Notifications
Clear all

One Month After Subcision

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 09/09/2012 4:16 pm

So I had a subcision done by a reputable dermatologist last month. I didn't hear the popping noise people were talking about but the doc told me he was using different angles to break down the scar tissue. Forward one monh later right now and I see not much improvement. Like under 10% improvement. So does it take more one round or should I wait longer?

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 09/10/2012 7:49 am

So I had a subcision done by a reputable dermatologist last month. I didn't hear the popping noise people were talking about but the doc told me he was using different angles to break down the scar tissue. Forward one monh later right now and I see not much improvement. Like under 10% improvement. So does it take more one round or should I wait longer?

It took four rounds of subcision in addition to other scar reduction procedures (TCA Cross, laser treatments, dermarolling, chemical peels, etc.) for me to get to the point that I am now satisfied with my complexion.

You may need a combination of procedures plus the benefit of time - the collagen remodeling process can take months to complete.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 10/03/2012 9:21 am

Mr Matt:

Well I want a second procedure in December but I don't know if I should get a second subcision or laser treatment. I'm not sure if I want to use the same derm because its a long drive.

It took four rounds of subcision in addition to other scar reduction procedures (TCA Cross, laser treatments, dermarolling, chemical peels, etc.) for me to get to the point that I am now satisfied with my complexion.

You may need a combination of procedures plus the benefit of time - the collagen remodeling process can take months to complete.

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 10/03/2012 5:12 pm

Mr Matt:

Well I want a second procedure in December but I don't know if I should get a second subcision or laser treatment. I'm not sure if I want to use the same derm because its a long drive.

Personally, I found that subcision coupled with dermarolling was far more powerful than laser. I had a total of five laser sessions done. The first four were pre-subcision and did absolutely nothing for my scarring (Laser Genesis).

I would encourage you to do your research and make your final decision based upon what you discover.

It's definitely a journey that we're all on together....

Matt

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 10/04/2012 8:21 am

Sorry to hijack this thread, but Mr. Matt - have you noticed any negative effects on your skin now that it's been a year or more (I assume) since your laser treatments. That's the most terrifying part I think - all the reports of delayed problems; fat loss, elasticity loss, scarring etc....

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 10/04/2012 12:17 pm

Mr Matt

I had suspicions laser treatments don't work. For derma rolling did you did it yourself or did a derm do it? I've tried it a few times but the prickling sensation was annoying. I'd definitely would need numbing.

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 10/04/2012 6:49 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread, but Mr. Matt - have you noticed any negative effects on your skin now that it's been a year or more (I assume) since your laser treatments. That's the most terrifying part I think - all the reports of delayed problems; fat loss, elasticity loss, scarring etc....

I believe this November will mark the three anniversary since my Pearl Fractional Laser treatment. I did not experience any complications from the treatment - it was a painful process to go through. Getting this type of laser treatment was like having hot bacon grease being splashed on my face for about 30 - 45 minutes.

The net result was that it really evened out my skin tone but I'm not convinced that it did much for my scarring, though.

Having been through five laser treatments, I've come to the conclusion that I had the best results through:

1) subcision coupled with dermarolling every six weeks (subcision with suctionning yielded the most spectacular of all four subcision treatments that I underwent).

2) using topicals (Retin-A and Ester C)

3) chemical peels (lactic and glycolic acid peels) and TCA peels. These will soak into your skin, create an injury, and induce collagen development.

4) wearing sunscreen everyday

One other thought: you have to be consistent. I've dermarolled every six weeks for over two years now and done chemical peels on a regular basis. All of this combined with the subcision treatments, proved to be a powerful and effective combination for me.

If you have rolling scars, I would encourage you to look at subcision and dermarolling (collagen induction therapy) before spending hundreds if not thousands on laser treatments.

Matt

Mr Matt

I had suspicions laser treatments don't work. For derma rolling did you did it yourself or did a derm do it? I've tried it a few times but the prickling sensation was annoying. I'd definitely would need numbing.

I'm pretty cost conscious so I did the dermarolling myself. I use a 5% Licodaine ointment that helps reduce the pain from the needles, but it does not eliminate it entirely.

For me, undergoing the pain of dermarolling was better than undergoing the pain of looking at myself in the mirror and not liking what I saw. It was a good 'trade off' for me. It's not for the faint of heart - I use a 2 cm roller which goes in fairly deep.

Matt

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 10/05/2012 8:09 am

Thanks for all the info again Mr. Matt. I think it's awesome that you still spend the time here to help/inspire other people. I want to try dermarolling. Although people say there is no medical literature backing it up, it does seem to be the same thing as lasers - just without the risk of thermal damage.

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 07/06/2013 5:37 pm

Hey I'm the OP. I wanted to update this in case anyone was looking into subcision. DO IT. It's the best thing for depressed scars. After 10 months I'm seeing more of 22 percent improvement. I'm going to get a second subcision with laser to smooh everything out. Find a derm or surgeon and if some say they don't want to and try to sell you other products like only lasers keep looking until you find a skilled derm.

Another thing...please dont let his problem consume your life. Find hobbies and goals that will improve yourself. Be happy. It will get better. This is coming from someone who had acne for 10 years with 30+ scars. Good luck everyone.

From my iPhone. Excuse any typos.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 07/08/2013 8:39 am

Thanks for the update - that's great! Where on your face are your scars that you had subcized?

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 07/11/2013 2:41 pm

Both cheeks. Click on my name for old post with pics