughts, but for whatever reason, probably b/c i am too chicken, or the passage of time distracts me, i have not pulled the proverbial trigger.

I have a hard time NOT picking at active acne, especially whiteheads/blackheads which i find ultimately embarassing, especially while at work. It seems as if only a handfull of people have any sort of skin conditions at my work and i work in an office of like 600 people. I know i am sensitive to how i look and how others look at me , but i can't help but feel like a freak.

Every spring and fall, as the weather changes from HOT to COLD or the other way around i get a breakout that is usually much worse than the previous days/weeks. This particular time my breakout has been just downright nasty. I am getting acne in places i RARELY every got it before, and they seem to be huge red dots. I am going nuts.

The whole process of acne is debilitating. From the initial stress cause by the breakout to the fear of of waking up to another scar. I am so afraid to take pictures, be anywhere near flaurescent liting, or look into a mirror. Sometimes i fear the sun and any other bright lights. I don't seem to have much of a problem attracting good looking girls when it comes to dating, but i live in a constant fear that one day my girlfriend(s) will wake up, look at my face and leave me. I am aprehensive meeting new people, for the fear that they will judge me based solely on my skins appearance

I have talked to a shrink, and he taught me how not to let trigger points affect my mood, some days i am successful with this, other days not. I have not really followed too many regimens as far as treating acne. Way back in the day as a teenage i used tetracycline, and some sort of PB stuff, which didn't seem to have much effect. I try to maintain a clean face, and i eat very healthy and exercise continuously. I think it is time to see a Derm, and try to clean up my face once and for all.

It all seems too late sad.gif On my days off (like today) i won't leave the house if i have had a particularly bad breakout (like today) and when i shave, it just kills me.

I have to stop writing and take a break, and read some more info..... thanks for listening, and i hope to contribute more in the near future.

Guest brokencocoon

Yes! evil.gif

I've been freaking out that the weather change is the god damn culprit of one of the worst breakout I've had in YEARS. I'm freaking out because I don't get it! It's unusual the type of breakout I'm in the middle of, and it's lasted for a couple weeks now. VERY frustrating. Usually I'll get a hormonal related breakout monthly w/ PMS or whatever, and I'll clear up in a few days to a week...

But this has been CRAZY. I've got redness and bumps in places I never have problems with, and it's fucking persistant.

I always notice some difference in my skin when the weather changes, either a little more oily, or more dry and flaky, but this has been really bad. I'm scared actually.

This is a great place to come to...

I've often wondered why I never see people out in the world who have skin problems like me, now I know I'm not alone, so why don't I ever anyone with troubled skin??? Are we all hiding?! I can barely believe that with some of the amazing, positive attitudes I've heard on this board.

Hey Oakley, as soon as i read your post-title i had to reply. I started to get heavy cystic acne when i was 16, just turning 17, and it started in the autumn time when the wheather changed from hot to cold. Yep, i think i was once told that the sunlight our eyes and skin absorb makes us produce hormones, and it is well known that hormonal changes can trigger acne breakouts. I really would advise you to at least try dan's regimen, full on, and see if it makes any sort of difference. You can still visit the derm, and hopefully get a plan of action together. As far as i can see, if u can get pretty girls then they obviously dont see your skin as a problem. I wonder if you feel the same about girls who have outbreaks?

Anyway, always glad to have someone contribute, in anyway as long as its positive :-D And i really do wish u all the luck in the world finding a solution

stay clear

Hey brokencocoon, dont be too scared, we're with you. I got back from the states this summer and, like every year for the past 3 i have gotten stubborn and strange outbreaks (even on the regimen) that have persisted for months. Nov/dec time is usually my worst. I had severe cystic acne twice for those months in 02 and 03 and i got some outbreaks now in 04 but ive nuked them with extra bp. Remember, we're in this together. We will beat it.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replys, i too think this board is great for the emotional support. I have often wondered why i don't see many people with bad scarring/acne out on the streets either??? We must all be hiding.

I know acne scarring is no different than being obese, or missing a limb in the sense that for the most part its out of your control. But i truly feel like a phreak sad.gif

The worst thing is i always feel people are afraid to look at my face, or look me in the eye, of course i assume its because i am so hideous.

sigh, people with normal skin, just dont realize how rough this is...... the acne i could live with, IF it wouldn't leave a potential scar.

signing off again..... i swear, some days i feel like the elephant man

Guest brokencocoon

MATTOB- Grrrrrr...yeah eusa_clap.gif kick ass! I'm not scared, I'm gonna kick acne's ass!!

All the information around here is mind boggling though...what weapon to add to a girl's arsenal for God's sake?! My skin is so sensitive even the thought of a medication makes me itch, dammit.

I'd like to try the regimen, but BP makes me all red and itchy....and I'm almost obsessive about using natural products on any part of me. All those chemicals and preservatives give me the heebie jeebies eusa_hand.gif.

Hi Oakley,

I just read your post and had to answer. Currently I've just had the worst breakout in hell as well and I really don't know what it could be that's triggered it off. My skin does usually get worse when it's colder in Winter. But now not only do I have spots in places where I don't usually breakout (such as on my cheeks) but I also have really dry, itchy, red, flaky skin on top of it all!

My skin's a mess and I'm on a low dose Accutane which was going really well until a week ago...

I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to leave the house. I haven't left the house for the past few days and my breakout just seems to be getting worse and worse. I keep telling myself that it's stupid to let something like this control my life and make me feel so despairing (there are alot worse things that happen to people everyday), I should just have a to-hell-with-it attitude, but I just can't at the moment.

I don't know why I breakout when there's a seasonal change. Maybe it's the lack of sunlight in Autumn/Winter...It's horrible though and I can totally empathise

Hi Oakley,

I just read your post and had to answer. Currently I've just had the worst breakout in hell as well and I really don't know what it could be that's triggered it off. My skin does usually get worse when it's colder in Winter. But now not only do I have spots in places where I don't usually breakout (such as on my cheeks) but I also have really dry, itchy, red, flaky skin on top of it all!

My skin's a mess and I'm on a low dose Accutane which was going really well until a week ago...

I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to leave the house. I haven't left the house for the past few days and my breakout just seems to be getting worse and worse. I keep telling myself that it's stupid to let something like this control my life and make me feel so despairing (there are alot worse things that happen to people everyday), I should just have a to-hell-with-it attitude, but I just can't at the moment.

I don't know why I breakout when there's a seasonal change. Maybe it's the lack of sunlight in Autumn/Winter...It's horrible though and I can totally empathise

actually, i notice my skin gets 100x better during fall/winter, maybe its because i have such oily skin? and sweating is just a multiplier ontop.