Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone! I have quite a few questions, so I apologize if this post is kinda long. =/

Recently, my face has started to break out a LOT. Particularly on my forehead and temples area and it had broken out really suddenly. A month or two ago, my forehead was as clear as can be but my cheeks were very bad. Then, I bought some Aveeno Positively Radiant Cleansing Pads from Walmart and I started to exfoliate my face daily because I hardly ever used to. So i would use these in the morning and night and at night, after I washed my face, I would put some aloe vera gel on to soothe my irritated skin. This cycle was working like a dream for about 3 weeks or so; I absolutely loved it. It didn't clear my face up completely, but it did make my skin feel alot better.

Then, all of a sudden, my forehead begins to get the little bumpy pimples that are just scattered everywhere. Horrible! I don't understand what did it. It made my cheeks feel tons better, but my forehead and temples and around my eyebrows just broke out. I've been thinking that maybe I'm over-exfoliating or what? So then I bought the Aveeno Clear Complexion Moisturizer because I researched it and others have said it worked for them and I switched my pads from Positively Radiant to Clear Complexion. Now, i feel like my acne is so bad that I feel that I need some benzoyl peroxide to help calm it? So i've started to add Epiduo into the mix in the morning!

Now, my daily routine is

Morning:

1) Wash face with cleansing pads in shower

2) Put thin layer of Epiduo

3) Apply Aveeno Moisturizer and sunblock

Evening:

1) Wash face with cleansing pads

2) Apply Aloe Vera gel after drying face

And that's all. Now, my questions are:

1) Am I over-exfoliating?? I use the cleansing pads on my face twice everyday. Could this be the reason I'm breaking out so badly?

If so, should I get the soap version of the cleansing pads to make it softer on my face?

2) Should I be using the Epiduo in all of this? I'm breaking out the worst its been in a long while and I feel like it could help calm it down. What do you think?

3) Am I doing too much to my face? My sister tells me that I do too many things at once and I agree with her sometimes but I feel like if I don't do anything, it won't help. I also do not wear any foundation or anything like it; it makes me feel like my skin will get worse. Just eye makeup.

Well, that's all...sorry for a lengthy post. I just really need some advice and feedback from others and I would very very much appreciate it. Please do not hesitate to be honest! I appreciate honesty very much. And lastly, thanks so much for taking the time to read this. smile.png

-Nicki

Over exfoliation can absolutely make you break out. Your skin needs time to regenerate - over exfoliating can cause irritation and dryness, which then leads the skin to over produce oil, which then can lead to breakouts. I have combination skin and usually exfoliate once a day or once every two days with a gentle exfoliator. Try using a non-medicated, gentle, more natural exfoliator - or even make your own (brown sugar is a common one). Maybe the product itself broke you out, too?

I would say give that product a rest for a while if you think it's the culprit. See if your breakout gets any better. Also, Epiduo can certainly help, just don't use too much. I would also only use Epiduo at night since it makes the skin really sensitive to sunlight.

I have heard about an aspirin mask that can serve as an exfoliator, and I've been meaning to try it but haven't gotten around to it. I have a lot of scarring on my face as well as acne, so that's why I've started to exfoliate so much! I have noticed my skin getting much more oilier during the day than it used to before I started exfoliating, but I was just thinking that perhaps its the unbearable heat over here in California? It gets extremely oily by around 3 pm. Would you mind me asking what product you use to exfoliate?

The Epiduo, I think, is working little by little, but not very noticeably. Sometimes I don't even think its working at all. I think I need to wait it out a bit more, I'm too impatient sometimes.

Thank you for replying to my post and giving me advice, I truly appreciate it! :)

Well, there are a couple of things that could be going on here.

For starters, physical exfoliation isn't very consistent, so it depends on how long you do it and how much pressure you use. That might be part of why you're seeing different results in different areas. More likely though, you have combination skin, and the oilier areas are being overstimulated and possibly even thickening from the physical exfoliation. Anything that promotes thickening of the skin promotes clogging. Since scrubbing depends on friction, it's kind of a counterproductive form of exfoliation for acne-prone skin, and anything that rubs or irritates acne-prone skin will trigger more breakouts. There's not much salicylic acid in the Aveeno products (0.5% instead of the usual 1-2%), but doctors typically recommend not using this ingredient with Epiduo. It's good not to use a much higher amount, but a lot of people have questioned whether or not 0.5% really does anything to exfoliate. It's the lowest dosage you can find, and it serves as more of an anti-inflammatory.

Is it possible that maybe these products aren't the best for your skin type? Like I said, they don't contain much salicylic acid, and if you're breaking out in your T-zone, it could be that they're not compatible with the oilier areas of your face. Any rubbing wouldn't help matters if it's stimulating more oil production on top of things.

The Epiduo contains a retinoid, so maybe you might want to consider switching to a gel cleanser that doesn't contain any medication. You could then really see if the medication works for you, and if you need to boost your exfoliation routine, you can add in one product at a time at the opposite time of day. Sometimes your acne can get worse before it gets better on Epiduo, but if you stick with it, it's a pretty potent medication.

Hope this was helpful. =)

Well, there are a couple of things that could be going on here.

For starters, physical exfoliation isn't very consistent, so it depends on how long you do it and how much pressure you use. That might be part of why you're seeing different results in different areas. More likely though, you have combination skin, and the oilier areas are being overstimulated and possibly even thickening from the physical exfoliation. Anything that promotes thickening of the skin promotes clogging. Since scrubbing depends on friction, it's kind of a counterproductive form of exfoliation for acne-prone skin, and anything that rubs or irritates acne-prone skin will trigger more breakouts. There's not much salicylic acid in the Aveeno products (0.5% instead of the usual 1-2%), but doctors typically recommend not using this ingredient with Epiduo. It's good not to use a much higher amount, but a lot of people have questioned whether or not 0.5% really does anything to exfoliate. It's the lowest dosage you can find, and it serves as more of an anti-inflammatory.

Is it possible that maybe these products aren't the best for your skin type? Like I said, they don't contain much salicylic acid, and if you're breaking out in your T-zone, it could be that they're not compatible with the oilier areas of your face. Any rubbing wouldn't help matters if it's stimulating more oil production on top of things.

The Epiduo contains a retinoid, so maybe you might want to consider switching to a gel cleanser that doesn't contain any medication. You could then really see if the medication works for you, and if you need to boost your exfoliation routine, you can add in one product at a time at the opposite time of day. Sometimes your acne can get worse before it gets better on Epiduo, but if you stick with it, it's a pretty potent medication.

Hope this was helpful. =)

PowderedPeach, hi there! smile.png

Yes, this was extremely helpful, thank you! I didn't know about a lot of that stuff. You are correct, I have combination skin. I have reduced how much I exfoliate; once every other day! So I was hoping that maybe that might be more gentler on my skin...what do you think?

Hmm perhaps these Aveeno products aren't right for my skin...but dang, I bought a lot of the stuff! D'oh! Haha. I thought the salicylic acid would help reduce my redness, but I had no idea that it wasn't a good idea to use with Epiduo. Shoot.

The Epiduo is starting to lessen my acne bit by bit, thank goodness. However, recently I just started breaking out much more because of stress at school and work. So hopefully, I can battle it through with the Epiduo, Not giving up on it yet!

Thank you again for the helpful advice and information, PowderedPeach! I really appreciate it =)