Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whoartthou1

Antibiotics And The Severity Of Acne: Post Your Experience

Hey guys... i am very interested in the severity of acne + oral antibiotics. To begin, if any of you guys have taken antibiotics, i would like to know:

A) how bad your acne was prior to taking it (mild moderate severe, type of lesions, how inflamed etc), and how severe your acne became after ONE YEAR of not taking oral antibiotics

B) Did your acne change at all (for good or bad) after taking antibiotics (you have to be off the antibiotics for at least one year)?

I honestly believe that most people who get really bad acne only get it because they took antibiotics

A) My acne was always very light, I don't think you can even call it acne, but I started taking microgynon BC and my skin went wacko, so my face had like moderate acne after stopping, and I started antibiotics about 3 weeks later (acne was still moderate). I took it about 5 months, and after 1,5 months my face was already beautifull and clear. I'm now off antibiotics for half a year. After I quit my face became a bit worse, that's when I started using BHA lotion, and my face got back to light acne (the acne I had prior to taking BC, maybe a bit worse but I also gained about 10 lbs because I was underweight so that could contribute to the fact that my hormones are more there)

B) Antibiotics did help clearing up the mess from my BC, but it sure didn't "cure" my acne, it also didn't became WORSE after I quit. I just needed an exfoliator for my tiny bumps. But I don't think antibiotics are the right medicine for treating acne, it might be usefull for my situation (sudden acne after starting BC) but it sure isn't a cure.

I'm glad I took it, but I wouldn't recommend it for people who struggle with moderate/severe acne all the time.

Guest T.M.

I took them when I was about 20 (16 years ago) and they cleared me right up. At the time I had light acne although I though it was bad as no one I knew had any at all. Mostly a few stubborn pustules around my mouth. I'm not sure how long I was clear but it didn't last. I have an old passport with a photo from around that time and my skin was 100% clear.

After they stopped working my acne came back. It did gradually get worse but I don't think it was to do with the antibiotics, I think it was just on the cards.

IMO, they are just a short term fix which doesn't last. The same could be said about BP but that kept working for me as long as I used it.

Edited by T.M.

Hey there... I took antibiotics around 16 years old (I'm 32 now) for light/moderate acne... Unfortunately, they cleared me for a short time and began to loss effectiveness over time. However, the long term effects are still felt today... After taking oral antibiotics for a few years on and off, my acne became quite severe, persistent, and stubborn after ceasing antibiotic use. Also, I began to develop health issues, including stomach irritability and excessive yeast overgrowth. I always had a strong immunity system when I was a kid into my teens but that changed once I took antibiotics for acne. Now, my body needs very strong antibiotics in order for me to fight any infections because of excessive antibiotic use in my teens for acne. I agree with T.M., antibiotics are only a temporary fix and for some, the effects are long lasting...

Okay, so I've been on 4 different antibiotics.

Oxytetracycline - No effect.

Doxycycline - Started working, but then I got esophagitis so had to stop using it.

Eurythramycin - Used on and off for around a year, worked very well and I had no type of breakout after using it untill about 7 months afterwards (which I think was nothing to do with antibiotics).

Lymecycline - Currently using, has completely wiped out all my cystic acne and white heads. I never get spots any more, just non inflamed ones.

I took them when I was about 20 (16 years ago) and they cleared me right up. At the time I had light acne although I though it was bad as no one I knew had any at all. Mostly a few stubborn pustules around my mouth. I'm not sure how long I was clear but it didn't last. I have an old passport with a photo from around that time and my skin was 100% clear.

After they stopped working my acne came back. It did gradually get worse but I don't think it was to do with the antibiotics, I think it was just on the cards.

IMO, they are just a short term fix which doesn't last. The same could be said about BP but that kept working for me as long as I used it.

How bad was your acne after stopping antibiotics??

Hey there... I took antibiotics around 16 years old (I'm 32 now) for light/moderate acne... Unfortunately, they cleared me for a short time and began to loss effectiveness over time. However, the long term effects are still felt today... After taking oral antibiotics for a few years on and off, my acne became quite severe, persistent, and stubborn after ceasing antibiotic use. Also, I began to develop health issues, including stomach irritability and excessive yeast overgrowth. I always had a strong immunity system when I was a kid into my teens but that changed once I took antibiotics for acne. Now, my body needs very strong antibiotics in order for me to fight any infections because of excessive antibiotic use in my teens for acne. I agree with T.M., antibiotics are only a temporary fix and for some, the effects are long lasting...

How is your acne today??