Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacinthaa

Just In One Day, You Feel Down And Depressed Again

So, I'm just wondering if more people experience this.

Last week I was really happy with my skin, back is clear, chest is clear, face was almost clear.

So I went to sleep last night, and this morning I woke up with 1 new pustule above my mouth and 1 double big pimple next to my eyebrow.

The pustule was a clogged pore which got infected over night, and the double pimple were also 2 clogged pores next to each other. And all of a sudden they get infected and hurt like a ****

And BAM there goes the "I am happy with myself" feeling. It just put me right back into my acny dysmorphia depression.

It's just so frustrating that I can be happy sometimes, and then in one night sleep I crawl back into my depression.

I had to do some grocery shopping today and get my driver's license, but now I'm only crying and laying in bed. I just can't get up and do something because I feel so down about my face. And I feel so sorry for my parents, cause I know they will be sad too when they get home and see me like this.

I'm starting therapy in October, so I have to hold on a little longer, but acne dysmorphia is such a bitch, I don't know if I can take it much longer.

I'm in exactly the same boat and I'm a 18 year old guy I have bad acne dismorphia, some days I can feel great about my skin and then BAMB a few spots come up and puts me back into severe depression :/ init weird how a couple of spots can make u feel like that, not wanting to do nothing speak or talk to any one :( I have a rele bad obsession with my skin wich started after a massive breakout ever since its like it's taken my personality away with it , and as soon as they heal I'm back to my happy self then it happens over and over again , I know what it's like it's what acne dismorphia does to you , keep strong I know it's tough it's nice to know your not alone ! If u ever need a chat pm me :) I'm having one of those days today to :/ in bed don't wanna move depressed feeling like shit :/ take care :)

Hey, sorry to hear you feel like this - I know the feeling all too well, but even when you do the regime religiously, a few breakouts will happen (at least from my experience). We are human after all and we can't put our skin in a vacuum. I don't know how severe your acne was in the past but from your picture you look like you're pretty much all clear, so though it may be hard just try to focus on that. You have that at least. Better to have these once every few weeks than all the time, right? If you just pile on the epiduo/10% benzo/adapalene they should clear up rapidly.

@ ijustwantmylifeback123

My story is so similar to yours! My acne dysmorphia also started when I had a huge breakout from taking BC (microgynon) I can totally relate to the thought of your personality going away. I don't even recognize myself anymore. The breakout was indeed réally bad, but antibiotics cleared it up beautifully, and my skin went back to normal (not as good as it was on antibiotics, but manageble) But now it's like I can't even take 3 or 4 spots on my face, especially if they're on my cheeks of forehead. I lay in bed the whole morning, but I just got dressed and went downstairs when my mom came home. I'm 18 aswell by the way ;)

@ anewflame

My acne was never severe, it's always been light to mild. Last year, november I got a HUGE breakout from taking BC microgynon. I went to the dermatologist and they put me on antibiotics (minocycline) and differin-gel. My face cleared up nearly to perfection (and that's the photo I'm having in my gallery, so yeah I was clear that time) But when I stopped taking the antibiotics my face got a little bit more spotty. So it went back to light/mild acne. But it's like I can't take it anymore, I had 5 months of clear skin on antibiotics and I guess I'm spoiled now? I was so happy with myself that time, I felt on top of the world! Clear skin rules above anything, but I guess I have to live with light acne now.

My regimen consists of using a BHA lotion in the evening, and some moisturizer in the morning. I'm not using anything in the shower because my face is so sensitive and gets dry/red very fast.

Differin doesn't work for me, when I quit antibiotics everything came back and the only thing differin was doing, was making my face extremely sensitive that even sleeping on a pillow would make scratches on my face (so yeah, I quit using that, and I like BHA lotion)

I'm resistant to BP, cuz I used that when I was 14/15. It cleared me up till perfection, but after a year it suddenly came back, and it hasn't been working ever since.

I've been taking Yasmin BC now for almost 1,5 month, so that could contribute to the fact I'm getting pimples. The first month I got all these cystic-like pimples on my chin, but they're gone now (the red marks aren't..) and it already cleared up my back to perfection, so I'm confident that it will do the same to my face. But yeah, this was a minor setback, and I hope it will clear up near the weekend so I can feel confident going out.

It can be so hard to go through that. Some days I feel confident enough to not wear make up. Then something will happen and I get really upset about my acne and start being really hard on myself.

Hey, my situation is EXACTLY like yours. Like, almost to a T. I had one of the worst breakouts I think I've ever had last October from the BC I was taking. My cheeks became all spotty and red. I had never had so much redness on my cheeks! I had always had mild acne before but never something that seemed to take over my whole face. It got worse and worse until I finally saw a derm in January and she prescribed Doxy and Epiduo for me. The combination cleared up my skin beautifully too, my pimples stopped after about a month and a half and my hyperpigmentation faded significantly by May. Now my skin is essentially clear, just a few marks, but like you, I also get very distressed at the sign of a pimple or even anything slightly abnormal on my skin. Redness, dry patches, etc. will send me into a depressive mood. The funny thing is, these things usually get better within a few days, but it's like I'm so impatient that I just worry it'll look bad/be bad forever. I get sent into a tizzy by the slightest thing.

I've realized my behavior is not normal and most likely related to acne dysmorphia or some sort of OCD/anxiety disorder. You probably have this too. You seem to realize that your behavior about your skin is an overreaction, which makes me think it's more like anxiety than dysmorphia. I'm going to start seeing a therapist soon, too, and I have a feeling it's going to help a lot. You just need to realize that no one's skin is perfect, and no one is scrutinizing your skin like you do. I've since made a rule to stand a certain amount of feet away from the mirror so I don't look at my skin up close and scrutinize.

Just remember you are MORE than whatever your skin is, too. Your self worth is not tied to your looks or your skin. It's your personality, your spirit. That's what makes you, you. I know it's hard because I'm struggling with the SAME self esteem issues too right now. But it's been getting a little better everyday and I know we can both feel better about all of this. :)

You just need to realize that no one's skin is perfect, and no one is scrutinizing your skin like you do. I've since made a rule to stand a certain amount of feet away from the mirror so I don't look at my skin up close and scrutinize.

What a great idea! It always crosses my mind when I am checking out my skin in the mirror that no one, I mean like ever, gets that close to my face on a day to day basis... so it's unrealistic to think that people will notice in as much detail as I do. I may make that my rule too...

My acne was never severe, it's always been light to mild. Last year, november I got a HUGE breakout from taking BC microgynon. I went to the dermatologist and they put me on antibiotics (minocycline) and differin-gel. My face cleared up nearly to perfection (and that's the photo I'm having in my gallery, so yeah I was clear that time) But when I stopped taking the antibiotics my face got a little bit more spotty. So it went back to light/mild acne. But it's like I can't take it anymore, I had 5 months of clear skin on antibiotics and I guess I'm spoiled now? I was so happy with myself that time, I felt on top of the world! Clear skin rules above anything, but I guess I have to live with light acne now.

My regimen consists of using a BHA lotion in the evening, and some moisturizer in the morning. I'm not using anything in the shower because my face is so sensitive and gets dry/red very fast.

Differin doesn't work for me, when I quit antibiotics everything came back and the only thing differin was doing, was making my face extremely sensitive that even sleeping on a pillow would make scratches on my face (so yeah, I quit using that, and I like BHA lotion)

I'm resistant to BP, cuz I used that when I was 14/15. It cleared me up till perfection, but after a year it suddenly came back, and it hasn't been working ever since.

I've been taking Yasmin BC now for almost 1,5 month, so that could contribute to the fact I'm getting pimples. The first month I got all these cystic-like pimples on my chin, but they're gone now (the red marks aren't..) and it already cleared up my back to perfection, so I'm confident that it will do the same to my face. But yeah, this was a minor setback, and I hope it will clear up near the weekend so I can feel confident going out.

I guess we all react differently to different products, I was on Microgynon for 2 years and it didn't make my acne worse (though it certainly didn't make it any better as I was promised!) One of the major reasons I have all but refused to go on antibiotics to treat my acne is because of exactly what you describe... it comes back eventually, sometimes worse! I find differin to be useful for on-the-spot treatment along with BP but not much else, so I agree with you on that one. Theoretically it is not possible to become immune to BP (http://www.acne.org/faq.html#resistant) and so maybe it is worth considering starting up the regime again in your instance.

I was clear for two years on Panoxyl 2.5% but it was effectively discontinued two months ago, and my acne inevitably came back with a vengeance which was heartbreaking after being clear for so long. It still is - as I was out of the regimen for a week and a half at most and I am still feeling the effects two months later and struggling, inexplicably, to get Dan's BP to work for me in the same was Panoxyl did (even though they're theoretically the exact same product!) Luckily they are brining it back in November but I can't even begin to tell you how much it annoys me, knowing there is a treatment out there that will make my clear but that I don't have access to...

I think therapy will do you a world of good, and will get rid of some of those negative thoughts you're having. Remember to be kind to yourself, I know it's difficult but you can't help the skin you have and anyone worth their weight will know that too.

This happens to me so much it's getting stupid. Like 2 days ago my skin was ok, not great but manageable, so I got into looking forward to uni starting and getting all my stuff together and planning what I want to do in Freshers' Week etc. Then yesterday three new big sore spots come out on my chin and BAM, back into the downward spiral all over again. Now I just wish I could hide away and become a hermit or something and not have to go back to uni at all. This after practically a whole summer of barely leaving the house and hiding in my room most of the time. It's the same every year and it sucks. What did we do to deserve this when so many people can wander round with perfectly clear skin every single day of the year without any time or effort needed?! And why does our mood have to be directly proportional to the condition of our skin anyway? It's not logical but we seem doomed to feel awful all the time just because we have rubbish skin even though, once you've tried so many different things, there really isn't anything more we can do about it.

Anyway so sorry about the rant, but I hope you're all feeling better about it soon! Just got to keep ploughing on I guess...

Still feeling shit today. I'm just wondering if I'm getting a 2nd IB with Yasmin, I'm just halfway through the second mond. I started breaking out cystic on my chin halfway through the first month, and that's almost cleared up (only one normal pimple left), and maybe it's starting on my forehead now. Or it's just a normal break-out, don't know.

Got like 2 normalsized pimples, and 1 next to my eyebrow that's just weird? Dunno it's like a double-one and it looks disgusting and brown right now -.- Tried to pick it yesterday, and failed, so now it looks worse today. I never pick but yeah I just got the urge.

It does seem that my skin always gets worse after the weekend. Must be the alcohol and energydrinks/soda that's coming with alcohol that make me break out or something.. During the week I eat very healthy cause I'm not a person who eats candy/cookies or drinks soda, so yeah that might be the problem during the weekend.

Acne is horrible, but there are so many people who can just live their lives and act normal, cause it's a thing that eventually wíll pass. I'm just hoping therapy will get me to accept my face, even if it's not at it's best. Hang on everyone! We will get there.

Wow you're pretty! I too have felt this way just recently. My face was 95% clear for nearly a year before I stupidly picked a cyst. It is healing now and getting back to normal. At the time I was depressed for a few days but now I'm happy(ish) again. Moral of the story - Your skin will be be better eventually and its not as bad as you think!

It's like the same with me, clear skin = I'm happy, and if it gets bad, I'll be depressed again. Just a circle you can't get out..

But thanks!

Yea it's definitely the psychology of it all. We battle with breakouts for so long and put so much time and patience into them finally going away. Sometimes this process takes weeks. Then overnight a new batch comes along.

The only advice I can give is to think of the new breakouts as increasingly "weaker" than the last ones, and that they'll go away quicker. As long as you don't relapse and start picking the crap out of the new breakouts, this is generally true and they will go away.

Still feeling shit today. I'm just wondering if I'm getting a 2nd IB with Yasmin, I'm just halfway through the second mond. I started breaking out cystic on my chin halfway through the first month, and that's almost cleared up (only one normal pimple left), and maybe it's starting on my forehead now. Or it's just a normal break-out, don't know.

Got like 2 normalsized pimples, and 1 next to my eyebrow that's just weird? Dunno it's like a double-one and it looks disgusting and brown right now -.- Tried to pick it yesterday, and failed, so now it looks worse today. I never pick but yeah I just got the urge.

It does seem that my skin always gets worse after the weekend. Must be the alcohol and energydrinks/soda that's coming with alcohol that make me break out or something.. During the week I eat very healthy cause I'm not a person who eats candy/cookies or drinks soda, so yeah that might be the problem during the weekend.

Acne is horrible, but there are so many people who can just live their lives and act normal, cause it's a thing that eventually wíll pass. I'm just hoping therapy will get me to accept my face, even if it's not at it's best. Hang on everyone! We will get there.

Therapy will definitely help. It's amazing what a trusting relationship with someone can do. I've been seeing a therapist for the past 4 months or so, and it's been a godsend. He reads me like a book, it's incredible. He's seen me at my highest points, and my lowest points. I can say therapy didn't help me accept my face,but it put it into a realistic view. I always saw myself as a monster at some points, only when I had like 4 pimples on my face, I just saw it as the end of the world. He's honest to me and says, yeah you have a few pimples, but it's not the first thing I notice about you. And he'll start to compliment me on my good features, like my smile, my nose, etc. he just puts my skin into a realistic aspect. Therapy is amazing. Good luck girl.

It's nice to hear therapy actually helped you a lot! I'm starting a really specialized therapy (a real BDD therapy). So I'm guessing that will even help me with accepting my face at it worst. It will be group-therapy, so that's great too!

For now I'm just trying to get through the day, I know that my face will probably be better in about 3 days.

Haven't been getting cysts (and they better not show up again, cuz I never had those) So I guess I'm adjusting to the hormones in Yasmin BC :)

I'm just hoping this was my last break-out and my face can go back to normal!

Love you all x

Yeah I can 100% relate to this. One day or week you feel like everything is going amazing, and then literally overnight things change and your depressed and all you can think about is your skin.

how is this shit even possible??? its so fucking gay and ugly, air dries out in its pressence stupid fucking acne hassle llxP how do people cope with this tumor kinda crap even???

bwleeeeeghdbhjdjvbg //xPP yuckyuckyuckyuckyuckyuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk