There Is Hope!

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 09/09/2012 2:51 am

Hi Guys

I just stopped back by this board and was so upset to see so many distraught topic titles.

I just want to let you know that there is hope, I understand exactly how you feel, it is AWFUL to have such bad skin...it affects everything you think and do.

This was me back in November 2011

P1010202.jpgP1010199.jpg

And this is me today

P1010960copy.jpg

P1010962copy.jpg

My course ended in April 2012, and since then the pigmentation has pretty much gone

This was my log - please do read it if you are thinking all hope is lost or are scared of taking the plunge and going for accutane. I am here to help if you have any questions.

http://www.acne.org/...306982-my-face/

Good luck everyone and keep going, please please don't give up, there is hope!!

Ducky1210 liked
MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 09/09/2012 6:27 am

Wow :) Those are great results! Congrats on clear skin :)

Great reminder to everyone to hang in there and still have hope. It can be easy to fall in to negative thinking patterns when dealing with acne but I think it's a good idea for everyone to try and think at least a little more positive. It improves how you feel and improves your outlook on everything.

MemberMember
(@sonrisafingida)

Posted : 09/09/2012 6:28 am

wonderful *-*

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 09/09/2012 9:53 am

ps - please ignore the vivid blue under eyes... this was first thing this morning sans make up ;p x x

MemberMember
(@kault34gmail-com)

Posted : 09/09/2012 5:07 pm

Gives me hope! I'm currently on day 73, and reading through your log, it appears as though you had very similar skin at around the same time... largely just widespread pigmentation, especially on the cheeks, and the occasional lesions. That's good! Out of curiosity, is there anything you did during/after your treatment to deal with pigmentation? I noticed that towards the end of your log you mentioned your derm prescribing you some Retin-A, do you think it was a help?

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 09/09/2012 6:05 pm

Gives me hope! I'm currently on day 73, and reading through your log, it appears as though you had very similar skin at around the same time... largely just widespread pigmentation, especially on the cheeks, and the occasional lesions. That's good! Out of curiosity, is there anything you did during/after your treatment to deal with pigmentation? I noticed that towards the end of your log you mentioned your derm prescribing you some Retin-A, do you think it was a help?

Hi there,

Well done on your course so far, keep going!

I actually never used the Retin-A... I finished the accutane course right before going to Vietnam and was worried the cream would make my skin super super sensitive to the sun... and then as things were going well when I got back I never felt the need to use it!

I haven't used anything at all apart from moisturiser, I was going to but a) I'm lazy and b) I was too scared to use new products on my skin incase something upset the balance and the spots returned! There is nothing better than time... but as you can see I've only been off it 5 months or so and my pigmentation has nearly all gone!

x x x

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 09/09/2012 8:28 pm

WOW your skin looks amazing now! Congrats!!! :D

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 09/11/2012 7:39 am

WOW your skin looks amazing now! Congrats!!! biggrin.png

thanks blush.png x x

MemberMember
(@picklesmcgee11)

Posted : 09/11/2012 8:59 am

Wow thatnk you SO much for posting this!! It's hard to find people on here who have completed accutane. I am getting ready to start month 4 and I can't wait for it to be over. But seeing results like that makes me think I really need to just stick it out. How long were you on for? I'm going to check out your log but in case it's not posted in there... did you have a lot of side-effects and if so, have they all gone away? How long did it take for them to go away? Thanks again. Your face looks beyond amazing!!

MemberMember
(@ledzep)

Posted : 09/12/2012 3:55 am

This is hugely inspiring, good post :)

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 09/12/2012 5:44 am

Wow thatnk you SO much for posting this!! It's hard to find people on here who have completed accutane. I am getting ready to start month 4 and I can't wait for it to be over. But seeing results like that makes me think I really need to just stick it out. How long were you on for? I'm going to check out your log but in case it's not posted in there... did you have a lot of side-effects and if so, have they all gone away? How long did it take for them to go away? Thanks again. Your face looks beyond amazing!!

I was on it for about 4.5 months I think... I only just reached my minimum cumulative dose, I wanted to carry on to reach the max dose but I went over to Vietnam and was worried about remembering the drugs and the sun and stuff. But luckily it worked out fine anyway!

I was really lucky with my side effects, got a bit of the usual dry skin around nose and lips etc but nothing awful at all... feel like a bit of an accutane cheat!! Good luck with your course how far through to your minimum dose are you? x x

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 09/12/2012 9:08 am

Great results !!

What you mean pretty much gonee :S , I'm only in like my mouth 2 of accutane since I re-started but I'm pretty much clear, exept for a few pimpels and a small nodule , but my face is like covered in red marks , and if you still have little red mark from april I wonder how much will it take for mine to go away: (

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 09/12/2012 9:23 am

It does take a wee while but you'll get there... lovely clear skin is ahead! x

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 01/21/2013 12:58 pm

Just thought I'd stop by and see how you are all doing? If anyone who is thinking of going on accutane has any questions feel free to ask me :) x x

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:13 pm

So happy for you. At what point did you stop breaking out. I am about to go into my fourth month of a five months course and i am still breaking out in small bumps

Congrats again!

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 02/11/2013 6:04 am

Hi there!

If you look at the charts on my log you can see it was about day 100 i stopped breaking out, so about 3/4 months really... but I probably still had bumps, the pigmentation took a hell of a lot longer!

have a look, I have lots of charts and pictures showing my progress!!

Best of luck!! x x

MemberMember
(@blabla05)

Posted : 02/11/2013 6:23 am

You give me hope. I will sleep much easier tonight

You give me hope. I will sleep much easier tonight

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 04/24/2013 4:17 pm

OH MY GOSH I'M ONE YEAR CLEAR TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it.. I really can't... when you take a look at my original photos, I really thought I was going to be scarred for life. I just want all you lovely people to know that there is hope. :)

I have had literally just one... ONE.... spot in 365 days, and that was the teensiest blemish I wouldn't have even counted it as a spot back in the acne days (when I used to keep a chart!!)... it is crazy. Perhaps one day when my hormones decide they are fed up again this will return but for now... I am overjoyed.

Please if anyone needs anyone to talk to, advice, or anything feel free to send me a message or take a look at my accutane log/diary (link below). I KNOW how hard this can be.

keep going guys, please remember you are all beautiful x x x x

MemberMember
(@blabla05)

Posted : 04/25/2013 2:02 am

how come you did not scar? mine acne is clearing but i have heaps of hyperpigmentations and some scars:( also were you on birthcontrol? what happened when u stopp birth control?

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 04/25/2013 6:27 pm

how come you did not scar? mine acne is clearing but i have heaps of hyperpigmentations and some scars:( also were you on birthcontrol? what happened when u stopp birth control?

I did get massive amounts of hyperpigmentation, some of it faintly visible on my cheeks now a year later, but it does fade... time is the best thing for that!

I'm very lucky I have no pitting scars... I'm not sure why this is... I don't think I did anything different to anyone else, trying not to pick /pop too much, and making sure I used moisturiser every day (cetaphil was my fave)

I stopped yasmin on day 19 of accutane, I knew it was making my spots even worse (see pics!!) so I decided to stop using any hormonal birth control at all.... and I still don't...

x x

MemberMember
(@blabla05)

Posted : 04/26/2013 5:04 pm

I did get massive amounts of hyperpigmentation, some of it faintly visible on my cheeks now a year later, but it does fade... time is the best thing for that!

I'm very lucky I have no pitting scars... I'm not sure why this is... I don't think I did anything different to anyone else, trying not to pick /pop too much, and making sure I used moisturiser every day (cetaphil was my fave)

I stopped yasmin on day 19 of accutane, I knew it was making my spots even worse (see pics!!) so I decided to stop using any hormonal birth control at all.... and I still don't...

x x

I really want to stop birth control pills, im in month 5 i have a few months to go, if i stop now will i break out

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 04/26/2013 9:41 pm

I have a similar question...My acne was controlled with Yaz for about 4 yrs then I stopped taking it last spring because I thought I had outgrown my acne (I was 29). I apparently had not and all hell broke loose. I had horrendous breakouts, started back on Yaz but still couldn't get my skin under control with topicals, antibiotics or Yaz. The body acne was really bad. So I am now on Accutane at 30. whistling.gif( My insurance does not cover birth control so I am spending a ton of money out of pocket for it each month and would love to stop taking it but I am scared my skin will flip out again. I have been on Accutane for almost 9 weeks now. Did you have any flare up of your acne when you stopped your birth control?

MemberMember
(@auguriesofinnocence)

Posted : 04/26/2013 9:48 pm

I got similar results from taking yaz and anti-DHT supplements. Id recommend people try that instead the risks are much lower than anything associated with accutane.

btw yes your skin does look good but if your acne is hormonal it will eventually come back.

Hi Guys

I just stopped back by this board and was so upset to see so many distraught topic titles.

I just want to let you know that there is hope, I understand exactly how you feel, it is AWFUL to have such bad skin...it affects everything you think and do.

This was me back in November 2011

P1010202.jpg P1010199.jpg

And this is me today

P1010960copy.jpg

P1010962copy.jpg

My course ended in April 2012, and since then the pigmentation has pretty much gone

This was my log - please do read it if you are thinking all hope is lost or are scared of taking the plunge and going for accutane. I am here to help if you have any questions.

http://www.acne.org/...306982-my-face/

Good luck everyone and keep going, please please don't give up, there is hope!!

MemberMember
(@quiescence)

Posted : 04/27/2013 5:31 am

I got similar results from taking yaz and anti-DHT supplements. Id recommend people try that instead the risks are much lower than anything associated with accutane.

btw yes your skin does look good but if your acne is hormonal it will eventually come back.

Hi there, haha thanks for the confidence boost wacko.png

I have a similar question...My acne was controlled with Yaz for about 4 yrs then I stopped taking it last spring because I thought I had outgrown my acne (I was 29). I apparently had not and all hell broke loose. I had horrendous breakouts, started back on Yaz but still couldn't get my skin under control with topicals, antibiotics or Yaz. The body acne was really bad. So I am now on Accutane at 30. whistling.gif( My insurance does not cover birth control so I am spending a ton of money out of pocket for it each month and would love to stop taking it but I am scared my skin will flip out again. I have been on Accutane for almost 9 weeks now. Did you have any flare up of your acne when you stopped your birth control?

I really want to stop birth control pills, im in month 5 i have a few months to go, if i stop now will i break out

For me I could tell that yaz was actually making my skin worse, Birth Control is free in the UK and is of course a handy easy way to stop pregnancy, so if it wasn't making my skin worse I would have maybe continued on it throughout my accutane course and possibly beyond.

I appreciate the risks of accutane and no one takes this on lightly, however the fact for me was that hormone pills made me worse, my body was telling me to stop putting fake hormones into my body, and therefore I stopped taking them, and have continued for 1 year post accutane without pumping any hormones into my body at all..... and have never felt better.

I believe the years spent taking cocktails of ridiculous amounts of different hormone pills, creams, antibiotics, and drugs is just as bad, if not worse for the body as a short course of this controversial drug, meaning you can leave that all behind and let your body settle into a balance once again.

Just my opinion :)

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 04/27/2013 3:53 pm

I don't really know what to think about the issue of "hormonal acne." I've heard a lot of people say that many people (especially women) have hormone imbalances/sensitivies that trigger acne and Accutane does not address these (or can even worsen these issues) and that the acne will ultimately return. On the flip side, I've heard the argument that all acne is essentially hormonal, that's why we didn't start breaking out until sometime around puberty (I was about 20, always the late bloomer, ha). I don't understand why Accutane causes complete remission for some and others have their acne return soon after stopping treatment. I also don't understand why some people have minimal side effects and some people have horrendous, long-lasting effects (assuming the medication was prescribed and taken responsibly, of course). If anyone has any solid answers, I would definitely be interested in hearing them. I think everyone has to find what is best for them and their bodies and be okay with that and we need to try to be supportive of each other. I am currently on Accutane, beginning my third month and I'll admit this drug scares the daylights out of me. I agonized over whether or not to take it and may not even finish my course but at thirty years old, I felt like I was out of options and acne was destroying my skin and my self confidence.