Notifications
Clear all

Just Need Someone To Talk To...

MemberMember
(@lcordun)

Posted : 09/12/2012 11:38 pm

Hi there, and thanks for reading. I've been a longtime lurker, but this is my first post. I really believed I was past this, and I thought if my skin was better, the picking would be as well. Anyway, it's been getting worse everyday over the last few weeks even though my acne isn't really a problem anymore. I just feel like I'm going crazy and am trapped in this cycle. I don't know what to do, and I feel like I've tried everything. I don't have anyone to talk to about this and would really appreciate someone to chat with. I'm a 22-year-old male by the way. I'm just exhausted by this. I used to cry almost everyday but I even stopped doing that. Tired is the best way to describe it. I feel like I'm losing my fight. I've been picking since I was 13 and struggle with OCD and body issues as well. I'm at a relatively good place in my life now but can't seem to shake this. It kills my confidence and holds me back from so much. I am very thankful for any help I can get. Thank you everyone for your support.

MemberMember
(@dillon-s)

Posted : 09/13/2012 12:14 am

Have you tried the regimen? That seems to have worked the best for me and I've been on numerous medications in the past including Accutane... Don't let acne control your life dude, I let it control mine and that's one of the worst mistakes I've ever made. Just vent and talk about how you feel with us, we won't judge you. We all go through the same things and we're here to help and support. Check out my log if you want to see proof the regimen is working for me: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/318735-dillons-log/

MemberMember
(@lcordun)

Posted : 09/13/2012 12:45 am

Thanks very much for the replies. Wonderful improvement by the way, Dillion. Well, I started picking at my skin when my acne was much worse but it's basically cleared up now. I just get a few spots every now and then, but I'm still picking. I make huge scabs from nothing. I just have a lot of stress, and picking seems to be the only way to relieve it, at least in the moment. I already run everyday, sometimes twice because I get so stressed. I was able to stop picking for about 6 months after last Christmas, but I replaced it with going out and drinking almost everyday just to distract myself. I stopped drinking and going out over a month ago but now the picking has come back. It seems like nothing that is healthy or positive or in moderation is able to distract me from picking. I need something to replace it with but nothing is as obsessive and consuming. I also saw a therapist for about six months as well but made no progress. It's nice to talk about at the very least. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

MemberMember
(@olivegreen)

Posted : 09/14/2012 2:58 pm

Hi! I know what it's like to have no one to talk to about this. I'm 31 and have dealt with picking since I was probably 16 and have, up until about a month ago, never told anyone. I just started researching my "problem" and am finding a lot of solace in these message boards. I agree with sasound23 however that speaking with someone in person is best. For me, I'm still trying to figure out how to express my feelings in person, so that's a tough one for me too. It sounds to me like you are the type of person who needs something to fill in the empty space (take that as you will) and have ended up with negative behaviors! I've found comfort in massaging my hands and thinking positive. Good luck, don't forget the biggest lesson I've learned so far--you are not alone and people will help you if you ask.

MemberMember
(@ilovemesomevanity)

Posted : 09/17/2012 3:39 pm

same! i though i would pick way less as my skin cleared up, but now i just pick the small ones that i wouldnt have touched back when my skin was worse. so its basically the same T_T

MemberMember
(@deesygirl)

Posted : 10/01/2012 2:22 pm

ITs a relief to find people who have the same problem

I just posted a topic about this as well as i need solutions

I know how you feel! I stopped picking for a good while, i was very happy with myslef and my skin and i felt beautiful. due to stress in the family i fell into the cycle again and it is horrible, one tiny bump and i can't stop thinking about it, i know that scratching makes it worse and you cause more damage and make more pop up but i cannot control myself. I used to have nightmares about it and now i'm living it! I just want to hide away most days and i dont know how to stop, i tell myself its the last time but my willpower this time around is pathetic.

i need help and nobody understands how hard it is! I'm also 21 now and similar to your story it started when i was very young. I just dont knwo what to do anymore... I'm so sad about it

MemberMember
(@lifegoeson-2)

Posted : 10/01/2012 9:27 pm

i pick tooo. so fucking bad it is killing me. i know reason why face looks so bad is because of picking. im even aware of it while i am picking. i feel so hopeless in myself. i have no idea why i am like this. if i know the source of my unhappiness and i know picking is making me depressed...why cant i just fucking stop. i feel weak and pathetic. i am going to try a 2 day challenge to not touch my face unless i am applying the regimen. and when i feel like picking i am going to write on here to hope it will stop

MemberMember
(@bellinabox)

Posted : 10/02/2012 12:56 am

Hey.

So until tonight, I had NO idea other people struggled with this. I've picked since I was 13 or 14, I think, and now I'm about to turn 20. It's progressed to my face, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, entire back, and legs. It used to be that I would spend up to three hours in a locked bathroom. I stopped for about a two month period this summer after a friend made me promise, but it didn't last for long after school started. For those two months I felt beautiful and normal, and for the first time since I became a teenager, I was not afraid to buy nice clothes that showed my back. I am so disappointed that I am back in the habit again, and I say "Okay, i'm going to stop right NOW" on a daily basis, but it doesn't work.

I didn't understand how picking could make me depressed, or extremely shameful. I am so ashamed and frustrated with myself that I would rather not be conscious a lot of the time. I feel like I have messed myself up beyond repair, because I do not think that my skin is actually that bad - if I didn't pick, I think I would have a normal amount of teenage acne. I just thought I had some wierd, unnatural mental disorder, and that picking was kind of like a form of cutting. I empathize with everyone on here, and I feel like I'm in a constant state of anxiety and stress - even when I don't have an enormous amount of schoolwork to do, I am still stressed because I am disgusted with myself, which makes me angry, nervous, and depressed. I intentionally placed myself in CA for school because there is so much sun (this is not the only reason, of course), and I wanted to combat my depression. But the picking has continued, and they seem to have a dependent relationship. I think that if I could stop, if I could get out of this vicious circle of stress, pick, shame leads to more stress, leads to picking, ect, that I could alleviate some depression and actually be productive and passionate and happy.

I am so shocked that so many people deal with this. Please do not be afraid to talk or be honest, goodness knows I could use someone to talk to.

Help.