Notifications
Clear all

Linoleic Acid--Success?

MemberMember
(@toulouse)

Posted : 09/09/2012 6:41 pm

Just wondering if there was a poll/thread done for those who've tried to incorporate linoleic acid either internally or topically. If not, I'd love to hear what your experience has been, esp. with those topical oils that are rich in linoleic acid. I'm little confused as to how the body can appropriately process the linoleic acid from simply applying topically, but the science behind it and other dht inhibitors is very intriguing. I don't have the cystic acne I had in my teens and twenties, but still suffer from deep blackheads/whiteheads, which means I'm always one glass of milk, slice of cheese, drink, etc. away from a bad breakout LOL

Did it work for you?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 09/09/2012 7:24 pm

Just wondering if there was a poll/thread done for those who've tried to incorporate linoleic acid either internally or topically. If not, I'd love to hear what your experience has been, esp. with those topical oils that are rich in linoleic acid. I'm little confused as to how the body can appropriately process the linoleic acid from simply applying topically, but the science behind it and other dht inhibitors is very intriguing. I don't have the cystic acne I had in my teens and twenties, but still suffer from deep blackheads/whiteheads, which means I'm always one glass of milk, slice of cheese, drink, etc. away from a bad breakout LOL

Did it work for you?

Thanks!

It spreads throughout the skin/sebaceous glands. The same way spot on flea treatments like advantage work all over your dog even though you only put it on one spot.

MemberMember
(@supermachii)

Posted : 09/11/2012 7:47 am

No, it did not work for me. I'd always be skeptical about science that isn't tested.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/01/2012 11:59 pm

i have been taking 4,000 mg ingested daily and applying it topically as well. i have noticed pimples and white heads dry up. acne scars have faded. it is in evening primrose oil and this is how i get it.THE FACT IS IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS. THE SCIENTIFIC PROOF IS OUT THERE THAT THIS WORKS. PEOPLE USED TO SAY THE EARTH WAS FLAT AND IT WAS THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE. YES LINOLEIC IS A POSSIBLE CURE TO ACNE. IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR EVERYONe. see the link in my signature for some scientific research. alternatavista has also done some great research and posts on it showing how it helps acne.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/02/2012 4:36 am

i have been taking 4,000 mg ingested daily and applying it topically as well. i have noticed pimples and white heads dry up. acne scars have faded. it is in evening primrose oil and this is how i get it.THE FACT IS IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS. THE SCIENTIFIC PROOF IS OUT THERE THAT THIS WORKS. PEOPLE USED TO SAY THE EARTH WAS FLAT AND IT WAS THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE. YES LINOLEIC IS A POSSIBLE CURE TO ACNE. IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR EVERYONe. see the link in my signature for some scientific research. alternatavista has also done some great research and posts on it showing how it helps acne.

Dietary linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid which gets converted to arachidonic acid in the body. Arachidonic acid, then again, is a precursor in eicosanoid signaling that can lead to further systemic inflammation. I would recommend that you would only use linoleic acid on your skin and skip the supplements, because those supplements may aggravate inflamed acne.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/02/2012 10:38 am

Dietary linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid which gets converted to arachidonic acid in the body. Arachidonic acid, then again, is a precursor in eicosanoid signaling that can lead to further systemic inflammation. I would recommend that you would only use linoleic acid on your skin and skip the supplements, because those supplements may aggravate inflamed acne.

hmm true. i didn't know this. thanks! but it still inhibits dht which is why i think it works too. because i think dht could have to do with acne. thats a very good point you make though about only applying it to the skin. currently i drink it and apply it topically but im doing many other things too that are in my sig. i will try not drinking and see what happens.

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 12/02/2012 12:26 pm

linoleic acid is an essential nutrient, the rdi is 17 grams per day. every single cell in your body requires fat to run optimally.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/05/2012 9:39 pm

linoleic acid is an essential nutrient, the rdi is 17 grams per day. every single cell in your body requires fat to run optimally.

It's true that body needs fat to run optimally, but it's not quite that simple. Linoleic acid is an essential nutrient, but a deficiency in linoleic acid would be extremely rare, and people tend to get too much of it if anything. Basically it's better to avoid linoleic acid - even if you tried to minimize it best you can, you would most likely still get enough in your diet.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/05/2012 10:41 pm

It's true that body needs fat to run optimally, but it's not quite that simple. Linoleic acid is an essential nutrient, but a deficiency in linoleic acid would be extremely rare, and people tend to get too much of it if anything. Basically it's better to avoid linoleic acid - even if you tried to minimize it best you can, you would most likely still get enough in your diet.

mhm. but the deficiency is in the skin. they did research on it and people with acne have deficiency in linoleic acid in skin compared to people without acne. once again its a relative deficiency. i noticed that my acne cleared up after 1 week using evening primrose oil topically. i thought that it was the probiotic topical i was putting on my skin so i stopped eveining primrose oil and now my acne is coming back. still though this doesnt mean linoleic acid topically cures acne. i will have to wait at least one month before i can justify that.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/06/2012 6:35 am

mhm. but the deficiency is in the skin. they did research on it and people with acne have deficiency in linoleic acid in skin compared to people without acne. once again its a relative deficiency. i noticed that my acne cleared up after 1 week using evening primrose oil topically. i thought that it was the probiotic topical i was putting on my skin so i stopped eveining primrose oil and now my acne is coming back. still though this doesnt mean linoleic acid topically cures acne. i will have to wait at least one month before i can justify that.

I was talking about a dietary deficiency only, sorry if I was confusing. I don't think the deficiency in the skin correlates with a dietary deficiency. Topical use of linoleic acid is a very interesting and possibly effective idea, I was just trying to make a point that using linoleic acid internally may not be worth it because 1) it probably doesn't affect the deficiency in the skin and 2) it could cause inflammation.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/06/2012 8:44 am

I was talking about a dietary deficiency only, sorry if I was confusing. I don't think the deficiency in the skin correlates with a dietary deficiency. Topical use of linoleic acid is a very interesting and possibly effective idea, I was just trying to make a point that using linoleic acid internally may not be worth it because 1) it probably doesn't affect the deficiency in the skin and 2) it could cause inflammation.

Yes, it doesn't seem likely that we have a dietary deficiency and the researchers didn't believe we had a systemic deficiency, but rather a few gene mutations that result in a deficiency in the skin. On the other hand, it looks like ingesting linoleic acid has done more for my Dog's skin problems than topical application.

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 12/06/2012 3:48 pm

I use hemp oil topically which helps a lot with breakouts. It definitely hasn't cleared my acne though. I would say it helps 20%.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/06/2012 8:32 pm

Yes, it doesn't seem likely that we have a dietary deficiency and the researchers didn't believe we had a systemic deficiency, but rather a few gene mutations that result in a deficiency in the skin. On the other hand, it looks like ingesting linoleic acid has done more for my Dog's skin problems than topical application.

i know you posted a lot of great stuff on linoleic acid. do you think i could ever become 100% clear just by using it topically and eating it? and do you have any recommendation on how much i should take per day? i'm taking 4000mg a day right now. and is it true that it inhibits dht from being converted from regular testosterone? thanks! tinydan.gif

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 05/20/2013 2:04 pm

This woman has had great success with hemp seed oil (1-3 drops, very little) AFTER a SA toner. Here is her protocol. Important to note that it took her 4 months to clear. I am sometimes confused here at why people try things that they think are going to work but only give it a month, when the life-cycle of acne is about 4 months. I realize it is hard to stick things out. Anyway, BPO is toxic IMO, and so I am going to try this regemin, as I have lots of whiteheads since stopping BPO and adding jojoba. What a disaster that was...

[Removed]

I have no vested interest in this company. Just in clearing my closed comedone whiteheads!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/20/2013 4:01 pm

On 5/21/2013 at 1:04 AM, mimij67 said:

This woman has had great success with hemp seed oil (1-3 drops, very little) AFTER a SA toner. Here is her protocol. Important to note that it took her 4 months to clear. I am sometimes confused here at why people try things that they think are going to work but only give it a month, when the life-cycle of acne is about 4 months. I realize it is hard to stick things out. Anyway, BPO is toxic IMO, and so I am going to try this regemin, as I have lots of whiteheads since stopping BPO and adding jojoba. What a disaster that was...

[Removed]

I have no vested interest in this company. Just in clearing my closed comedone whiteheads!

Yeah, she visited the linoleic acid thread many months ago. so you are going to pay $70 bucks for that? Wow. I do need to start a skin care line. But I just couldn't make myself charge those kind of prices for such inexpensive things. Or create all that garbage with the packaging.

Also, I tried hemp seed oil for a while for my dog and me. My KP came back, and the dog wouldn't ingest it. I couldn't say if it worked as well or not for his skin problems as the higher linoleic acid content safflower.

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 05/20/2013 4:24 pm

Which high linoleic acid oil would you recommend over the hemp oil? Safflower or sunflower? Also, do you think using BP temporarily under the high linoleic oil will negate the effects?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

I plan for the long term to just use a cold-pressed oil. I suppose I can make my own SA toner. I was just so desperate last week, I didn't want to think about it! Agree the price is high! You should make your own line! I bet it would be lovely :)

I checked the linoleic acid content of oils. Do you recommend/preffer the safflower oil over the hemp? Are there any other properties we should be considering in the oils? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/20/2013 4:44 pm

Which high linoleic acid oil would you recommend over the hemp oil? Safflower or sunflower? Also, do you think using BP temporarily under the high linoleic oil will negate the effects?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

I plan for the long term to just use a cold-pressed oil. I suppose I can make my own SA toner. I was just so desperate last week, I didn't want to think about it! Agree the price is high! You should make your own line! I bet it would be lovely smile.png

I checked the linoleic acid content of oils. Do you recommend/preffer the safflower oil over the hemp? Are there any other properties we should be considering in the oils? Thanks!

I use safflower. And I buy Napa Valley Organics or Naturals. I can never remember exactly. From California and sold at Whole Foods. Put a little in a small dark bottle for your daily use and keep the rest in the fridge. Add nice essential oils like lemongrass, lavender, ginger, etc. Many of those will also repel insects so bonus for summer. Or things that are healing. A lot of people like tea tree. Calendula oil is the only other one I've tried, for the dog. It's used a lot in diaper rash baby products, so I figured it would be ok for him to lick it off.

I am switching to the baking soda/ACV instead of shampoo method. It's my third time today. I decided to try adding a little tea tree oil, accidently put a little too much (there's no dropper) and my hair reeked. It was making me nautious, but the smell went away after I sat outside in the sun for lunch.

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 05/20/2013 4:54 pm

Thank you! I was using the BP to help the inflammed, red acne. Will the safflower help with the inflammation?

Can't use essential oils for another year or so, as I have an immune condition. Will try those when I can!

Do you think that once I am clear, I could just skip the SA toner and use the linoleic acid by itself? Possible that SA or SA + BP are aggrevating my bladder/digestion issue.

Thanks so much!!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/20/2013 5:25 pm

Thank you! I was using the BP to help the inflammed, red acne. Will the safflower help with the inflammation?

Can't use essential oils for another year or so, as I have an immune condition. Will try those when I can!

Do you think that once I am clear, I could just skip the SA toner and use the linoleic acid by itself? Possible that SA or SA + BP are aggrevating my bladder/digestion issue.

Thanks so much!!

Have you tried using aloe vera to sooth inflammation?

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 05/20/2013 5:51 pm

Thanks! I have an unusual condition. Things with high anti-oxidant, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory have a negative effect on my health condition. The more healed my gut lining is, the more I will be able to tolerate these "healthy" things like aloe vera. For example, I can't YET eat EVOO (thank goodness I tolerate grass-fed butter).

So can't use aloe for inflammation :( I will ice which helps a little.

My skin was clear 3 weeks ago and now it is utterly covered in closed comedones from the jojoba oil. I am just miserable. Thanks for your thoughts!

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 05/20/2013 6:26 pm

LOL on that tea tree oil in the hair!! That stuff is powerful. I can't really use it yet either

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 05/20/2013 9:33 pm

I used grape seed oil topically for about 8 months. The first week or two I was 100% clear (and I have never been 100% clear since I got acne).

However as the weeks went by my acne came back and even after the 8 months of using it it has no effect so I stopped using it altogether.

Have no idea why the first week or two happened like it did though.. so gutted when my acne came back just as bad as ever I don't remember what it's like to have clear skin so that week was like a dream haha.

MemberMember
(@mimij67)

Posted : 05/21/2013 2:15 pm

Altavista, do you eat any dairy or gluten now? I plan to keep out for 4 months and then test a few things.

What do you think of raw dairy in moderation?

Do you think nightshades affet acne? I am allowed them on my diet. Tomatoes and red peppers are a real treat, but I would give them up for a while if it would help my acne...

Do you ever eat any refined carbs? For example, as a treat, I sometimes make a sugar-free muffin with pureed yellow squash or sweet potato, spring water, gluten-free flour mix, melted grass-fed butter. I would not eat these everyday, but just occasional. Right now I am only having basmati rice about 5 times a week. Otherwise sticking to meats, fish, eggs, grass-fed butter, veggies, sweet potatoes.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I used grape seed oil topically for about 8 months. The first week or two I was 100% clear (and I have never been 100% clear since I got acne).

However as the weeks went by my acne came back and even after the 8 months of using it it has no effect so I stopped using it altogether.

Have no idea why the first week or two happened like it did though.. so gutted when my acne came back just as bad as ever I don't remember what it's like to have clear skin so that week was like a dream haha.

Hi FSAS

What was the rest of your protocol while on the grape seed oil? Were you using cleansers, BP, SA, etc? What was your diet? Thanks for your thoughts.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 05/21/2013 4:43 pm

LOL on that tea tree oil in the hair!! That stuff is powerful. I can't really use it yet either

It was for my scalp. But the bottle doesn't have a dropper. So I did a good job pouring out the first 2 drops and thought, just a one more..

Altavista, do you eat any dairy or gluten now? I plan to keep out for 4 months and then test a few things.

What do you think of raw dairy in moderation?

Do you think nightshades affet acne? I am allowed them on my diet. Tomatoes and red peppers are a real treat, but I would give them up for a while if it would help my acne...

Do you ever eat any refined carbs? For example, as a treat, I sometimes make a sugar-free muffin with pureed yellow squash or sweet potato, spring water, gluten-free flour mix, melted grass-fed butter. I would not eat these everyday, but just occasional. Right now I am only having basmati rice about 5 times a week. Otherwise sticking to meats, fish, eggs, grass-fed butter, veggies, sweet potatoes.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I eat all those things, just not much of them. And I mostly eat very good things. Except the raw milk. I've never sought out and paid the big bucks for raw milk. It's best that you stick with fermented dairy.

Nightshades might affect your acne. It's common to be intolerant to them and they are fairly inflammatory in which case, it depends on what else you eat. You just have to try it.

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 05/21/2013 6:44 pm

Hi FSAS

What was the rest of your protocol while on the grape seed oil? Were you using cleansers, BP, SA, etc? What was your diet? Thanks for your thoughts.

Hey there,

I've never used chemical cleansers in my life, I'm 21 now but I was quite restricted young so all I ever ate was healthy food and used natural products whilst living in the country because there was just no junk food around or big shops with heaps of products type thing. I still have never used chemicals. I've tried many different oil cleansers, manuka honey, oats to exfoliate etc for now I'm pretty good just using water. Sometimes I used diluted apple cider vinegar to help replace the acid. When I was using other natural products it never made my acne better or worse and I never had any reactions better or worse, and either has just water I strongly feel that for myself 'topicals' aren't my answer although a given, I have never even tried the regime.. maybe that will work haha but my skin has been affected from the scars and whatnot of acne for so long I'd hate to age and worsen it with chemicals. I've used lots of other things too like tea tree and jojoba and rose oil etc

I actually might incorporate grape seed once again, just like a little bit. It never did harm and it can really only do good I suppose..at least for me type thing.

As for my diet the past three years I've been eliminating foods etc to find out if I had allergies but to be honest it good to the point I was only eating 3 particular foods a day so I realized no food is altering my acne. I never ever drink or eat refined sugar I can honestly say I haven't for at least 8 years. I also don't eat junk food and haven't for that long as well. I guess I'm pretty much just vegetables, fruit, vege/fruit juices, healthy oils like coconut oil, actual drinking coconuts, all organic meats (like salmon and chicken), I do eat organic steel cut oats with organic almond milk. I actually haven't had cows milk for years and quite literally have never consumed it ever in my life as, as a child I hated the taste immensely and avoided it completely. I also don't eat cheese or anything like that. But i've noticed I can be slack if I want with my food because even with celebrations I've consumed a lot of junk and nothing happened to my acne. I'm quite saddened as I have been on my healthy diet for 3 years (and also incorporated things like lemon water, acv, lots of water, herbal teas, 30min walks a day in fresh air, ginger root, sauerkraut, bone broths, probiotics, kefir etc all for months at a time) I also take zinc in powder form, magnesium and vit D just in case. Haven't ever seen one difference in my acne. But my greatest annoyance is, I also get more than enough sleep, I deep breathe, de-stress, do yoga, don't use chemicals, the air I breathe is as fresh as it gets, I don't pick, I've had all possible tests for vitamin and mineral deficiencies, allergies, liver, thyroid, etc etc all coming back healthier than ever. I get my sun, I use blue/red light therapy I even fast here and there, I don't have any signs or symptoms of anything ever haha...still the acne is here and it's just so by the clock hormonal but what's most frustrating is not that my acne is still here but that all that I've been doing is 'suppose' to affect the body is a good way and really nothing has changed in me I don't feel better I don't look better my hormones haven't changed for the better, so I dunno. To be honest I don't care anymore, I haven't given up but it's not worth even bothering a second thought on during the day anymore.

Sorry for the wall of words was just explaining what I've been doing I guess haha.

I'd definitely suggest grape seed to anyone though, I'm still glad I tried it it's just a really good thing to use I think :)