Notifications
Clear all

Hey Y'all! ^_^

MemberMember
(@nicasia8)

Posted : 09/10/2012 9:29 pm

Hello everybody! My name is Nicki and I've been an avid onlooker of acne.org for years! I've finally joined because I have questions of my own and hopefully the nice people on here can help me out. smile.png Now, I am new to acne.org and fairly new to forums in general so I apologize if I do anything wrong. -___- I've had acne ever since 8th grade, I believe? And I know I get it from my dad, who has had severe acne when he was a teenager. My dad and I have even tried "The Regimen" product from here years ago and we enjoyed it. However, it started to become ineffective for our type of acne, so we tried other things eventually. I've used Epiduo before but I noticed that it didn't really work for me and that was awhile ago. So recently, I was thinking that perhaps I didn't give it long enough to work? I will be posting a question in the forums related to Epiduo and the cycle that I use and I would really appreciate some feedback. amused.gif

Well, I enjoy reading everyone's posts of success and I truly hope I can help others on the forums with the experience I've had with acne. I'm glad to be part of the acne.org family at last. smile.png

MemberMember
(@collegeboy84)

Posted : 09/11/2012 9:53 pm

Hello everybody! My name is Nicki and I've been an avid onlooker of acne.org for years! I've finally joined because I have questions of my own and hopefully the nice people on here can help me out. smile.png Now, I am new to acne.org and fairly new to forums in general so I apologize if I do anything wrong. -___- I've had acne ever since 8th grade, I believe? And I know I get it from my dad, who has had severe acne when he was a teenager. My dad and I have even tried "The Regimen" product from here years ago and we enjoyed it. However, it started to become ineffective for our type of acne, so we tried other things eventually. I've used Epiduo before but I noticed that it didn't really work for me and that was awhile ago. So recently, I was thinking that perhaps I didn't give it long enough to work? I will be posting a question in the forums related to Epiduo and the cycle that I use and I would really appreciate some feedback. amused.gif

Well, I enjoy reading everyone's posts of success and I truly hope I can help others on the forums with the experience I've had with acne. I'm glad to be part of the acne.org family at last. smile.png

Hello and Welcome! I too started off on the BP sold here at this site and eventually started using prescription BP w/ CP from the doc which eventually stopped working all together after a year or two of use. Epiduo is BP + Adapalene (Differin) and it does work really well. I have been using Differin for about 2 years now and have had little to no breakouts since. I would use BP as a spot treatment from time to time but rarely ever needed. I prefer to use the Differin by itself then in combination with BP mixed together (Epiduo.)

Here is the thing about Differin, it takes anywhere from 3 to 5 months to start really working properly. If your skin is anything like mine you will have MANY "initial" purges. My situation when a little like this... a terrible purge followed semi-clear skin, another breakout, clear skin, purge, clear, purge clear for several months. As each week passed the skin slowly got better. BP in combination with the Differin would probably help curve the purging but I personally am not a big fan of BP.

This is an interesting study on BP. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17309452 ...

Good luck!

P.S.- No need to apologize for doing anything wrong in advance as I am sure you will fit in just fine. :P

MemberMember
(@nicasia8)

Posted : 09/13/2012 10:57 pm

HI there! Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Thank you for the link, I very much enjoy learning more about acne treatments and things and how they work. I have never heard about Differin being by itself before; it sounds intriguing! I really hate the purging stages though -___- I have moderately severe acne and also scars, so I think my purging would be similar to yours but worse. =/

If you don't mind me asking, how is your skin now? Do you have any scarring? I unfortunately have many scars and I've started to exfoliate my face often, but I'm not sure if I'm exfoliating TOO often because I'm breaking out more.

Thank you for replying to my post! I appreciate the information and advice.

MemberMember
(@collegeboy84)

Posted : 09/18/2012 1:53 am

HI there! Thanks for the warm welcome! smile.png

Thank you for the link, I very much enjoy learning more about acne treatments and things and how they work. I have never heard about Differin being by itself before; it sounds intriguing! I really hate the purging stages though -___- I have moderately severe acne and also scars, so I think my purging would be similar to yours but worse. =/

If you don't mind me asking, how is your skin now? Do you have any scarring? I unfortunately have many scars and I've started to exfoliate my face often, but I'm not sure if I'm exfoliating TOO often because I'm breaking out more.

Thank you for replying to my post! I appreciate the information and advice.

Sorry for the late reply; been so busy with work and school!

As for my skin now, I rarely have any break outs or pimples. I have tried weening off the Differin in the past but pimples would eventually start forming again. It turns out Differin is great even if you don't have acne. It helps fade pigmentation issues and can help prevent wrinkles to some extent.

I do have some scarring on my cheekbones but they are not the result of acne. I have had the scars treated with several lasers over the last year or two which really helps. Actually, I made a thread about my laser journey with photos that can be found here. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/316133-just-had-ablative-fraxelrepair-and-ultrapulse-co2-with-photos/page__p__3248488#entry3248488

Honestly? Your best bet is to find a doctor in your area that you are comfortable with and go with his advice. If he suggests Epiduo I would definitely give it a shot. The biggest mistake so many people repeat on these forums is giving up on their prescribed medication too soon.

Purging is awful but the risk may be worth the reward. One way to really help with the purging from the Differin is to have your doctor prescribe you with some antibiotics for the 1st 3 months as you begin your epiduo regiment. Antibiotics like Minocycline work wonders. Unfortunately, you can only be on antibiotics for a 3 month period before side effects can kick in (though I personally have been on Minocycline longer then that with no issues.)

Also woman tend to have great results from certain types of birth-control/hormone medications.

I totally agree that exfoliating could actually make your acne worse as it tends to agitate the skin. Exfoliating also doesn't help much with any significant scarring. Sometimes, less is more when it comes to treating acne.

Don't let your scarring or breakouts get you down. I think you look pretty regardless. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 09/18/2012 10:09 am

Hi, welcome to acne.org! I hope Epiduo works for you, I personally have never tried it. I use the acne.org products, and the key to making this regimen work is all about balance. The products will be ineffective if not used properly. Anyway, I know advice about the regimen probably won't be of any use to you now that you are on epiduo... Some advice I can give you is always moisturize! Use a good moisturizer... If Epiduo i drying out your skin, definitely invest in a good moisturizer. (unless Epiduo is some kind of antibiotic)

MemberMember
(@nicasia8)

Posted : 09/24/2012 12:52 am

collegeboy84, oh my goodness I know what you mean. I've been sooo busy with school and work as well. I apologize for the late response.

Thank you for the compliment, you're too kind. smile.png I've been breaking out a bit more lately because I've been pretty stressed with everything going on. I checked out your laser journey and my goodness! That must've been a rough one. But you look amazing! Much respect; I would've been much too scared to do that.

Yes, I believe you're correct on that. My dermatologist recommended the Epiduo and an antibiotic and I think I did give up too soon. But that was mooonths ago. I have tried Minocycline as well, and I feel like it didn't help me at all? I took it for one month. Is that too short? And I'm not sure if the birth control I take is one that you're talking about because it also didn't seem to help my acne. Ah well. =/

Indeed, I reduced the exfoliating to once a day and now once every other day. I hope this'll help my current break outs now; they're really annoying me! Haha. Thanks again for such detailed responses and words of encouragement. They are very much appreciated! smile.png Good luck with work & school!

Wonderful Strawberry, hello there! smile.png

Thank you so much! Epiduo is a topical cream. It's been alright so far. Its lessening the acne little by little, thank goodness. Still little pimple bump things. =/ I've been trying to figure out how to smooth them out.

Thanks for the advice! smile.png I'm always wary about using moisturizer because I have combo skin; sometimes its oily to the max and sometimes its dry as a bone. Lame, lame. But yes, I'm using Aveeno Clear Complexion Moisturizer and its working fairly well, I believe? I have used the regimen before years ago. If I recall correctly, it worked pretty well for some months and then started to become ineffective for me and my father (who also has acne). But which of the products are you using? How's it going for you?

Thank you again for replying to my post and giving me advice, I truly appreciate it. smile.png

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 09/24/2012 7:57 pm

You're welcome, I'm always happy to help out fellow acne sufferers if I can. We must stick together!

Anyway, I use the acne.org cleanser, BP, and jojoba oil, as well as the CeraVe moisturizing lotion. I've been doing the regimen for 6 months as of today (happy anniversary to myself) It's mostly cleared up my skin, for some reason I can't stop breaking out on my chin, but it's nothing compared to what it used to be. My forehead was always my main problem area, and that has dramatically improved. My skin is 98% clear, just the occasional tiny barely noticeable whitehead. I really like it.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/26/2012 12:51 am

Does your dad still have acne? If not, at what point did his acne stop?

MemberMember
(@nicasia8)

Posted : 10/01/2012 1:41 am

You're welcome, I'm always happy to help out fellow acne sufferers if I can. We must stick together!

Anyway, I use the acne.org cleanser, BP, and jojoba oil, as well as the CeraVe moisturizing lotion. I've been doing the regimen for 6 months as of today (happy anniversary to myself) It's mostly cleared up my skin, for some reason I can't stop breaking out on my chin, but it's nothing compared to what it used to be. My forehead was always my main problem area, and that has dramatically improved. My skin is 98% clear, just the occasional tiny barely noticeable whitehead. I really like it.

WonderfulStrawberry, happy anniversary to you indeed! Haha :) but that is awesome! 98% clear is so much better than 0% clear! Makes me want to try the acne.org products again haha. I have been breaking out on my chin as well and I don't know why? Ahh, hopefully it will pass.

Does your dad still have acne? If not, at what point did his acne stop?

Hi there, Green Gables!

Well, my dad is 50+ years old and he still gets the occasional pimple/ mini breakout but nowhere near as bad as when he was a teenager. I believe his acne stopped when he reached his mid-twenties or so? His scarring is very bad though. Why do you ask, if you don't mind me asking?