Notifications
Clear all

I Do Everything Right...

MemberMember
(@okate)

Posted : 09/12/2012 4:39 pm

And I still have acne. I've been vegan for 5 years and gluten-free for 2 years. I stay away from processed foods. I tried cutting out all sugar for 5 months and still had acne. I tried a mostly raw diet for a few months, and that didn't help either. I take vitamins, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep.

But I still have moderate acne. Sometimes I'll stop breaking out for a couple of weeks, but it always comes back. There doesn't seem to be a link between what I eat and my acne.

So does what you eat even make a difference? It doesn't seem to for me. I'm so frustrated that I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and not seeing results, while my friends can stuff their faces with potato chips and cookies and anything they want and not have to worry about it. I've thought about trying to cut out soy but can't imagine being vegan, gluten-free, and soy free. I wouldn't know where to start with a completely raw diet either. I've tried both products and doing nothing but rinsing my face with water.

I don't get it. So many people say that once they cut out dairy/gluten/whatever, their acne stopped. Why do I still have it?

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 09/12/2012 5:20 pm

It's either something internal, or you need a better skin care regimen with exfoliating and what not

MemberMember
(@pugrocker)

Posted : 09/12/2012 5:26 pm

As weird as it sounds, eating gummi bears are keeping my skin clear? Its probably not the gummi bears, just probably having a good run of luck in the skin department and I hope that run of good luck stays forever!saywhat.gifteehee.gifgrinwink.gifcrazy.gifshifty.gif

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/12/2012 5:40 pm

And I still have acne. I've been vegan for 5 years and gluten-free for 2 years. I stay away from processed foods. I tried cutting out all sugar for 5 months and still had acne. I tried a mostly raw diet for a few months, and that didn't help either. I take vitamins, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep.

But I still have moderate acne. Sometimes I'll stop breaking out for a couple of weeks, but it always comes back. There doesn't seem to be a link between what I eat and my acne.

So does what you eat even make a difference? It doesn't seem to for me. I'm so frustrated that I'm doing everything I'm supposed to and not seeing results, while my friends can stuff their faces with potato chips and cookies and anything they want and not have to worry about it. I've thought about trying to cut out soy but can't imagine being vegan, gluten-free, and soy free. I wouldn't know where to start with a completely raw diet either. I've tried both products and doing nothing but rinsing my face with water.

I don't get it. So many people say that once they cut out dairy/gluten/whatever, their acne stopped. Why do I still have it?

Okate, i feel your frustration. I eat right, exercise, take supplements, have tried natural skin care as well as chemicals and guess what, acne is worse than ever.

Sometimes a few of us have such resilient acne that cannot be simply stopped by diet as many would like us to believe (though it is important to have a good diet regardless). I would recommend not to cut out anything else - i have lost 20lns from all this nonsense and i feel terrible. Maybe you should start looking into hormonal stuff that needs to be addressed wth meds or supplements. If you need to talk, vent, whatever, PM me

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 09/12/2012 5:46 pm

I hear ya. I have tried the whole diet experiment over the years. Besides depriving myself of foods that I love, I have seen no results at all and now live in fear of eating things that could break me out. Have you looked into spiro? A lot of women have success with that.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 09/12/2012 6:22 pm

describe you typical daily diet

MemberMember
(@peony7)

Posted : 09/12/2012 6:36 pm

I think some people who have been successful on here would probably say that being a vegan doesn't help. When I am gluten and sugar free but eating meat, fish and eggs along with fruit and veg, spices, nuts, herbs my inflamed acne goes away. Just the non-inflamed 'bumps' and oil I cannot shift.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 09/12/2012 6:42 pm

Maybe what you're eating wasn't the cause of your acne? Maybe you should try something else, like acne topical acne treatments? You could try talking to your derm, but of course you can ask the good people of acne.org too.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/12/2012 7:34 pm

I would try taking omega 3 capsules. Get some that have lots of EPA & DHA per capsule - you get what you pay for. GNC makes a triple power fish oil that's very potent.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 09/12/2012 7:55 pm

I would try taking omega 3 capsules. Get some that have lots of EPA & DHA per capsule - you get what you pay for. GNC makes a triple power fish oil that's very potent.

It's so potent that it's probably dangerous. I tried the whole supplement route and don't think your body really absorbs them like we think they do and can actually do harm if in toxic amounts (which most vitamins are disgustingly enough).

Get all the vitamins you need from your foods. Being a vegan seems very difficult and is probably making it harder to clear your acne because of how many vitamins you're lacking (and yes you may have a WONDERFUL diet but you have to be deficient in something being a vegan).

You could definitely have a hormonal imbalance and taking something like spiro may work for you. Or some people have said Candex works to get rid of harmful candida fungus in your body that most people are unaware of.

I do believe in healing acne from the inside out you just don't know what kind of food allergies or intolerances you may have until you test it.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/12/2012 8:02 pm

It's so potent that it's probably dangerous. I tried the whole supplement route and don't think your body really absorbs them like we think they do and can actually do harm if in toxic amounts (which most vitamins are disgustingly enough).

Get all the vitamins you need from your foods. Being a vegan seems very difficult and is probably making it harder to clear your acne because of how many vitamins you're lacking (and yes you may have a WONDERFUL diet but you have to be deficient in something being a vegan).

You could definitely have a hormonal imbalance and taking something like spiro may work for you. Or some people have said Candex works to get rid of harmful candida fungus in your body that most people are unaware of.

I do believe in healing acne from the inside out you just don't know what kind of food allergies or intolerances you may have until you test it.

Fish oil capsules are not dangerous. Men aren't prescribed spiro, so I'm taking saw palmetto. I've tried candex and it didn't help. I've been tested for food intolerances.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 09/12/2012 8:27 pm

I was tested by my gastroenterologist for that Celiac thing and he said it came up negative and that was a blood test. That happens all the time but your body can still be intolerant. Not all tests are absolute. He told me to stop eating gluten because no doctor knows for sure what foods your body can tolerate and those which it cannot. An unconditional elimination diet is the only real way to test it.

I'm not saying fish oil is dangerous but I also don't think we should rely on any one, two, hell how many ever vitamins you think it takes to help you.

Men can be prescribed low doses of spiro but doesn't tend to help in males.

I wish everyone luck and clear skin but of course everyone is different. But acne isn't just a skin problem, it can be an immune, intestinal, hormonal, or some sort of other internal problem which I'm sure/hope most of us acne.orgers already know.

Again good luck and I hope you find what works for you. :)

MemberMember
(@okate)

Posted : 09/12/2012 9:45 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm a vegan primarily for ethical reasons, so I won't quit that. Fish oil is out because of that too, but I do eat flaxseed every day. And I take a multivitamin daily, so I don't think I'm deficient in anything.

I definitely feel that my acne is hormonal as I have a lot of other symptoms of hormonal imbalance/PCOS too, but my doctor (who's an a**hole) didn't take me seriously when I mentioned it and wouldn't check my hormone levels. I think I'll go to the student health center tomorrow though and see if they can do anything for me. I've heard mixed things about spiro, some people say it works great and others say it made their acne worse.

It's just frustrating. I'm thinking about going for a completely raw diet too but I'll wait a couple weeks to use up all the food I already have. I started using BP again, so hopefully I'll see some results from that.

Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/13/2012 6:50 am

Well, 1) you aren't 'supposed' to be vegan. And 2) you need to try cutting out soy. It's about as damaging as gluten, it's very common to be allergic and it's estrogenic which can help some people but it makes a lot of people worse. A lot worse.

You aren't doing everything right if you are eating soy. And in what format are you eating it? Soy-based faux foods? If so, you are eating processed food.

what are you doing for fats?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/13/2012 9:52 am

Soy is absolutely horrible for you. You really can't expect any kind of health when you're ingesting that stuff.

I think you should consider not being a vegan. I'm sorry, I do respect where you are coming from (I was vegetarian for years) and if you were in perfect health I'd say go ahead and rock it as a vegan. But you're suffering. I don't think it's right to force an unnatural diet on yourself and make yourself suffer in the name of ethics or animal rights. The choice is yours, but I didn't experience any real healing until I gave up on vegetarianism and began eating some good quality protein. It's so important for healing.

If you want to stay a vegan, I'd look into the 30 banana a day diet, or some other form of veganism that doesn't involve soy or processed foods. I'm still iffy about veganism but I will say that the healthiest looking, long-term vegans I've seen are the 100% raw kind.

Also, the smallest things in diet can make a HUGE difference, even if you think you are eating healthy. I just recently had to cut out sweet potatoes and am seeing massive improvements. I'm talking majorly bad, painful, extremely inflamed cystic acne lesions all over my face to almost completely clear, smooth skin within 2 WEEKS!

Are sweet potatoes unhealthy in general? No, they aren't, and that's why I was resistant to giving them up for so long. But in my particular case, they are unhealthy because I have leaky gut and candida issues and unfortunately, the sweet potatoes were just feeding candida overgrowth.

I'm not saying to not eat sweet potatoes, I'm just saying, there's a good chance there is something in your diet that is bothering your body, especially if you're a soy-eating vegan.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 09/13/2012 10:22 am

Mind-body connection.

Most of us on this forum seem to be very intelligent people. However, all of our brain capacity seems to be wasted on worrying about our skin. The times when your face seems clear, I bet you feel happier and more care free, and focus less on your skin. Modern thought would have you believe that's because it looks better. I propose that it looks better because you feel that way.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/13/2012 12:06 pm

Have you taken a high-potency probiotic with 50 billion or more a day for at least a few months? Many people can have a clear face with a less than perfect diet because they have the right gut flora to handle the "bad" foods.

I think of it like this: if you're lily white, you'll sunburn really fast. You have some dark skinned friends who go out in the sun and don't burn. Now, maybe you can live your whole life holed up in your house or always be the one sitting under the tree sweating in long sleeves, but that doesn't sound like a very full life. So instead of holing away, you decide to apply some sunblock and go out with your friends.

Probiotics are your diet sunblock. Obviously your gut isn't functioning as well as your friends that stuff themselves with potato chips, so you need to take some extra steps. I'm not suggesting you then switch to a horrible diet, but probiotics should shield you from minor triggers.

MemberMember
(@okate)

Posted : 09/13/2012 2:44 pm

Well, 1) you aren't 'supposed' to be vegan. And 2) you need to try cutting out soy. It's about as damaging as gluten, it's very common to be allergic and it's estrogenic which can help some people but it makes a lot of people worse. A lot worse.

You aren't doing everything right if you are eating soy. And in what format are you eating it? Soy-based faux foods? If so, you are eating processed food.

Pretty much the only soy I eat is tofu and edamame. I stay away from processed foods except on rare occasions. For fat, I eat nuts and use olive oil in cooking.

Soy is absolutely horrible for you. You really can't expect any kind of health when you're ingesting that stuff.

I think you should consider not being a vegan. I'm sorry, I do respect where you are coming from (I was vegetarian for years) and if you were in perfect health I'd say go ahead and rock it as a vegan. But you're suffering. I don't think it's right to force an unnatural diet on yourself and make yourself suffer in the name of ethics or animal rights. The choice is yours, but I didn't experience any real healing until I gave up on vegetarianism and began eating some good quality protein. It's so important for healing.

If you want to stay a vegan, I'd look into the 30 banana a day diet, or some other form of veganism that doesn't involve soy or processed foods. I'm still iffy about veganism but I will say that the healthiest looking, long-term vegans I've seen are the 100% raw kind.

Also, the smallest things in diet can make a HUGE difference, even if you think you are eating healthy. I just recently had to cut out sweet potatoes and am seeing massive improvements. I'm talking majorly bad, painful, extremely inflamed cystic acne lesions all over my face to almost completely clear, smooth skin within 2 WEEKS!

Are sweet potatoes unhealthy in general? No, they aren't, and that's why I was resistant to giving them up for so long. But in my particular case, they are unhealthy because I have leaky gut and candida issues and unfortunately, the sweet potatoes were just feeding candida overgrowth.

I'm not saying to not eat sweet potatoes, I'm just saying, there's a good chance there is something in your diet that is bothering your body, especially if you're a soy-eating vegan.

I'm not a vegan for health reasons, I'm vegan for ethical reasons, so I won't stop that. I am healthy, and I'm not "suffering" - the only problem I have is acne. I get plenty of protein, I take vitamins, I'm a healthy weight, and I don't have any other health problems except some symptoms of hormone imbalance, which I'll get checked out. But yes, I will cut out soy and try probiotics.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/13/2012 3:22 pm

Pretty much the only soy I eat is tofu and edamame. I stay away from processed foods except on rare occasions. For fat, I eat nuts and use olive oil in cooking.

I'm not a vegan for health reasons, I'm vegan for ethical reasons, so I won't stop that. I am healthy, and I'm not "suffering" - the only problem I have is acne. I get plenty of protein, I take vitamins, I'm a healthy weight, and I don't have any other health problems except some symptoms of hormone imbalance, which I'll get checked out. But yes, I will cut out soy and try probiotics.

Only you know if you are suffering, so the choice is yours how far you will go to stop it. I definitely consider acne to be suffering, but my skin condition was very painful and perhaps yours is not so bad and you won't have to go to such extreme lengths to stop it. Good luck! I'm going to try probiotics again too. :)

MemberMember
(@fjshadowz)

Posted : 10/23/2012 8:02 pm

what about cod liver oil ? my cod liver oil contains soy on its ingredients is it bad for acne ?

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/24/2012 3:20 am

May be your acne isn't diet related. It could be genetic or some other factor is involved, Something as silly as the soap you use could be the trigger.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 10/24/2012 9:30 am

Since you've had such a restricted diet for a long time, you may suffer from nutritional deficiencies (synthetic vitamin supplements can only take you so far, unfortunately). Maybe you could add a good natural source of protein and B12 vitamin and see if that helps? (Basically I'm talking about ethically produced eggs, if you could consider adding them to your diet). I agree with alternavista about cutting out soy, it can be just as problematic as gluten (that includes tofu). You could also pay special attention to your omega3:6 fatty acid ratio, since it could be contributing to inflammation and you don't tend to get much omega 3 if vegetarian. Try to avoid oils that have a high omega 6 content, such as sunflower oil, corn oil, rape seed oil, nuts etc and use coconut oil, olive oil or butter instead. Supplementing with omega 3 isn't necessary, if you're careful enough with omega 6.

Anyway, I'm trying to heal my acne through lifestyle as well, and while diet changes and proper sleep have improved my skin and cooled down inflammation, they haven't been able to resolve my non-inflammational acne thus far. So I'm still in the quest for curing acne, as well. On the plus side, my hair is in great condition and I seem to able to eat as much as I want and still stay in nice shape.

MemberMember
(@lola111)

Posted : 10/24/2012 11:31 am

I just want to add to what everyone else said that your diet is far from perfect. Being vegan is of course your choice, but consider that a non-inflammatory diet can't really be vegan. We need a lot of nutrients for our health which unfortunately we can't take from a plant based diet. I was a vegetarian for many years and I had the worst possible diet for my skin and overall health. If I were you I would also look into the blood type diet and see which foods cause you more problems. Also, soy is probably the worst food on the market, and most of it is probably GMO anyway. Also, it has so many anti-nutrients that it makes gluten seem like nothing.

The second thing I would like to point out is that most supplements have very low bio-availability. The fact that you take all your vitamins in a supplement means almost zero. You absorb around 5-10 percent at most from these supplements. My suggestion would be to look into colloidal minerals as an alternative.

I also highly recommend the fish oils but only if they are good quality ones. Don't just buy any cod liver oil because most of them have an improper ration of vitamin A to D.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 10/24/2012 11:54 am

I don't know why people assume diet is the only possible trigger for acne. It's not. Diet has absolutely zero impact on my acne for good or for bad. I cleared myself through an entirely different method.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 10/24/2012 12:29 pm

I don't know why people assume diet is the only possible trigger for acne. It's not. Diet has absolutely zero impact on my acne for good or for bad. I cleared myself through an entirely different method.

What worked for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else. There so many triggers out there.

I found a while ago that i am very sensitive to carbohydrates and gluten. Gluten has been eliminated from my diet and my carb in take makes up about 20% of my nutrition. As i result i feel great and my skin improved. Didn't cure it but it improved a lot.

Everyone has a unique biochemistry.