Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snowpup949

Information Overload - Where Do I Start?

Hello everyone. I am new here and am in need of some help.

My acne has returned a year and a half after completing my Accutane treatment. I obviously want to get rid of it, but this time I am aiming for a more natural and less harmful approach. So I would like to change my diet. After looking around some of the threads and doing some research about acne diets on my own, I am experiencing information overload. It is hard to know exactly where to start and what to do first. My mind is very scattered all the time and I have issues with organizing information, especially when I recieve a lot at once. It's all so overwhelming!

Can anyone give me some specific advice on what to do first? Just what to do first, not anything else. I really am just in need of a starting point right now.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

1) stop drinking sugary drinks. Now.

2) start avoiding processed foods, refined carbs, hydrogenated fats, added sugar, etc. replace with real whole nutrient dense foods, especially greens. keep all meals lw to moderate glycemic load.

3) start figuring out your personal food intolerances with an elimination diet. Start with gluten grains and dairy, and even if you see no noticeable improvement, they shouldn't be a big part of your diet.

Also sleep well keeping as natural circadian cycle as possible, get outside into the light and be active daily.

2) start avoiding processed foods, refined carbs, hydrogenated fats, added sugar, etc. replace with real whole nutrient dense foods, especially greens. keep all meals lw to moderate glycemic load.

3) start figuring out your personal food intolerances with an elimination diet. Start with gluten grains and dairy, and even if you see no noticeable improvement, they shouldn't be a big part of your diet.

Also sleep well keeping as natural circadian cycle as possible, get outside into the light and be active daily.

Thank you for responding!

I am probably about to sound a little dumb, but I just want to make sure I understand. What are considered processed foods? Also, what is a circadian cycle?

I am probably about to sound a little dumb, but I just want to make sure I understand. What are considered processed foods? Also, what is a circadian cycle?

Generally, processed foods would be anything that's pre-made for you. Crackers, chips, bread, etc. Your ideal meals will consist of meat, fruit, vegetables, and legumes with plenty of herbs and spices for flavor and nutrients.

For example:

Breakfast- Protein-based (eggs and bacon, sausage, etc.) with a serving of fruit

Lunch- protein source (turkey, soy, beans, etc.) a salad with plenty of nutrient-dense toppings, and another serving of fruit.

Dinner- meat-based, rather than grain-based (so something like kabobs or pork tenderloin instead of pasta or fried rice) with a side of vegetables, maybe more fruit for dessert.

Obviously there's a world of options you can mix and match with, but this approach totally eliminates "snack foods" and foods that are basically just refined flour with no nutrients whatsoever that only boost your blood sugar and cause inflammation.

Thank you very much for the advice! I started doing everything today. Just water and healthy, nutritious foods with no added sugar.

How long should it take before I know if eliminating dairy and gluten grains helped?

Also, drink lots of water

yeah, couldnt agree more.

eusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gif

Thank you very much for the advice! I started doing everything today. Just water and healthy, nutritious foods with no added sugar.

How long should it take before I know if eliminating dairy and gluten grains helped?

3 days max

if you dont see results try the next:

1.get on anti DHT. birth control, spiro, saw plametto.

2.wash the face [wherever you have acne] with soap at least 3-4 times a day. dont let your skin get oily, keep it dry.

3.shower 2 times a day with warm\hot water. why? water dry out the skin. when you wake up in the morning your skin is really oily[unless you use benzoyl peroxide], you must get rid of the oil. so if you have any body acne its best to take a shwer and use a soap on the back\chest\whatever in the shower. but if you have acne ONLY on the face, then its enough to just wash the face with soap.

4.use benzoyl peroxide at night. best topical. it has proven itself countless times, and acne bacteria cant get resistent to it.

if you follow the above 4 steps you will get clear in 5 days max.

Edited by arqa22

Processed foods are things that come in boxes and bags with a lengthy ingredient list. Unprocessed foods are things like chicken, eggs, apples, spinach, berries, sweet potatoes, etc.

The circadian cycle is your daily sleep/wake, dark/sunlight exposure cycle. Limit artificial light exposure at night, sleep at night in as total darkness as possible, get up and out into daylight as early and much as possible in the morning.

Also, you need to avoid things for several weeks to test for intolerance, but in the case oh gluten, it can take several months and you may need to avoid all grains and maybe all seeds before you see a difference. This is because of the damage caused by gluten that needs to heal. But, you probably have other health/allergy/digestion and even mood issues if that is the case. If not, you probably don't have a very severe gluten intolerance or damage and should just limit your grain consumption and learn to prepare grains and seeds properly by soaking, fermenting, and/or sprouting to reduce harmful anti tridents they contain.

Edited by alternativista