Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
puffnoodles

Is My Regimen Effective?

I have very bad red marks on both sides of my face and this is what i currently use:

Morning:

1. Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash

2. BP 10%

3. Cetaphil Mositurizer

4. Mederma with spf 30 (also works as my sunscreen)

Night:

1. Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash

2. Differin .1%

Is this regimen effective? I use the mederma twice a day, once in the morning and another application at noon. I don't know if it's smart to put it on at night along with the differin. I also take 100mg doxycycline twice a day.

I have been suffering with acne since i was a teenager and i'm now in my twenties. My red marks on my face have never been this worse. I'm really starting to lose hope that I would be able to get clear skin once again

also, whenever i do get new acne, it would ALWAYS leave a red spot on my face, instead of just fading away completely. is this normal??

If you have been using your regimen for a few months with no improvement then it is not working...and if your acne is under control then it is working. Anyways, you are probably experiencing red spots left over because your regimen seems to be pretty irritating. 10% BP concentration is much too high IMO. I would switch it for a 2.5% one. Also, I don't like cetaphil, it breaks me out (according to a study done a while ago using rabbit ears, it does have ingredients which clog pores...just google "skin detective").

Also, I would highly recommend moisturizing at night after you put the differin on.

Please don't use antibiotics (doxy), they mess your body up really bad and you will either have to stop taking them eventually or they will stop working. A good topical regimen will likely never stop working unlike antibiotics. I hate seeing people use them for acne...they should be used for life threatening diseases which can be cured in a few weeks....UNLIKE acne which you need a stable regimen for a long time to treat/cure.

I definitely notice less breakouts now, but I was wondering if putting mederma in my regimen is a good idea. I have a lot of red marks left over, and it was down to mederma or bio oil for an OTC treatment. i decided to go with mederma because it also contained spf, meaning i wouldnt have to add in sunblock to my regimen.

Not sure if the mederma is good or not, sorry. Honestly though, the main ingredient of onion extract or whatever seems kind of sketchy. I would use a normal SPF and then use an AHA or BHA or something legitimate for the red marks and scars. Thats my humble opinion though.

If you have been using your regimen for a few months with no improvement then it is not working...and if your acne is under control then it is working. Anyways, you are probably experiencing red spots left over because your regimen seems to be pretty irritating. 10% BP concentration is much too high IMO. I would switch it for a 2.5% one.

agreed, 10% is way too much, if its keeping acne away then dont stop using BP but just switch to 2.5%

ive used mederma before, it was ok. i only noticed a tiny difference. AHA helped a lot with red marks but it also gave me a lot of redness. so its kind of up to you which one you want to use