Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gingergirl22

Clearasil Ultra Line Of 2% Salicylic Acid Leave-Ons

There appear to be three formulas with 2% Salicylic Acid and I want to try one. I would appreciate your reviews if you've tried any of these. The three I am trying to choose from are:

Ultra Rapid Action Vanishing Treatment Cream

Ultra Rapid Action Treatment Gel

Ultra Overnight Face Lotion

I intend to use it overnight only.

Here's a link to the Clearasil site page for this product line: http://www.clearasil...clearasil-ultra

Edited by gingergirl22

The Ultra Overnight Face Lotion was decent.

But after more research, I am now switching to a better product. For BHA to really be effective, it needs to be formulated at a pH of 4 or lower. I could not find the pH of any of the Clearasil products so I gave up. Given that the Clearasil brand tries to do everything and anything, I don't have a lot of faith that they took a lot of care in their formulation.

Exfoliating Power of AHAs and BHAs

The acids commonly used in skin care treatment (AHAs, BHAs,TCA) are all pH dependent. The lower the pH, the more effective the acid is on the skin. It will work better, penetrate better and deeper, with a more concentrated effect. It can also be more irritating, because it is more “powerful.â€

When an acid product is formulated with a pH below 2.0, all of its acid percentage is essentially “free†– or available to work effectively on the skin.

For example:

A 20% lactic acid product at a pH of 1.9 has 20% of the lactic acid “free†or available to work on your skin. This is referred to as the “Free Acid Value†or FAV.

As pH is raised closer to 7.0, less acid is free and the acid's effectiveness is weakened. So for a true understanding of the strength of your acid product, you need to know the acid percentage in the product, AND the pH.

AHAs (glycolic, lactic, mandelic, malic, citric, tartaric, etc.) are basically ineffective over 4.0 pH. To exfoliate the surface of the skin, the pH must be below 4.0. and the product percentage must be over 5%. 5% to 8% with a pH of 3.0 - 4.0 is the MINIMUM level for a daily use AHA; this will not treat scars or rebuild collagen.

BHAs (salicylic acid) are also basically ineffective over 4.0 pH. To exfoliate the skin, and unclog pores, the pH must be below 4.0 and the product percentage must be over 1%. (1% to 2% with a pH of 3.0 - 4.0 is the MINIMUM level for a daily use BHA. Skin with very clogged pores may need a higher concentration, up to 5%, and lower pH.

A pH test strip or litmus strip will give you the pH. (buy some made with a lower pH range, not all strips go from 1 – 14) Strips will not be as accurate as a true electronic pH gage, but for home use it will be close enough.

Edited by Green Gables

I emailed Clearasil asking about the pH of those products as I was wondering that too. Let's hope I hear back. I suspect it is 4.0, since that is the safest level that will still be effective.

I'll be curious to hear about how you like the I Feel Pretty product.

For some reason, my skin never reacted to salicylic acid. Benzoyl peroxide had a much more visible affect for me, although it dried out my skin like crazy!

Yulia))

I emailed Clearasil asking about the pH of those products as I was wondering that too. Let's hope I hear back. I suspect it is 4.0, since that is the safest level that will still be effective.

Clearasil did get back to me and provided me with a link to the MSDS for their products. It's the parent company, Reckitt Benckiser's MSDS index of products. Scroll down to Clearasil and find your product and click on it. Section 9 within each contains the pH of the product. As we expected, the salicylic acid leave-ons are formulated to around 4.0. There's much more information about the ingredients on theses MSDS sheets besides the pH level in case you are interested.

http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/US/

I highly recommend Lumiplexion's SA. I do not know the PH level of them, but if you emailed Pamela, I am sure she could tell you. They come in three strengths. You do not want to start at 2% if the product is concentrated. I believe hers are 0.5, 1 & 2% but, again, she could tell you. I use her #3.

Clearasil did get back to me and provided me with a link to the MSDS for their products. It's the parent company, Reckitt Benckiser's MSDS index of products. Scroll down to Clearasil and find your product and click on it. Section 9 within each contains the pH of the product. As we expected, the salicylic acid leave-ons are formulated to around 4.0. There's much more information about the ingredients on theses MSDS sheets besides the pH level in case you are interested.

I will not be using the product I mentioned in the quote above nor dealing with that "company" again. Extremely unprofessional experience.

However, I have started using a 5% BHA from Diana Yvonne (http://www.dianayvonne.com/product/CSE69_2/Salicylic-Acid-5-2-oz-19-pH.html) which seems to be working quite well. I'll have to update you when I've used it for a few more days, but it's starting to loosen the sebaceous filaments on my nose and cheek area. This is formulated at 1.9 pH so it is quite a bit more potent than anything from Clearasil. It burns a bit and I have to neutralize it with cold water after about 6 minutes.

It seems that Clearasil's products add so many fillers that it prevents the salicylic acid from doing its magic.

I wish she'd list the ingredients in her products.

Let me know which product and if I have it, I will provide the ingredients.

Thanks for the offer, but she'll have to list her ingredients up front before I ever purchase her products.

Thanks for the offer, but she'll have to list her ingredients up front before I ever purchase her products.

That is your choice. She does run her business different than others, and her products are better than anything I've tried. If you were to buy Paula's Choice and have a question about a product, can you call up Paula personally? I'm guessing you can't. The ingredients are not hidden. They are just not on her site. I don't know if there's a reason for it or not. I've been a customer for over 23 years, like many of her clients, and I don't believe she advertises. If you're lucky enough to find out about her products and take advantage of it, good for you. Others can go on searching and searching.

I will not be using the product I mentioned in the quote above nor dealing with that "company" again. Extremely unprofessional experience.

However, I have started using a 5% BHA from Diana Yvonne (http://www.dianayvon...2-oz-19-pH.html) which seems to be working quite well. I'll have to update you when I've used it for a few more days, but it's starting to loosen the sebaceous filaments on my nose and cheek area. This is formulated at 1.9 pH so it is quite a bit more potent than anything from Clearasil. It burns a bit and I have to neutralize it with cold water after about 6 minutes.

It seems that Clearasil's products add so many fillers that it prevents the salicylic acid from doing its magic.

I would love to hear your results after you use it a while longer. I'm still stuck at 2% at 3.0 pH but will be ready to go a bit stonger soon.

However, I have started using a 5% BHA from Diana Yvonne (http://www.dianayvon...2-oz-19-pH.html) which seems to be working quite well. I'll have to update you when I've used it for a few more days, but it's starting to loosen the sebaceous filaments on my nose and cheek area. This is formulated at 1.9 pH so it is quite a bit more potent than anything from Clearasil. It burns a bit and I have to neutralize it with cold water after about 6 minutes.

I would love to hear your results after you use it a while longer. I'm still stuck at 2% at 3.0 pH but will be ready to go a bit stonger soon.

It has been working great. Out of about 12 stubborn clogged pores, I only have 3 left. I have been using it every day 6 days a week.

It has been working great. Out of about 12 stubborn clogged pores, I only have 3 left. I have been using it every day 6 days a week.

Are you experiencing any peeling?

Yes, I'm getting some flakies, nothing horrible though.

Are you needing to use extra moisturizer?

Do you know yet if you'll discontinue the 5% SA when all your clogged pores are gone or if you'll continue with it for prevention?

Yes, I'm getting some flakies, nothing horrible though.

Are you needing to use extra moisturizer?

Do you know yet if you'll discontinue the 5% SA when all your clogged pores are gone or if you'll continue with it for prevention?

I moisturize morning and night right now, so not really. I do need to take a washcloth and exfoliate a bit for the flakes though. I plan to use it until the clogs are gone and then see what my skin does. These are clogs I've had for years, so I don't know if I'll even get new clogs since spiro has stopped my acne and oil issues.