Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glori27

27 Starting Accutane....nervous!

Im a 27 year old female that has battled moderate to mild acne for approximately 10 years. My acne is strictly hormonal and stress induced! After 8 years of using oral and topical antibiotics I have had enough. Quick list of every item I have used...erythromycin, doxycycline, minocycline, solodyn, duricef, duac gel, proactive, every natural remedy available, led pens....and the list goes on.

I recently was married in June, and I had to battle acne right up to my wedding day. I cant tell you how many tears were shed over the years over my stubborn acne. My acne was so bad on my chin a few years ago my dermatologist tested my for staph infection....gross! Acne ruins peoples' self esteem! No one with clear skin understands what its like to live with acne.

I finally have decided a last ditch effort to fix my acne once and for all by starting a course of accutane. So....I am totally freaking out! Im 5'3" and 105 lbs, and taking 30 mg twice daily. Im looking for some guidance, because i don't know if what im experiecing is normal.

Im on my 9th day, and I have the typical dry lips and dry face...however my face is still really shiny. Here's what is really bothering me, ive always had plugged pores that you could hardly see (never really bothered me). In the areas where these plugged pores and blue dots, which my derm says are deep blackheads, exist welts are forming and starting to look like a hive rash.

I'm so upset, because I had clear skin prior to starting accutane due to my antibiotics kicling in finally and wedding stress was over.

Please any advice/guidance would help. I hope I am in right place to blog my journey! I don't have any support from family because they hate that I am jeopordizing my health while on this powerful drug. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Glori27

50% of people that start accutane get an IB (initial breakout) I wouldn't worry i hope your accutane course clears you for life !! good luck! :)

And most peoples families are the same thinking it's no big deal or your over reacting but unless you've had it consistently throughout your life you could not possibly know the draining and emotional psychological effect that it brings ! worst disease ever ! :D

50% of people that start accutane get an IB (initial breakout) I wouldn't worry i hope your accutane course clears you for life !! good luck! smile.png

And most peoples families are the same thinking it's no big deal or your over reacting but unless you've had it consistently throughout your life you could not possibly know the draining and emotional psychological effect that it brings ! worst disease ever ! biggrin.png

Thank you so much for your reply! It really helps to know people are in the same boat!

I've been on Spironolactone for over a year to help hormonal acne and it worked like a charm, but my acne is back an I'm wondering if I should ask about accutane. I've struggled with it for about 4 years and I"m so tired of having to worry about it. Keep me posted!

Im a 27 year old female that has battled moderate to mild acne for approximately 10 years. My acne is strictly hormonal and stress induced! After 8 years of using oral and topical antibiotics I have had enough. Quick list of every item I have used...erythromycin, doxycycline, minocycline, solodyn, duricef, duac gel, proactive, every natural remedy available, led pens....and the list goes on.

I recently was married in June, and I had to battle acne right up to my wedding day. I cant tell you how many tears were shed over the years over my stubborn acne. My acne was so bad on my chin a few years ago my dermatologist tested my for staph infection....gross! Acne ruins peoples' self esteem! No one with clear skin understands what its like to live with acne.

I finally have decided a last ditch effort to fix my acne once and for all by starting a course of accutane. So....I am totally freaking out! Im 5'3" and 105 lbs, and taking 30 mg twice daily. Im looking for some guidance, because i don't know if what im experiecing is normal.

Im on my 9th day, and I have the typical dry lips and dry face...however my face is still really shiny. Here's what is really bothering me, ive always had plugged pores that you could hardly see (never really bothered me). In the areas where these plugged pores and blue dots, which my derm says are deep blackheads, exist welts are forming and starting to look like a hive rash.

I'm so upset, because I had clear skin prior to starting accutane due to my antibiotics kicling in finally and wedding stress was over.

Please any advice/guidance would help. I hope I am in right place to blog my journey! I don't have any support from family because they hate that I am jeopordizing my health while on this powerful drug. Thanks for reading!

I've been dealing with acne for 14 years and I wish I had tried accutane years ago. I will be turning 30 at the end of the year. I've always had mild to moderate acne up until two years ago when I would go through severe acne phases and I just had enough of it. I didn't want to spend my early 30s worrying about what my face looked like the last time I looked in the mirror. I have one more month and I will finish the course. My skin has never been so clear.

Just wanted to share a few things about my experience. I had a horrible initial breakout which did not bother me so much because it meant the medication was working. It was really bad for the first three months. It seemed like over a course of a few days going into the fourth month that I began to see great results.

I always tried to drink a gallon of water a day, but I knew it was good for my liver and it would prevent the headaches some people talk about. I tried to get in a good cardio workout 3 to 4 days a week. I also started eating healthier and my cholesterol/triglyceride levels have never been so low. I even lost 10 lbs.

The second response is right by saying some people just don't understand what it is like to deal with this disease and its lasting effects it can have on people. I was surprised to have come across this website and see so many people struggle with something that I always felt so alone in dealing with. However, I did not let other peoples bad experiences dictate my own. I had some bad days, but I always tried to maintain a positive attitude. Good luck to you.

I've been dealing with acne for 14 years and I wish I had tried accutane years ago. I will be turning 30 at the end of the year. I've always had mild to moderate acne up until two years ago when I would go through severe acne phases and I just had enough of it. I didn't want to spend my early 30s worrying about what my face looked like the last time I looked in the mirror. I have one more month and I will finish the course. My skin has never been so clear.

Just wanted to share a few things about my experience. I had a horrible initial breakout which did not bother me so much because it meant the medication was working. It was really bad for the first three months. It seemed like over a course of a few days going into the fourth month that I began to see great results.

I always tried to drink a gallon of water a day, but I knew it was good for my liver and it would prevent the headaches some people talk about. I tried to get in a good cardio workout 3 to 4 days a week. I also started eating healthier and my cholesterol/triglyceride levels have never been so low. I even lost 10 lbs.

The second response is right by saying some people just don't understand what it is like to deal with this disease and its lasting effects it can have on people. I was surprised to have come across this website and see so many people struggle with something that I always felt so alone in dealing with. However, I did not let other peoples bad experiences dictate my own. I had some bad days, but I always tried to maintain a positive attitude. Good luck to you.

Robert,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Its posts like yours that helped me talk myself into starting the medication. I hope I have the results that you have while staying healthy on the medication. Were there any foods that you avoid to help keep your levels stable?

Thank You!!

Robert,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. Its posts like yours that helped me talk myself into starting the medication. I hope I have the results that you have while staying healthy on the medication. Were there any foods that you avoid to help keep your levels stable?

Thank You!!

Well I've never been a very healthy eater, but my dermatologist would not increase the dosage until I could get my blood levels in check. During the first three months, my triglyceride levels were around 240-280 and he would not increase the dosage. After the third month, I changed my eating habits. I cut down on red meat, eggs, milk (not a big milk drinker anyway), tortillas, pork, fried foods, pizza, soda, and other sugars. I started eating more salads throughout the week. I started eating not to get full, but satisfied. I also had a snack and big meal here and there. I also drank A LOT of water during the last few months.

My triglycerides dropped to 106. He increased my dosage to 60mg. I got my results for this month and they were 116, a healthy level. I tried to convince him to let me stay on it for another month, but he said my body has been very sensitive to the medication and that it has work very well. I just wanted to be on 60 mg for 3 months, but that's just me trying to eliminate this acne for good!