Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys,

I hope that your battle hasn't been a tough one like mine, but like they say, nothing is impossible in life, even to cure acne, there is always something out there. Perserverence is the key.

I always end up reading peoples'view etc here, but this time round, I thought I'd join and write something, my acne story.

Before we start, just a few basics, I'm a lacto vegetarian since birth, dont smoke or consume any alcohol or toxic substances. I exercise at least 6 hours a week. Dont really do junk food and would say I've a healthy diet.

My skin type has always been oily to very oily.

My acne started back when I started Uni, age of 19. Before that, I had perfect smooth clear skin, rarely a blemish would show to the surface.

At the age of 19/20, only God know's what happened. I had a massive breakout. The spots were something else, couldnt sqeeze them, just like lumps on my face. I started with topical ointments recommended by the GP, these included benzyl peroxide, zineryt, azelaic acid from what i remember but nothing was clearing my skin up. Rather than the surface issue, I thought maybe things should be sorted/cleaned up from within, so oral was next on the list.

Oral antibiotics such as tetracycline, erythromycin, lymecycline, trimethoprim were all tried out for a few months individually, but nothing worked. My face pretty much looked like a road map. My confidence and self esteem were so low, I hated going out socially. Not only were they on my face, but zillions on my upper back too. I was disgusted.

What didn't help was that I had a habit of picking the spot, something which my father always said, if you dont take out the seed/root of the spot, it will not get better. To this day, I agree with him, I'll explain later. For me, they only would heel when something gunky, discharge or pus came out of it, otherwise it would linger on my skin for ages.

This didnt help, as I was left with marks/scars on my face. But still i stuck with the topical ointments and oral antibiotics, didnt get far though, as at that age, was very non compliant and sometimes I would think that things were getting worse rather than better. I'd say my face was 90 % covered in spots.

Seeing as nothing was making things better for me, I went back to the GP, where he referred me to the Dermatologist at the hospital as well as regular cholestrol blood level checks being perfomed. I was put on the famous "Roaccutane" for 16 weeks, with blood tests every 4 weeks. And guess what, a few months down the line, my acne all cleared up. Amazing. I was now 22. However, whilst being on Roaccutane, things werent great, my skin felt very dry, hair was thinning and I remember getting throbbing temporal headaches, like someone was hammering me from the inside of my head. I almost felt like banging my head against the walls whilst I was on it (I didn't though), the pain was that excruciating, I cant tell you. I remember crying and having tears because of it. I believe that this could be due to raised intra-cranial pressure (ICP). But like they say, no pain without gain, so I perservered and was so glad to come off it.

The results were there, but one thing for sure, I didnt ever want to have Roaacutane again.

So after the acne all clearing up, I stayed clear for a long time, with the exception of a few minor blemishes and spots showing.

Also, the doctor prescribed me a topical retinoid, "Retin A" which increases the cell production and reduces spots etc. so every now and then I'd use that. It would lead to significant peeling, but that would just mean the marks coming off too. Seeing as skin was still oily, it did help in reducing the appearance of marks alongside with the regular peeling.

Any topical ointments causing peeling of the skin would mean a strong SPF should be applied.

At around 25 to 28, I went onto the contraceptive pill, tried logynon, yasmin, dianette to name a few. Dianette was the best one, skin was glowing, minimal marks. Doctor advised me against it after 2 years and put me on Yasmin. Yasmin was okay. Seeing my skin was pretty clear I slowly went off hormonal pills i.e. contraceptives, as I wanted things to be natural as possible, no chemicals etc in the body/blood flow.

The thing with contraceptive pills is the weight gain, not massive gain but certainly hard to lose the pounds and the sense of feeling as if i was hungry all the time and being bloated 24/7.

I also remember getting aching legs on a daily basis whilst being on the pill. Once I stopped using the pill, voila legs were fine, no ache or pain.

To conclude there, Oral antibiotics didn't do anything for me. Topical antibiotics/ointments are a good bet to cleaning up the surface oils and destroying bacteria. Topical retinoid (Retin A) isnt bad either provided its used in moderation. Oral retinoid (Roaccutane) once a lifetime is enough.

After having such a long period of clear skin , BANG, had the worst nightmare/breakout again. Now 29 coming 30, wasn't a good look. This time round, it was the face and the shoulders/chest (the left & right sides and not centrally by neck line). At this point, my face was extrememly oily. The spots were something else, sqeezing them would lead to blood pus coming out with a white seed if sqeezed hard enough. This was the only way they were going away otherwise I could feel them deep in the surface, not wanting to come out. A few started around the neck line too. I'd say my face was 80 % covered in spots.

I went to the doctor and he looked at my history and I told him that I'd want to be referred to the Dermatologist again, to which he replied, best to try the other options. I explained that I'd previously had the same problem when I was younger and Dianette worked wonders, no oral antibiotics worked. So, he prescribed me Dianette going through the DVT risk, which I was well aware off.

I took Dianetter for a month, but just didnt feel right this time round, so I thought enough is enough, so I stopped all chemicals and medicines prescribed.

Next I thought, lets try something natural. So first, I sat down and analysed my diet, what new thing have i added into it, which could lead to this. The only thing I could think of was Flaxeed Oil (Omega 3 fatty acids) which i started taking two-three months ago. So first I stopped that completely.

Next, thinking back, I remember from age on 25 onwards when I had the best skin period, I used to drink organic apple cider vinegar daily first thing in the morning and regularly use a sqeezed lemon in my cold drinks. This I believe purifies and clean the blood out.

So I decided to go back and try that out. So went to Holland & Barretts, bought myself Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. Every morning and night before bed, from July 2012 to now, I'd mix some with water and drink it.

Also every morning/night, I'd get some apple cider vinegar and dab it all onto my face, let it dry and the put SPF50 on. Then apply mineral make up, which has been the best thing ever to cover these spots/acne marks. So within 10 weeks now, I'd say my skin was 80%-85% clear on my face and chest/shoulders. Im sure that within the next few months it'll all be clear.

My acne marks are beginning to disappear too, so I'm hoping to go back to clear skin pretty soon.

I still pick my spots if I see/feel that there is something there, until the seed is out, it wont get better, hence. Just make sure you dab apple cider or put benyl peroxide straight after sqeezing it, in order to prevent infection.

Alongside the organic apple cider, I'm using 5 % benzyl peroxide three nights per week (initially it was five days per week, but once things were clearing up I reduced it). So that's another reason why skin is getting better.

So I attribute my clear skin to these two wonderful products, benzyl peroxide and apple cider vinegar,

We dont need to overdo with cleaning the skin, which I think I used to do before. I must have tried every facewash ever. They are all just full of chemicals too harsh for the skin.

Now I use Cetaphil wash every morning. Dab apple cider vinegar onto skin, wait for it to dry, then spf50 goes onto, finishing off with mineral makeup. At night, I'll use antibacterial wash by Quinoderm. Then three times a week 5%benzyl peroxide and three nights apple cider dabbed onto skin and one night free from anything before going to bed.

This works for me. I'm very happy with my skin. It's still oily, but that just means I'll have less wrinkles in time and it feels soft and being oily means marks/scars also fade quicker too.

Any questions, feel free. I've battled for 10 years or more with acne and finally found something which works, isnt expensive and is my regular regimen which works for me.

Perseverance is the key and not looking in the mirror too much helps. Ive had a success with it, so thought I'd share it with you.

Hi guys,

I hope that your battle hasn't been a tough one like mine, but like they say, nothing is impossible in life, even to cure acne, there is always something out there. Perserverence is the key.

I always end up reading peoples'view etc here, but this time round, I thought I'd join and write something, my acne story.

Before we start, just a few basics, I'm a lacto vegetarian since birth, dont smoke or consume any alcohol or toxic substances. I exercise at least 6 hours a week. Dont really do junk food and would say I've a healthy diet.

My skin type has always been oily to very oily.

My acne started back when I started Uni, age of 19. Before that, I had perfect smooth clear skin, rarely a blemish would show to the surface.

At the age of 19/20, only God know's what happened. I had a massive breakout. The spots were something else, couldnt sqeeze them, just like lumps on my face. I started with topical ointments recommended by the GP, these included benzyl peroxide, zineryt, azelaic acid from what i remember but nothing was clearing my skin up. Rather than the surface issue, I thought maybe things should be sorted/cleaned up from within, so oral was next on the list.

Oral antibiotics such as tetracycline, erythromycin, lymecycline, trimethoprim were all tried out for a few months individually, but nothing worked. My face pretty much looked like a road map. My confidence and self esteem were so low, I hated going out socially. Not only were they on my face, but zillions on my upper back too. I was disgusted.

What didn't help was that I had a habit of picking the spot, something which my father always said, if you dont take out the seed/root of the spot, it will not get better. To this day, I agree with him, I'll explain later. For me, they only would heel when something gunky, discharge or pus came out of it, otherwise it would linger on my skin for ages.

This didnt help, as I was left with marks/scars on my face. But still i stuck with the topical ointments and oral antibiotics, didnt get far though, as at that age, was very non compliant and sometimes I would think that things were getting worse rather than better. I'd say my face was 90 % covered in spots.

Seeing as nothing was making things better for me, I went back to the GP, where he referred me to the Dermatologist at the hospital as well as regular cholestrol blood level checks being perfomed. I was put on the famous "Roaccutane" for 16 weeks, with blood tests every 4 weeks. And guess what, a few months down the line, my acne all cleared up. Amazing. I was now 22. However, whilst being on Roaccutane, things werent great, my skin felt very dry, hair was thinning and I remember getting throbbing temporal headaches, like someone was hammering me from the inside of my head. I almost felt like banging my head against the walls whilst I was on it (I didn't though), the pain was that excruciating, I cant tell you. I remember crying and having tears because of it. I believe that this could be due to raised intra-cranial pressure (ICP). But like they say, no pain without gain, so I perservered and was so glad to come off it.

The results were there, but one thing for sure, I didnt ever want to have Roaacutane again.

So after the acne all clearing up, I stayed clear for a long time, with the exception of a few minor blemishes and spots showing.

Also, the doctor prescribed me a topical retinoid, "Retin A" which increases the cell production and reduces spots etc. so every now and then I'd use that. It would lead to significant peeling, but that would just mean the marks coming off too. Seeing as skin was still oily, it did help in reducing the appearance of marks alongside with the regular peeling.

Any topical ointments causing peeling of the skin would mean a strong SPF should be applied.

At around 25 to 28, I went onto the contraceptive pill, tried logynon, yasmin, dianette to name a few. Dianette was the best one, skin was glowing, minimal marks. Doctor advised me against it after 2 years and put me on Yasmin. Yasmin was okay. Seeing my skin was pretty clear I slowly went off hormonal pills i.e. contraceptives, as I wanted things to be natural as possible, no chemicals etc in the body/blood flow.

The thing with contraceptive pills is the weight gain, not massive gain but certainly hard to lose the pounds and the sense of feeling as if i was hungry all the time and being bloated 24/7.

I also remember getting aching legs on a daily basis whilst being on the pill. Once I stopped using the pill, voila legs were fine, no ache or pain.

To conclude there, Oral antibiotics didn't do anything for me. Topical antibiotics/ointments are a good bet to cleaning up the surface oils and destroying bacteria. Topical retinoid (Retin A) isnt bad either provided its used in moderation. Oral retinoid (Roaccutane) once a lifetime is enough.

After having such a long period of clear skin , BANG, had the worst nightmare/breakout again. Now 29 coming 30, wasn't a good look. This time round, it was the face and the shoulders/chest (the left & right sides and not centrally by neck line). At this point, my face was extrememly oily. The spots were something else, sqeezing them would lead to blood pus coming out with a white seed if sqeezed hard enough. This was the only way they were going away otherwise I could feel them deep in the surface, not wanting to come out. A few started around the neck line too. I'd say my face was 80 % covered in spots.

I went to the doctor and he looked at my history and I told him that I'd want to be referred to the Dermatologist again, to which he replied, best to try the other options. I explained that I'd previously had the same problem when I was younger and Dianette worked wonders, no oral antibiotics worked. So, he prescribed me Dianette going through the DVT risk, which I was well aware off.

I took Dianetter for a month, but just didnt feel right this time round, so I thought enough is enough, so I stopped all chemicals and medicines prescribed.

Next I thought, lets try something natural. So first, I sat down and analysed my diet, what new thing have i added into it, which could lead to this. The only thing I could think of was Flaxeed Oil (Omega 3 fatty acids) which i started taking two-three months ago. So first I stopped that completely.

Next, thinking back, I remember from age on 25 onwards when I had the best skin period, I used to drink organic apple cider vinegar daily first thing in the morning and regularly use a sqeezed lemon in my cold drinks. This I believe purifies and clean the blood out.

So I decided to go back and try that out. So went to Holland & Barretts, bought myself Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. Every morning and night before bed, from July 2012 to now, I'd mix some with water and drink it.

Also every morning/night, I'd get some apple cider vinegar and dab it all onto my face, let it dry and the put SPF50 on. Then apply mineral make up, which has been the best thing ever to cover these spots/acne marks. So within 10 weeks now, I'd say my skin was 80%-85% clear on my face and chest/shoulders. Im sure that within the next few months it'll all be clear.

My acne marks are beginning to disappear too, so I'm hoping to go back to clear skin pretty soon.

I still pick my spots if I see/feel that there is something there, until the seed is out, it wont get better, hence. Just make sure you dab apple cider or put benyl peroxide straight after sqeezing it, in order to prevent infection.

Alongside the organic apple cider, I'm using 5 % benzyl peroxide three nights per week (initially it was five days per week, but once things were clearing up I reduced it). So that's another reason why skin is getting better.

So I attribute my clear skin to these two wonderful products, benzyl peroxide and apple cider vinegar,

We dont need to overdo with cleaning the skin, which I think I used to do before. I must have tried every facewash ever. They are all just full of chemicals too harsh for the skin.

Now I use Cetaphil wash every morning. Dab apple cider vinegar onto skin, wait for it to dry, then spf50 goes onto, finishing off with mineral makeup. At night, I'll use antibacterial wash by Quinoderm. Then three times a week 5%benzyl peroxide and three nights apple cider dabbed onto skin and one night free from anything before going to bed.

This works for me. I'm very happy with my skin. It's still oily, but that just means I'll have less wrinkles in time and it feels soft and being oily means marks/scars also fade quicker too.

Any questions, feel free. I've battled for 10 years or more with acne and finally found something which works, isnt expensive and is my regular regimen which works for me.

Perseverance is the key and not looking in the mirror too much helps. Ive had a success with it, so thought I'd share it with you.

I enjoyed reading this.