Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My mom is really getting on my case about getting a tan...she keeps saying that I look sickly without one, (even though my best friend said that I already look tanned...). I guess being white makes me look really bad?

As much as I'd like to flip off my mom and stay relatively pale, I admit: I kinda do need a tan--it really has helped in the past to obscure the red marks/acne scars on my face, and it at least helps make me look less monotone to make up for my otherwise monotone everything.

So...how do I go about getting a tan when I have some mild/moderate acne and horribly oily facial skin, safely? I never even once laid out in the sun...so I don't know what to do, how long, or what sunscreen spf to use, or what brand for the matter (one that won't irritate or make my oil problem even worse). I used to get a deep, rich tan all year long just by going to school after all, and I don't know how to simulate that again.

Thanks for the help.

Well first make sure you have sunscreen on, that's the most important thing. if you're really pale. don't lay out for longer than I would say 40min- 1 hour. Spf 30 may be good because if you go too high, you won't get a tan. My mom loves using the aveeno sunscreen (expensive) but she's convinced it's the best and she has sensitive skin, I have oily skin and i just use any kind of sunscreen, I don't think it'll hurt your oily skin, just make sure you wash your face when you're done tanning. :] I don't put cream on my face though, I buy the little sticks ( they look like lip balm) but you can put it on your face. The sun actually kind of clears your acne up, temporarily. but it'll come back =/ When you get a base tan, then it gets easier to get even darker. I get pretty tan in the summer but all i do is lay out for an hour- an hour and a half and when I'm just starting to try to get a little tan i lay out for 40 minutes- hour. if you feel like you're turning red or you feel hot then stop tanning. Also,when it's 85+degree's outside, I don't lay out too long,cause thats when you can burn,I lay out in 75 degree weather in the beginning cause I feel less hot and don't burn. but it's up to you, if you feel hot and feel like the sun is too strong then maybe go a bit earlier in the day :)