Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brain85

Exfoliating With White Sugar And Water?

Lately I've been exfoliating with a microfiber towel, but I'm pretty sure it's too rough on my skin. A few days later I'll get a bunch of whiteheads.

Is a gentle exfoliation with sugar a good and safe way to exfoliate? I plan to do this weekly. Or do the sugar granules get caught in your pores and cause even more problems?

And do we use brown or white sugar?

I just want to use one of these with water only...not with olive oil, honey, etc

White granulated sugar with water mixed into a paste is good. Very gentle and works well. Start with a low amount of sugar, and add more as you go on. Start gentle then progress to more. Light, circular motions. Moisturize after. I love jojoba oil.

I've heard white sugar is rougher than brown sugar. Is this true?

And people always say don't use st ives apricot scrub...wouldn't sugar granules be similar?

I've heard white sugar is rougher than brown sugar. Is this true?

And people always say don't use st ives apricot scrub...wouldn't sugar granules be similar?

Sugar itself is smooth enough that it is not harsh.

Apricot scrubs are made of crushed apricot kernels. There isn't a smooth way to crush those kernels, so the kernel bits have tons of sharp edges. St. Ive's scrub was originally designed for exfoliating calluses on feet. They market it now for the face but it is way too harsh.

Have you tried exfoliating with sugar before? Any negatives?

I have. Twice. It's very gentle.no negatives.

Tried this last night and made my face feel really smooth, but I woke up this morning with a ton of flakes. Does this mean I over exfoliated? Because isn't exfoliation supposed to get rid of flakes?

I wouldn't recommend exfoliating with sugar.. I myself have done it a couple times. but really.. the granules are just to rough on your skin. and can increase irritation and end up scratching up your skin. also if you have existing acne, it could disturb the "pimple" and cause a spread of the bacteria, and being that your skin is wet and so your pores are open, the bacteria will form another pimple. I'd recommend clearing uo your acne before you look into exfoliation. I use the clarasonic mia, which works really well but it uis a tad costly. so opt for a light exfoliator you should be able to get at the drugstore.