Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gatorbite35

Alternating Facial Cleansers?

I was thinking about using multiple facial cleansers as part of my regimen. For example, I would use a Bperoxide for a couple days and the switch to salicyclic acid for another two and Triclosan for a few days and so on... Or alternate day and night rather than day to day.

Is this something to consider?

Edited by gatorbite35

In my opinion, I think that would probably just irritate your skin.

A gentle cleanser would be best but if you really want to try those, maybe just pick one, say the BP one, and use it at night and alternate with a gentle cleanser in the morning. If your skin is handling that ok without irritation or making acne worse, then you could try just the BP one twice a day. If using the BP cleanser once a day is irritating your skin, maybe you could try the process with one of the other cleansers you mentioned, or just stick to a gentle cleanser and look into getting a topical cream/gel you can use after cleansing. Things like salicylic acid and BP are more effective when they can stay on the skin - which is why a topical cream/gel would be better - if they're in a cleanser they may still help but you're washing it off pretty soon after having on your skin.

Hope you find something that works for you :)

Guest T.M.

I've never really used a medicated cleanser. From what I've read for BHAs or BP to work its better staying on the skin rather than getting washed off right away. I'd rather use a gentle cleanser and apply a BP or BHA lotion after.

I personally wouldn't switch from wash to wash after a few days as your not really gonna know whats working for you or what might be causing irritation.

Gator,

Pretty sure I understand your thinking because I have also considered doing what you indicate (i.e. switching cleansers every few days). Seemed that when I started using a new cleanser I would have "good skin" for a spell, so why not change it every few days so I am always in that "good skin" time zone?

I have done a lot of screwing around with alternating my cleanser use between once daily, twice daily, add second cleanser, etc. I did not have success doing this. Finally I came to the realization that I was not succeeding because I always chose products that either irritated the skin, dryed out the skin, or clogged the skin. So for about 6 months I have been on the path of "gentler is better" and sorting out what agrees with my skin and what doesn't. For example, my skin is too sensitive to handle cleansers with BP, SA, or SLS but it tolerates sulfur cleansers really well. The answer will vary by person and there is no cookbook for this stuff. I have been washing twice daily with a very gentle Dickinson Witch Hazel Foaming Face Wash and at night I wash a second time with sulfur based cleanser. It is the most non-red, non-irritated my skin has been in 30 years and I am having few/no breakouts. When I look in the mirror I can just see my skin saying "thank you"!

Bottom line, I don't think switching the cleansers alot is a good method. I recommend going gentle and using a systematic approach to figure out which type of medicated acne cleanser agees with you. Then adjust the frequency of use for the medicated cleanser accordingly.

Edited by torquemonster

In my opinion, I think that would probably just irritate your skin.

A gentle cleanser would be best but if you really want to try those, maybe just pick one, say the BP one, and use it at night and alternate with a gentle cleanser in the morning. If your skin is handling that ok without irritation or making acne worse, then you could try just the BP one twice a day. If using the BP cleanser once a day is irritating your skin, maybe you could try the process with one of the other cleansers you mentioned, or just stick to a gentle cleanser and look into getting a topical cream/gel you can use after cleansing. Things like salicylic acid and BP are more effective when they can stay on the skin - which is why a topical cream/gel would be better - if they're in a cleanser they may still help but you're washing it off pretty soon after having on your skin.

Hope you find something that works for you smile.png

I've never really used a medicated cleanser. From what I've read for BHAs or BP to work its better staying on the skin rather than getting washed off right away. I'd rather use a gentle cleanser and apply a BP or BHA lotion after.

I personally wouldn't switch from wash to wash after a few days as your not really gonna know whats working for you or what might be causing irritation.

Gator,

Pretty sure I understand your thinking because I have also considered doing what you indicate (i.e. switching cleansers every few days). Seemed that when I started using a new cleanser I would have "good skin" for a spell, so why not change it every few days so I am always in that "good skin" time zone?

I have done a lot of screwing around with alternating my cleanser use between once daily, twice daily, add second cleanser, etc. I did not have success doing this. Finally I came to the realization that I was not succeeding because I always chose products that either irritated the skin, dryed out the skin, or clogged the skin. So for about 6 months I have been on the path of "gentler is better" and sorting out what agrees with my skin and what doesn't. For example, my skin is too sensitive to handle cleansers with BP, SA, or SLS but it tolerates sulfur cleansers really well. The answer will vary by person and there is no cookbook for this stuff. I have been washing twice daily with a very gentle Dickinson Witch Hazel Foaming Face Wash and at night I wash a second time with sulfur based cleanser. It is the most non-red, non-irritated my skin has been in 30 years and I am having few/no breakouts. When I look in the mirror I can just see my skin saying "thank you"!

Bottom line, I don't think switching the cleansers alot is a good method. I recommend going gentle and using a systematic approach to figure out which type of medicated acne cleanser agees with you. Then adjust the frequency of use for the medicated cleanser accordingly.

SAcid doesn't seem to work for me. BP cleansers used to work for me, but then i started to break out. Triclosan seem to be k, but I'm not sure anymore. I actually have shied away from Gentle cleansers b/c I never saw the point of it. It doesn't kill the bacteria on my face right?

However, I think I'm going to try gentle cleanser during the morning and use triclosan during the night.

Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate the help.

I wouldn't recommend switching and using different cleansers. Whats more important is finding one that doesn't irritate and is gentle. SA or BP cleansers really have no purpose since you immediately wash it off. Last thing we want to do is cause any irritation to our skin, that only make things worst. I personally just use Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser. Super gentle, no fragrance, and effectively cleanses face. Nothing more nothing less.

I feel the same way about unmedicated cleansers. While they may be gentle, they don't treat acne at all. I had a lot of success with Oxy Max Face Wash containing 10% BP. Even though it does get washed down the drain, it still disinfects the skin and cleared me up tremendously, with less side effects than when I was using a BP cream. The fact that nothing was sitting on my face all day helped my skin normalize and breathe.