Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sarah25

Covering Up Moderate Acne/redness? I've Tried Everything...

I have mild to moderate hormonal acne that has been a problem for me since I turned 20. I'm now 22 and have been dealing with the stupid acne cycle of clear skin and breakouts for 2 years.

In July I started breaking out after about a year of having clear skin. I was so upset. So, I'm about a month into my latest treatment, which is Yaz, Epiduo topical gel, and minocycline. I'm probably going to stop my minocycline because I'm pretty sure my body isn't accepting it this time. I was on it a year ago and it completely cleared me up, but since being back on it it hasn't done anything.

Anyway, because I've just started on Yaz and Epiduo, my skin is currently purging like crazy. I hate it and its really, really disheartening but I'm trying to stick it out. On each cheek (problem areas) I have about 5 big papules or bumps, and the rest is literally smooth skin but SO blotchy and red because of the cream and the scarring. When I have my makeup off, it looks like I have a bunch of pimples all over but the skin is smooth. So frustrating.

When I put on makeup, which I refuse to go into public without when I'm breaking out, lately its been making me feel worse. I try the green colour correcting concealers, I use Cover FX foundation which is supposed to be really good for acne sufferers, and the Cover FX powder. What I'm left with are splotchy, gray/purple looking cheeks. It looks dirty and disgusting, and I don't even have THAT much makeup on my acne.

I know that the redness is something that comes along with getting rid of acne, but it's really bothering me. Does anyone have any tips ?

I find that you cant just apply a foundation and expect even cover, since you are covering over often very different shades underneath (some very red, some not so much) which could be causing the blotchyness?

I use a lighter concealer and mix it into my foundation to get different shades to cancel out the blotchyness. I use the clinique blemish concealer, and even though it isnt green I think it must have green undertones as it sees to do a good job with redness. Perhaps you could try a similar technique?

I can really empathize with what you're going through because it's extremely frustrating to try and cover up pimples without looking like you've caked cover up on. What I do is after I take my make up off at night, I use aloe vera gel (comes in a pump, and its green!) which helps with redness and irritation (with acne scars as well as current redness with acne) and then I spot-check with polysporin, dabbing pimples with it and scars, because it GREATLY reduces swelling, redness, and irritation.

In the morning, when trying to cover the pimples up, if they are really red I use the green color corrector stick that you mentioned (I get mine from shoppers, it's a purple stick that also contains salicylic acid that helps pimples) and then just use a mineral powder over top, that way they aren't a hardened white bump that looks more obvious.

Remember, they will go away, so what I always do to help me is give myself an end date, like Okay, it'll look much better next Thursday, and then until then I just give myself a break and try and not think about it.

Hope that helps!

My acne is hormonal and pretty severe, but I feel comfortable when I cover it up.

I use:

#1: Apply Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation on my entire face, using my fingers (http://www.drugstore...6&aparam=138299)

#2: MAC studio finish concealer to cover up active pimples & scars using a concealer brush (http://www.maccosmet...aler/index.tmpl)

#3: Cover Girl Fresh Complexion Pocket Powder Oil Control Foundation (http://www.buymebeau...Foundation.HTML)

The Cover Girl powder is what I use to fix up my makeup during the day. It takes away the shine that occurs after hours of not fixing the makeup, and I find it works for up to 12 or so hours.

#4: Esetee Lauder bronze goddess bronzer (http://www.esteelaud...nzer/index.tmpl). I use it typically a bit on my neck, as well as cheeks. But I have a very fair complexion, so that may not be for everyone.

I also have MAC Studio Fix powder that I use sometimes, mainly when my acne is typically severe. (http://www.maccosmet...tion/index.tmpl). I will apply it over my face after step #3 of the cover girl powder for extra coverage. But typically, I do not fix up multiple times a day with this powder, because it causes caking, whereas the Cover girl one is really the only powder I've ever come across where reapplying does NOT cause caking.

Sometimes, just the spot treatment with the MAC concealer, one layer of cover girl powder, then one layer of studio fix powder is enough, and I can forego the Maybelline Matte Mousse ... But it depends on the severity.

Hope this helps. I have pretty bad acne, but few people know. Even my dermatologist was SHOCKED the first time she saw me take off my makeup. She said I was the best at covering acne and she's never seen anyone do it better.

I have very red irriatated skin, but am highly opposed to using color correctors like what you're trying. At least in my experience, they don't work and just make me look worse. You are better off with the MAC concealer that matches your skin color.

Edited by CW3

I use Bare Minerals, there's nothing else like it. No cakiness whatsoever and it completely covers discolorations. I don't like to put makeup all over my face so instead I just spot treat any redness with the Bare Minerals. The key is to use a very, very light hand. I know it's kinda pricey for some people but it is beyond worth it. It lasts forever and the coverage is flawless! Also you should check out some full coverage acne foundation routine vids on youtube. They can be really helpful when you're feeling alone in this!

I have mild to moderate hormonal acne that has been a problem for me since I turned 20. I'm now 22 and have been dealing with the stupid acne cycle of clear skin and breakouts for 2 years.

In July I started breaking out after about a year of having clear skin. I was so upset. So, I'm about a month into my latest treatment, which is Yaz, Epiduo topical gel, and minocycline. I'm probably going to stop my minocycline because I'm pretty sure my body isn't accepting it this time. I was on it a year ago and it completely cleared me up, but since being back on it it hasn't done anything.

Anyway, because I've just started on Yaz and Epiduo, my skin is currently purging like crazy. I hate it and its really, really disheartening but I'm trying to stick it out. On each cheek (problem areas) I have about 5 big papules or bumps, and the rest is literally smooth skin but SO blotchy and red because of the cream and the scarring. When I have my makeup off, it looks like I have a bunch of pimples all over but the skin is smooth. So frustrating.

When I put on makeup, which I refuse to go into public without when I'm breaking out, lately its been making me feel worse. I try the green colour correcting concealers, I use Cover FX foundation which is supposed to be really good for acne sufferers, and the Cover FX powder. What I'm left with are splotchy, gray/purple looking cheeks. It looks dirty and disgusting, and I don't even have THAT much makeup on my acne.

I know that the redness is something that comes along with getting rid of acne, but it's really bothering me. Does anyone have any tips ?

Edited by msleggett

Like CW3 I use MAC as well. My acne can range from non-exsistant to moderate depending on if I have unnowingly been eating a food containing one of my triggers. I use the studio finish concealer by MAC (dosen't have a green tint but gives amazing coverage with a very little amount) and then I wear studio fix powder overtop. The powder is really buildable so on areas of good skin I barely use any and for my spots I use extra to cover them up. I use it with the sponge it comes with but you can also lighly dust it over with a brush if you wanted to wear even less makeup.

My boyfriend is amazed seeing me without makeup and then seeing me with it on, you literally can't see any spots or redness (and I always have dark red spots because I have issues with picking and popping pimples too early). It's harder covering up an actual bump because like an above poster said too much makeup only draws attention to it. With these big bumps I use concelar and then just dust the powder overtop. Stuido fix is a miracle, I honestly don't know how I would live without it. It is expensive but even using lot's it lasts forever. The powder and concealer also never cause breakouts in most people but steer clear of the liquid foundation because I have heard bad things. Hope this helped a bit!