Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
billz7

How Do You Work Out The Cumulative Dose-Accutane ?

Hi everyone ,

I don't understand the calculations for accutane, but I would like to learn as I Want to make sure I get the cumulative dose and no less to try to avoid relapse.

Be great to hear from anyone :)

Thanks

Billz

Generally suggested minimum cumulative dose would be 120mg/kg, and 150mg/kg is considered on the higher end. mg/kg is, literally, milligrams per kilogram, i.e. how many milligrams of Accutane you've taken throughout your course divided by your weight in kg.

weight in kg = (weight in pounds) / 2.2, if you need it.

Once you've found your weight in kg, multiply it first by 120. This amount is, for you, a lower but still advisable cumulative dose. Then multiply the weight by 150; that gives you a higher, but still reasonable, cumulative dose. You can think of those totals as goalposts, you want your final cumulative dose to be somewhere between these two numbers. It's ok if your total cumulative dose is a bit higher than your 150mg/kg measurement, but lower than 120mg/kg and you're risking a higher chance of remission.

So, for example, if you're 140 lbs, that's 140 lbs/2.2 = 63.64 kg, roughly.

63.64kg * 120 mg/kg = 7637mg <--- lower suggested dose

63.64kg * 150 mg/kg = 9546mg <--- higher suggested dose

Then you'd probably want to go about finding your cumulative dose with the plan you and your derm have planned. Say you're on 20mg for the first month, 40mg for the second, and 80mg for three more.

20mg/day * 30 days + 40mg/day * 30 days + 80mg/day * 30 days * 3 months = 9000mg total, which is right around what you'd want.

I weigh 91 pounds =43.5 kg. I'm on 20 mg ( first month ) which ends on the 19th sept , but I haven't got a derm appointment till the 9th oct and she's given me only 2 months supply of 20mg once a day so it looks like I'm on 20mg for two months unless there's a way I can contact her for upping my dose on 2nd month